The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Originally posted by GonePostal

This explaination makes not sense.... So hockey is a sport that requires no air???
    No, it is a sport that requires the body to use it's anaerobic energy system as it's primary source of energy and not the aerobic system. Read a basic physiology book or take basic biology if this doesn't make sense.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Originally posted by Majestic

Erm.....ESPN is the only channel that shows hockey....you realize that, right?
    I haven't read the whole thread is see if anybody corrected you. ESPN is not the only channel to show hockey. ABC, I think Fox and I am pretty some of the other stations.
    I like hockey but basketball doesn't interest me.
    I like football the best. Every game means something. The problem with hockey, baseball and basketball is the games have no significance. You lose so what there is 80 more games. Football 16, you have to win. When you get to the play if you lose you go home, no second chance. I like that.
    I like hockey for the action but I like football for the stradegy.
    As far as baseball there like hamsters run a course. A maze would be more interesting.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Originally posted by IceRgrrl

No, it is a sport that requires the body to use it's anaerobic energy system as it's primary source of energy and not the aerobic system. Read a basic physiology book or take basic biology if this doesn't make sense.
    I have, and that is why it does not make sense. You can't have anaerobic exercise... By definition anaerobic means lack of oxygen. You can dip into your anaerobic energy cycle but that is after you out strip your aerobic energy cycle. Due to hockey's very short shifts wouldn't more of the energy be coming from aerobic sources? Because you can recover and get rid of the latic acid before you go too much into the anearobic cycle? While on the other hand in the NBA it is more of a constant energy drain over a longer period of time so your body never gets a chance to clear all the latic acid out and aerobic cycle never gets a chance to catch up.
    w00t

I've never played basketball or hockey to any great extent, but to me they seem similar on the activity level. Your always on the move. but that is just my ignorant observation.

I have, and that is why it does not make sense. You can't have anaerobic exercise... By definition anaerobic means lack of oxygen. You can dip into your anaerobic energy cycle but that is after you out strip your aerobic energy cycle. Due to hockey's very short shifts wouldn't more of the energy be coming from aerobic sources? Because you can recover and get rid of the latic acid before you go too much into the anearobic cycle? While on the other hand in the NBA it is more of a constant energy drain over a longer period of time so your body never gets a chance to clear all the latic acid out and aerobic cycle never gets a chance to catch up.
    Can't have anaerobic exercise?

Just because aerobic metabolism is active in the recovery phase most certainly does not mean it's fueling the activity itself. Glycolysis is going to fuel any short-lived activity that's not of the absolute highest intensity.

And just why would a basketball game be different from a metabolic standpoint than hockey? If anything, hockey is *more* anaerobic.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

hockey definately has the toughest SOB's ive ever seen, last year when i watched most of the playoffs, this dude got his shoulder dislocated and they popped it back in, and he returned to the game in the next period.

as much as i love baseball, there are 2 premier players out for 6 weeks right now with dislocated shoulders....sissy's
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma

I have, and that is why it does not make sense. You can't have anaerobic exercise...

Then you don't fully understand anaerobic exercise/energy system. I think you are operating under the misconception that the anaerobic system kicks in only after the aerobic system is tapped and that is not true. Both energy systems are options for the body at any time, depending on conditions/intensity of exertion. Also, the terms aerobic/anaerobic are commonly used to describe types of cardiovascular exercise, but more specifically, they refer to two separate energy generating processes that take place at the cellular level...whether those cells are muscle cells or bone cells or blood cells or lung cells may mean that different cells are using different energy systems at different times.

By definition anaerobic means lack of oxygen. You can dip into your anaerobic energy cycle but that is after you out strip your aerobic energy cycle.
    You can go straight to your anaerobic system and not use the aerobic system at all. If you take off at a dead sprint, you are not taking in enough oxygen to supply the aerobic system...you're using energy way too fast, so your body goes right to the anaerobic system which produces ATP without oxygen BUT produces lactic acid as a by-product. This is what the term anaerobic/"without oxygen" strictly refers to...yes, you are still breathing at the organismal level but your cells are resorting to the option that does not require oxygen because all available oxygen is being used up too quickly. You can't sustain that high an intensity level of exertion for very long and therefore must stop and recover OR slow down to the point where the aerobic system can begin to take over, which uses oxygen to produce ATP more efficiently than the anaerobic system does and without producing lactic acid.

Due to hockey's very short shifts wouldn't more of the energy be coming from aerobic sources? Because you can recover and get rid of the latic acid before you go too much into the anearobic cycle?
    No, because of what I explained in the previous paragraph. Each shift is short but very high intensity...it taps the anaerobic system. The aerobic energy cycle does not produce lactic acid. However, specific muscles MAY produce lactic acid if they are being especially targeted/worked and resorting to ATP production via the anaerobic process.

While on the other hand in the NBA it is more of a constant energy drain over a longer period of time so your body never gets a chance to clear all the latic acid out and aerobic cycle never gets a chance to catch up.
    The fact that one guy can play most of the game with little to no breaks means that he is mainly using aerobic energy sources. It's like the difference between running the 100m dash and the 1600m run. To run so fast in the 100m, the person must go all out for a very short period of time, using so much energy in a short period of time that the primary energy source is anaerobic. A person cannot run with that same intensity/speed in the 1600m...he must pace himself to the point where he is using the aerobic system to keep up a continuous supply of energy to allow him to finish the race. If he is a good athlete, he's figured out exactly how much/how far he can push the limits of his aerobic system and can then time a last final anaerobic kick to the finish line.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

I think he got the two mixed up.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer