Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The CKD experience

The CKD experience

Well, I was going to wait until I started bulking again before starting this mofo back up, but I figured it'd be cool to have my CKD experience documented.

So, here we go...

So far I've had no carbs since sunday, and feeling great. Training is scheduled around the carb load and goes as follows:

Monday - Back/Shoulders/biceps

Chins-2x6-10
    T-Bar Row-2x8-12
    DB shoulder Press-2x4-6, 1x8-12
    Straight-Bar Curl-1x4-6, 1x8-12

Tuesday - Chest/Triceps/Legs

DB Press-2x8-12
    Dips-2x4-6
    Skull Crusher-2x4-6
    Squat-2x8-12
    SLDL-2x8-12
    Calf Raise-2x10-15

Wednesday and Thrusday - Off

Friday - Full body depletion

Squat-1x20
    T-Bar Row-1x15-20
    Bench Press-1x15-20
    Leg Curl-1x15-20

-Repeat 2x...little to no rest between each exercise.

My diet is as follows (monday-saturday):

Meal 1 - 9:00am

1 can of tuna
    3tbs mayo
    1 tbs olive oil
    1 cap thermadrene
    16oz water
    1 multivitamin, 400IU vit E, 1 cal/mag, 5g glutamine

Cals-456
    Pro-33g
    Carb-0g
    Fat-36g

10:00am - 10:30am - Weight Train

Meal 2 - 10:45am

6 whole eggs
    1 tbs olive oil
    1 multivitamin, 5g creatine, 5g glutamine, 50mg 5-HTP
    16oz water
    lettuce

Cals-513
    Pro-36g
    Carb-0g
    Fat-41g

Meal 3 - 1:00pm

4oz ground beef
    1 tbs olive oil
    lettuce

Cals-394
    Pro-22g
    Carb-0g
    Fat-34g

Meal 4 - 4:00pm

6 whole eggs
    1 tbs olive oil
    lettuce

Cals-513
    Pro-36g
    Carb-0g
    Fat-41g

Meal 5 - 8:00pm

1 can of tuna
    3tbs mayo
    lettuce
    50mg 5-HTP

Cals-456
    Pro-33g
    Carb-0g
    Fat-36g

Totals

Cals-2372
    Pro-160g - 27%
    Carbs-10-20g - 3%
    Fat-188g-71%

Water is about 6 liters.

On sunday I will carb load with 800g of carbs, as little fat as possible, and 160-170g of protein.

That said, so far things are going great, feeling very energized but it's probably due to the fact that I still have some glycogen to burn before I drop into a coma. I had a slight case of ketone breath this morning, nothing major...I expect to hit ketosis by Thrusday morning, Friday at the latest.

Training has been good on Monday and Tuesday, Monday's workout was kinda ****ty but todays was great, progressed on all lifts.

Edit: Forgot to throw in my stats:

Bodyweight - 170lbs (as of monday morning)
    Height - 5'9
    Bodyfat % - Well, I used my little POS calipers and they told me I am 9.6%, which I know is not accurate. I'd estimate about 10-12%, although the caliper measurement sounds better.

Will try to update this thing daily.
    Last edited by Cackerot69; 08-07-2001 at 11:38 PM.

So you'll be back at 150 in no time...bwhahahahaha.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Haha, but a ripped 150

I never thought I would hear Cackerot say "A ripped 150"

Good Luck Cack I'll be reading........
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Good Luck Cack

Well, after consulting with Paul he informed me that my depletion workout needs to be longer, so I'll make that change. Basically, I'm going to go by feel...I've also been going through Lyle's CKD journal from a while back (1996), and was surprised to see his weight at a whopping 150lbs.

Anyway, besides being extremely flat which isn't psychologically pleasing, I know it's only temporary...I'm still feeling surpisingly well. Perhaps I still have some glycogen left, perhaps I just feel good on the diet, I never picked up keto sticks so I really don't know 100%.

Yesterday was 100% perfect of the diet and water intake, although I think my fat to protein ratio could be a little higher, dunno if I will change it yet. Next week Monday and Teusday's workouts will be a little higher on volume, as to deplete glycogen quicker for more time in ketosis, and if I continue to feel as good as I am now on the diet I may switch to a TKD for even more time in ketosis.

