Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NHL is better than NBA

Banned
    I agree with you Majestic. A hard salary cap would disperse the talent more evenly, thus creating what we (as fans) all want...close nail-biting games, much like the NFL (the greatest professional league btw). However, until the stubborn guys in the position to make this sort of change get their heads out of their asses, I'm content to watch the checking, grinding style of hockey because this is what is, FOR NOW AT LEAST, keeping the games close...and what allows my Flames to win at least 20 games a year .

I didn't read what any of you are saying, but if you're saying the NHL is better than the NBA, I concur!

"The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Pocket Canuck
    As for your remark regarding Minnesota, yes, people in Minnesota are thrilled that their inferior team beat the Avs.....BUT THE REST OF THE WORLD ISN'T BECAUSE THE RULES ALLOW SH*TTY PLAYERS TO RUIN GOOD PLAYS BY TALENTED PLAYERS.
    I agree whole heartedly

The best NHL fans (I won't say "hockey fans", but "NHL fans") are in Detroit (i.e. HockeyTown),
    That entire hockey town thing is BS and everyone knows it.

Its like calling New Orleans BaskeTown. WTF
    --- Sheik ---
    Age-31
    Height - 5'6"
    Weight - 185ish

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Originally posted by IceRgrrl

I disagree--they are too different to compare in that way. Hockey is an anaerobic sport...the players are going close to full out so 30-45 second shift is about all you can get out of the anaerobic energy system before you need to recover. Basketball is an aerobic sport (with occasional anaerobic bursts) allowing the player to stay out longer. I've played or tried to play hockey games with 2-3 subs and it doesn't work too well. You get so fatigued that you cannot recover enough to play well and everyone slows down to a crawl or just dumps the puck to get a breather.

This explaination makes not sense.... So hockey is a sport that requires no air???
    w00t

Strongman
    This is obviously personal preference. But if you are talking about which is a better business/league then it's clearly the NBA. For these 3 main reasons among others:

1. Star Power (McGrady, Kobe, Shaq, Garnett, AI, the list goes on and on)

2. Marketting - David Stern is somewhat of a genius here.

3. TV contracts - ABC/ESPN just outbid NBC in a billion dollar battle. The NHL takes second fiddle in games aired and ratings.

Everything else Majestic pretty much summed up. And if you are a sports fan, enjoy BOTH playoffs because they have been excellent so far.
    Four-Time World's Strongest Man

Sports are over-rated.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by Rastaman
    I didn't read what any of you are saying, but if you're saying the NHL is better than the NBA, I concur!

I concur with your concurment.
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

That entire hockey town thing is BS and everyone knows it.
    I don't intend to post again on this....we're all entitled to our opinions. Within the U.S......i.e. the NHL, which now has almost ZERO Canadian teams, Detroit is second to none, period.

If you want to go back in time, you could make an argument for Boston, as a franchise, but not the support from the town. Anyway, that was in the 60's or whatever, so while it's noteworthy, it's not current or relevant.

The Wings have piled up dominating seasons as well as Cups ever since the NHL was formed.

It's not like we're comparing Detroit to any town in Canada, or Sweden, or some other nation where the priorities are different.

It's called "HockeyTown U.S.A." because of the fan base in Detroit compared to other U.S. cities, that's all. We're not saying we're the friggin' Montreal Canadiens of planet Earth.

And finally, your comparison to New Orleans and basketball is nothing short of ludicrous.

New Orleans barely has the capacity to support *any* professional basketball club. It's because of the socioeconomic status of the city, and the general temperament and priorities of the people that live there.

Detroit can support anything, so I'm not real clear on your comparison there. Nobody ever said Detroit invented hockey, or is even the greatest franchise in the history of the NHL (they're probably top 3, everything considered). "Hockeytown" merely refers to the American psychos that flock to Joe Louis 3 times a week to pack the arena, throw octopus on the ice, and watch people bash each other, while scarfing down Little Ceasar's pizza.
    Last edited by Majestic; 04-24-2003 at 08:24 PM.

Suprisingly I've stayed away from this thread. But I just wanted to say one thing. Today's NHL talent has NOT gone down the toilet. I use guys like Sakic, Jagr, Forsberg etc as my examples. I understand that none of these guys have scored 92 goals in a single season like Gretzky did, nor did they record a 200 point season like Gretzky did. But these guys are definately talented, Sakic by far has the quickest release I have ever seen, probably the best wrist shot the game has ever seen. Then there is Forsberg and Jagr, two guys that are extremly hard to knock off the puck. Forsberg is one of the first european players I've seen play a North American style gritty game, whereas Jagr has some of the softest hands I've ever seen. This list of talented players is endless...
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Mystic Eric
    Ya talent like Bertuzzi's ability to finish on breakaways lol.

The talent is still there. Although if you look at the way Gretzky and Lemieux played back then it was just unbelievable. But to defend the talent today, the defence is tougher and rougher than it used to be back then and the guys are much stronger therefore can hit harder. Although I could be wrong...

Banned
    The talent is still there. The style of game has changed and the talent is no longer showcased like it once was.

