The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Nice workout Mixta:thumup:

I think you will like the lower reps, if for nothing more than a change of pace.

Nice workout Mixta

I think you will like the lower reps, if for nothing more than a change of pace.
    Thanks Bradley, im looking forward to it

Monday 5th May

Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

Incline Smith Machine

1*5 @ 88lbs
    1*5 @ 88

Felt a bit of pain in the lower part of my delt so I moved on to another exercise.

Hammer Chest Press

1*6 @ 176lbs
    1*6 @ 220
    1*5 @ 176
    1*5 @ 176
    1*5 @ 220

Great exercise I felt this more in my chest than my shoulders, good ROM too as you push until the two hands meet each other.

Peck Deck

1*5 @ 30lbs (warmup)
    1*5 @ 50
    1*5 @ 60
    1*5 @ 70
    1*5 @ 70
    1*5 @ 75
    1*5 @ 75

I then realised I forgot to do the Pec Flyes

Seated Cable Peck Flyes

1*5 @ 30 lbs (warmup)
    1*5 @ 90
    1*5 @ 110
    1*5 @ 120
    1*5 @ 130
    1*5 @ 130
    1*5 @ 120

CableTricep Pushdowns

1*5 @ 30 lbs
    1*5 @ 70
    1*5 @ 80
    1*5 @ 70
    1*5 @ 70
    1*5 @ 70

Form could be a bit better

Did some work on the delt machine, tried skulls (I liked them )
    and I did some millitary presses in the smith machine with light weights because of my crook shoulder. Im trying to find my range with the weights as this is my first time with the lower reps.

And thats all.

The Tuna Tempter
    madd!! u changed to lower reps! I like the 4-6 range so much now, since doing max-ot type training.

Nice workout mate!

You're doing a heap of sets...there's over 20 sets there....I'm assuming some are warmups yah?

-Tank
    Life's too short to be small

madd!! u changed to lower reps! I like the 4-6 range so much now, since doing max-ot type training.
    Yeah I enjoyed the lower reps, definately a change in pace.

Nice workout mate!

Thanks

You're doing a heap of sets...there's over 20 sets there....I'm assuming some are warmups yah?
    Yeah I wasnt really sure how to attack the workout so I sort of builded my way up the weight until I found my range. Hopefully I can increase the weight some more and cut down a bit on the sets.

The Tuna Tempter
    Hopefully I can increase the weight some more and cut down a bit on the sets.
    Good idea

Thursday 8th May

Back

One Arm DB Rows

1*5 @ 95 lbs
    1*5 @ 95
    1*5 @ 95
    1*5 @ 95

Chin ups (Wide grip)

3,2,2,2,2,1 @ BW (225 lbs)

1*12 @ BW (assisted with spotter holding my legs)

Happy to get off the chin up machine but form needs a bit more work

Deadlifts

1*5 @ 50 kg up 10kg
    1*5 @ 50
    1*5 @ 50
    1*5 @ 50
    1*3 @ 50

Thats it, gym was totally packed tonight, either its full or theres nobody there at all. One guy was doing squats with the calf raise machine he was clearly doing it wrong but I wasnt gonna say anything. Last time I tried to help somebody out I got my head bitten off. I was gonna do some bicep work but I think they got enough indirect work tonight as it is.

The Tuna Tempter
    nice workout man......I like how you've kept the workout basic with only 3 exercises

How's your deadlift form coming along?

One guy was doing squats with the calf raise machine
    You find these kind of people everywhere I think. They're not like us ay... What I wonder, is what the f*ck is going on in their heads when they do these kinds of things? Wouldn't a normal human's brain click and go 'ohhhh this machine isn't for squats!?' or 'crap! I'm only going down a quarter on squats'

-Tank

nice workout man......I like how you've kept the workout basic with only 3 exercises
    Thanks! Im enjoying it this way, by rights I should make more progress because I dont feel like im overtraining like I did last time.

How's your deadlift form coming along?
    not too bad, I get tempted to rack up some more weight but I want to take it easy just to be sure.

You find these kind of people everywhere I think. They're not like us ay... What I wonder, is what the f*ck is going on in their heads when they do these kinds of things? Wouldn't a normal human's brain click and go 'ohhhh this machine isn't for squats!?' or 'crap! I'm only going down a quarter on squats'
    lol, the machine has "Calf Raise Machine" written all over it and he is trying squats with his back turned towards the machine I know exactly what youre saying, lol

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    One guy was doing squats with the calf raise machine
    LOL! Thats awesome. By awesome I mean ridiculous. Maybe next time I'll try benching using the Calve Raise machine. Wait I'm not an idiot. At least not THAT much of an idiot.

Good workout mixta, nice and simple! Nice strength on the rows too! Oh and btw, soon you'll be the chinup machine!