I'm finding it very hard to sleep on this diet, but despite the lack of sleep I am still very energized, which could be good or bad.

That it.

This makes for good reading.Very interesting.Good luck with your program, Cack.

OK, I'm now in ketosis based on this fooking ketone breath. Perhaps I will start experimenting with different amounts of carbs during the week to see how high I can go while staying in ketosis. I was a little worried about not getting in on time, because it was taking longer than expected...thinking my drinking of diet coke and sugar free jello could be spiking my insulin via cepho-physiological response or whatever the fook it's called, but it's all good now.

After I eat my final meal today diet will be perfect, I dropped protein down a bit to 150g and upped fat to 200g to and cals are about the same. Water is perfect, on at least 6 liters, lost count, thirsty as hell for whatever reason.

No training today or tomorrow, I may add some cardio in depending on how's things go, but so far everything is going great.

I'm looking a little leaner today but it's probably due to sub-cutaneous water depletion, or not...hopefully the latter, heh. Will be weighing myself before my carb load to see how much punier I get from my usual puny self just due to water and glucose depletion, and compare to my weight post-carb load...which is when I will take innaccurate bodyfat measurements.

Well, things are going much better than I could have expected, and that it for today.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Good luck puny boy!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I burned some extra cals today, went swimming, played a little basketball, etc...but diet remianed good (although meal timing was off), I still have a couple meals to eat. When I woke up this morning I was noticably leaner, which is surprising, if things keep up at this rate I'll be 6% in 3-4 weeks...but I doubt they will.

I'm still feeling very well on this diet, better than when I was eating carbs actually. Perhaps due to insulin? Dunno. I've been advised by blacky to throw in a potassium supplement and drop the carb load down to 600g, instead of 800g. Blacky also mentioned uppeing the fat : protein ratio in meal one to help stay in ketosis (prevent gluconeogensis), so I'll make that tweak. The carb load will by on Sunday so the depletion workout will be on saturday...I'm not really looking forward to the carb load at all, more of a chore than anything, but I gotta do it I guess. This diet is extremely easy for me to stick to, which goes against what most report...so that's cool.

I've been noticing I seem to be getting more hungry and thirsy than when I first started the diet, for unknown reasons.

As an aside, I was speaking to Tryska yesterday and I think she's trying to scare the sh*t out of me with all these health problems and crap. Saying I'm more thirsty because I need to drink less water or some weird stuff like that. I think that girl is crazy, nevermind being a gooface.

I've also never thought lettuce could taste so damn good, I ate like 5 heads of lettuce, and I'm out of it now...so that sucks.

Anyhow, still feeling great on the diet and leaning up (could be water depletion, or whatever, hence I say leaning up rather than losing fat) much quicker than expected...although my puny muscles are extremely flat, when I carb load that will (should) not be a problem.

Well, that it for today.

okay so...blacky tells you to supplement with potassium and you believe him....and i tell you to supplement with potassium, and explain why, and i'm crazy?

that's sexism gooey.

btw...you stink something awful, keto-breath.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Good luck cack.
    PS: CKD or not I'll be ripped before your fat ass even knows it.
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    GL Cack...glad to hear it's going well so far...

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Shoulders the day before chest?

I'm gonna side w/ Ron on this one. Sorry Bitch.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Diet was perfect today although I've been eating less clean foods (sausage, steak, hot dogs, etc) Lyle claims it doesn't make a difference...but I'm skeptical. I'll be going back to clean food from now on. Cals will be down a bit next week, dropped them down to 2100, with protein at 140 and fat at 170.

Tomorrow I get to stuff my face with as many carbs as possible, woohoo! Not looking forward to to the 60-90 minute depletion workout though, I haven;'t gone above 45 minutes for a while, but it's high reps and relatively low intensity (3 reps short of failure)...circuit training and stuff.