Not to mention the goalie equipment is twice the size it used to be. Anyone see the size of Khabibulin's pads? They're like twin size mattresses.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Mystic Eric
    lol what about guigere's? A taller, quicker goalie can see better and has less weaknesses (ie too short to stop top shelf)

I also wanted to add, a lot people try to compare today's superstars to Gretzky when he was back in his Oiler days. I find it hard to compare players such as Forsberg to Gretzky. Gretzky was never the fastest skater, hardest shooter, or had the softest hands. He just had an incredible ability to read the game, he knew what plays/situations were gonna develop before they happened. I'm not saying no one in the game does that today, just not quite to his degree. Nowadays, I think we see a lot more skill in regards to skating, puck handling, shooting, checking etc.. which is not a bad thing, but I think it just makes it hard to compare todays stars to the greatest star of the game.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Mystic Eric
    Originally posted by Manveet
    I also wanted to add, a lot people try to compare today's superstars to Gretzky when he was back in his Oiler days. I find it hard to compare players such as Forsberg to Gretzky. Gretzky was never the fastest skater, hardest shooter, or had the softest hands. He just had an incredible ability to read the game, he knew what plays/situations were gonna develop before they happened. I'm not saying no one in the game does that today, just not quite to his degree. Nowadays, I think we see a lot more skill in regards to skating, puck handling, shooting, checking etc.. which is not a bad thing, but I think it just makes it hard to compare todays stars to the greatest star of the game.
    You see that's what makes great players though. Skill and the ablility to manipulate the game by analyzing/understanding the situation. Kinda like Jordan in his prime.
    Last edited by Mystic Eric; 04-24-2003 at 11:08 PM.

Arguing which is better, Hockey or Basketball > arguing if Canada or the US is better

I'm still not getting involved though
    Man, if he do but live within the light of high endeavors, daily spreads abroad his being armed with strength that cannot fail.

--Wordsworth

Banned
    It's more like hockey vs. baseball = Canada vs. US, but the result is still the same .

Pocket Canuck
    Kinda like Jordan in his prime
    OH NOOOOOOOOOOO
    --- Sheik ---
    Age-31
    Height - 5'6"
    Weight - 185ish

Pocket Canuck
    a lot people try to compare today's superstars to Gretzky when
    I try to always stay away from the cross era comparisons as well. It just doesn't work (but it is fun over a couple of cold ones).

Can we all agree that the NHL needs some major ????
    That is the important thing we all need to take note of.
    --- Sheik ---
    Age-31
    Height - 5'6"
    Weight - 185ish

The change that I would like to see the most is moving to an olympic size ice sheet, that is all they need to do imo. I still don't understand the point of manipulating a 200 ft. ice sheet like they are doing right now (moving the goal line out, shrinking the neutral zone) the ice surface still stays the same size despite these manipulations. Olympic size is the way to go.

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Well there are many aspects to hockey, so just going to olympic size ice, may open things up, but it will also make it more difficult to hit. Hitting is also part of the game. I don't know how much this will reduce the clutch and grab anyway, I think this needs to be addressed through the officiating, which they keep saying they'll do, and always start that way but resort to whatever they did last year after a month or so.

I think that more value needs to be made out of regular season performance. I'm not sure if a bye is the answer, as it's depriving hockey towns of potentially a couple weeks of their team playing. I don't know the answer to that one.

I'd love to see them get rid of the two line offside, and I still am absolutely dumbfounded and clueless as to what dumbsh!t made the off-side rule as it is now. You put the puck in offside, and clear the zone, the other team can take as long as it wants, and the ref will blow the whistle eventually if you take too long, or the other team goes back and challenges for the puck. WTF was wrong with clearing the zone and then going back in, like every other ice hockey league in the entire world has? I can't even think of a theoretical reason for them to have changed this.

Of course, no touch icing I'm also in agreement of. Touch icing is more of a detriment than anything else, and not worth keeping. Too many injuries result from this rule.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

That was the best and most "summarizing" post of the thread, Megatron.

I agreed with every line of it.

Originally posted by ElPietro
    Well there are many aspects to hockey, so just going to olympic size ice, may open things up, but it will also make it more difficult to hit. Hitting is also part of the game. I don't know how much this will reduce the clutch and grab anyway, I think this needs to be addressed through the officiating, which they keep saying they'll do, and always start that way but resort to whatever they did last year after a month or so.

I think that more value needs to be made out of regular season performance. I'm not sure if a bye is the answer, as it's depriving hockey towns of potentially a couple weeks of their team playing. I don't know the answer to that one.

I'd love to see them get rid of the two line offside, and I still am absolutely dumbfounded and clueless as to what dumbsh!t made the off-side rule as it is now. You put the puck in offside, and clear the zone, the other team can take as long as it wants, and the ref will blow the whistle eventually if you take too long, or the other team goes back and challenges for the puck. WTF was wrong with clearing the zone and then going back in, like every other ice hockey league in the entire world has? I can't even think of a theoretical reason for them to have changed this.

Of course, no touch icing I'm also in agreement of. Touch icing is more of a detriment than anything else, and not worth keeping. Too many injuries result from this rule.

Great post. Two line passing can be pretty stupid, but what if he passes the puck from the center line into the opposing blue line? other than that.. it's dumb. I think the change to the offside rule is retarded.
    However, I disagree with no touch icing, I think touch icing gives the team a chance to keep it alive... if they work that hard to get the puck, they deserve to have it.
    An olympic area ice surface would be awesome. It totally opens the game up.
    "Let's hope the ship has a captain, in other words, since we're not taking part in what's going on."
    -Noam Chomsky
    "It's like putting pearls on swine. You can dress up a pig... but it's still a pig... isn't it? oink oink oink..oink oink"
    -Henry Rollins
    Push the envelope... watch it bend..
    -Tool
    "In the valley of the shadow of death... I fear no one, because i am the baddest mother****er in the valley!"

An olympic area ice surface would be awesome. It totally opens the game up.
    I was never happier watching hockey than I was during the Olympics.

Great style of play, great games to watch.

This is stupid, thats like saying steak is better then chicken, it all comes down to preference.