I feel extremely well on this diet still, so I must just feel good on the diet because there's no way I have any glucose left at this point...I am starting to crave carbs but they are only a day away so it's no prob. I've become an aspartame junky though, and Tryska keeps telling me it will rot my brain and give my parkensins and alzheimers or however you spell them...but I don't really buy it, last I heard those studies were done on rats feeding them 7 times their bodyweight in nutrasweet...ain't exactly my intake.

I'll be taking weight and innaccurate bodyfat measurements tomorrow morning, so that should be interesting. I better not be like 150lbs, lol...I'd be pissed. Anyhow, my carb and glucose depleted weight will undoubtedly be lower than my carbed up weight, so I won't worry about it much whatever it comes out as.

Well, that it.

those were th cancer studies on saccharin, gooey....but anyway...don't believe me....but like i told you....when you get old and forget how to get to your house....don't call me for directions....i'll send you on a wild goosechase just for the hell of it....:evillaugh
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Weight = 166lbs
    Innaccurate bodyfat% = 8.2%

More updates later, just had to write these down so I don't forget.

Well the depletion workout sucked, had no energy at all. I did one run through the circuit then got half way through another and basically ran out of energy. I guess that whats they mean when they say "you just know when you're glucose depleted", heh. So, the carb load has begun and will continue until sunday night, then monday it's back to trace carbs. So far the carb load is going good, feeling a little light headed for whatever reason, but nothing major.

There shouldn't be much if any fat regain during the carb up so long as I keep fat pretty low and protein at about 1g per pound. So far this is the best diet I've ever done as far as fat loss goes, and I'll probably keep using it in the future. Gonna be interesting to see how much weight I gain back after the carb load.

Well if things keep up at this rate I'll be 6% in two weeks, which is right where I wanted to be...then it's time to become a fat ass again. I'm a little worried about fat re-gain from when you go back to traditional dieting, i.e. adding carbs back in, I'll go with an isocaloric diet when I go back so insulin is kept in check as to minimize the fat re-gain.

I'll be taking bodyweight and bodyfat % after the carb-up (monday morning).

That it.
    Last edited by Cackerot69; 08-11-2001 at 05:28 PM.

Carb load = ace.

Nothing really to report.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I'd be interested to hear about LBM changes in this kind of diet. I'm 215 @ around 16% BF.. I'd be interested in losing some BF, but don't wanna sacrifice much muscle. Keep up the good work, Cacker-whacker.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

After the carb load I was still 166lbs, which is kinda odd. I did fill up though, wasn't so flat. I have like no food left so all monday every meal = cheese and oil...mmm. I decided to do my entire upper body on monday, and nothing progressed, but I didn't lose any strength, which is exactly what I'm going for. Gonna get my sleeping drugs refilled so I can sleep, for some reason keto gives me insomnia.

Tomorrow will be legs/abs, and I should be back in full ketosis by wednesday. This week cals are a little lower, at about 2100, 140 protein, 170 fat, going to be taking ECA 2x a day 5 days a week with the weekends off, rather than just pre-workout.

Anyhow, I think I mighta been a little low on carbs for the carb load, only got about 500g in, but I should be ok. I also forgot to kick myself outta ketosis before saturdays depletion workout, which is probably why it sucked so bad.

Will be taking weight and bodyfat on saturday, and again post carb load.

That it.

Me = ripped mofo.

So far I've been 100% consistent every single day I've been on this diet, training and all, which may be a huge part of why it is working so well. I added in green tea 3x a day this week, and next week I'm switching to a TKD for a few reasons:

1. I feel great without carbs.

2. I don't like how limiting CKD training is.

3. More time in ketosis.

etc...

Training yesterday went well, I upped deads 10lbs, SLDL 5lbs, leg ext 5lbs, and did hanging leg raises for 6 reps. I always train better on tuesday than monday which is kinda odd, dunno why.

I've found I can eat up to about 30g of carbs while staying in ketosis.

That it.
    Last edited by Cackerot69; 08-16-2001 at 05:41 AM.

Cack, TKD is having your only carb source after each workout correct? Does that allow you to always stay in ketosis?
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I thought TKD was having it before a workout, to fuel your workout?
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!