Take it easy!

wibble

LOL! Thats awesome. By awesome I mean ridiculous. Maybe next time I'll try benching using the Calve Raise machine. Wait I'm not an idiot. At least not THAT much of an idiot.
    lol, I wouldnt be suprised if someone tried it. I did use the calve raise machine once for shrugs because I was too lazy to rack the bar up

Good workout mixta, nice and simple! Nice strength on the rows too! Oh and btw, soon you'll be the chinup machine!
    Thanks! I hope so, chins are pretty addictive so I will be sticking to them for a long time.

Saturday 10th May

Legs

Squats

1*5 @ 40 kg (88lbs)
    1*5 @ 40
    1*5 @ 40
    1*5 @ 50 kg
    1*5 @ 50

Felt really easy this week, its stuff all weight but this is my second time doing them so Im pleased with the improvement.

45 Degree Leg Press

1*10 @ 600 lbs
    1* 8 @ 600

Leg Extensions

1*5 @ 90 lbs
    1*5 @ 100
    1*5 @ 100
    1*5 @ 100

DB Lunges

1*5 @ 35 lbs on each hand
    1*5 @ 45
    1*5 @ 45
    1*5 @ 45

Standing Calve Raise

1*5 @ 280 lbs
    1*5 @ 280
    1*5 @ 280
    1*5 @ 260

And that is it, I wanted to do Stiffs but my back is a bit tired from the deads earlier in the week.

good job with the squats. they are a great lift to learn, and do. keep up the great work!
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

The Tuna Tempter
    Felt really easy this week, its stuff all weight but this is my second time doing them so Im pleased with the improvement.
    I tell ya man...once you get the form down on these they feel so easy like u said. You know when you've got the form down, coz it feels so much more natural.

You're using quite a fair bit on calve raises, what kind of tempo are you using on these?

btw..Nice leg session dude

-Tank

Energizer Bunnie
    Originally posted by mixta
    Its all good dude. Any improvement is a good one.... but whats the deal with going all imperial on us Aussies eh??? Lol....im working out over in the States and its a tough call getting all the measurements right I tells ya !!!

Metric system rocks
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Franjipani

Its all good dude. Any improvement is a good one.... but whats the deal with going all imperial on us Aussies eh??? Lol....im working out over in the States and its a tough call getting all the measurements right I tells ya !!!

Metric system rocks
    Hi Franji! Good to hear from you again! I feel bad about going imperial on you guys Nothing seems to be written in kilos where I am and it throws the other gym goers in a spin too so I ve given up converting the pounds to kilos so I know how you feel converting the pounds to kilos. Have fun in the States!

Tank23

You're using quite a fair bit on calve raises, what kind of tempo are you using on these?

btw..Nice leg session dude
    I count to 3 going right up, hold for a second then go down counting to 3 again. Im not in a hurry when I do these, I dont do that quick rubbish like the curl jockeys do at my gym- straight up and down with bugger all ROM Although im gonna switch to the seated calve raise because the foam is worn out on the shoulder pads of the standing calve machine and its scratching the sh*t out of my shoulders. Thanks!

GhettoSmurf

good job with the squats. they are a great lift to learn, and do. keep up the great work!
    They sure are, im still kicking myself for not doing them ages ago! Thanks!
    Last edited by mixta; 05-12-2003 at 06:09 AM.

Monday 12th May

Chest, Triceps

Hammer Chest Press

1*5 @ 176 lbs
    1*5 @ 176
    1*4 @ 264
    1*3 @ 264
    1*5 @ 242

Cable Pec Flyes

1*5 @ 110 lbs
    1*5 @ 120
    1*5 @ 130
    1*5 @ 130
    1*5 @ 130

Peck Deck

1*5 @ 75 lbs
    1*5 @ 75
    1*4 @ 75
    1*5 @ 70
    1*5 @ 70

Form needs work on these, might drop the weight a bit although im a bit reluctant to.

V-Shaped Bar Cable Tricep Pushdowns

1*5 @ 80 lbs
    1*5 @ 80
    1*5 @ 80
    1*5 @ 80
    1*4 @ 80

Hunched forward a bit with these on the last two sets so I will stick with these until they are perfect. I did a few hanginging leg raises-cant remember how many but I do remember the pain in my abs from doing them. Finally the handles for the leg raises has got slings fitted It used to give my triceps a workout instead of my abs!

The Tuna Tempter
    Hey Mixta!

Although im gonna switch to the seated calve raise because the foam is worn out on the shoulder pads of the standing calve machine and its scratching the sh*t out of my shoulders. Thanks!
    I don't think seated calve raises is really an alternative to the standing type. The seated variation hits mostly the soleus, whereas the standing type hits both the soleus and gastrocnemius (sp?). The soleus isn't very visible either, i don't think, coz it's hidden away under the gastrocnemius, or something like that.

Nice chest workout man! It sounds like a good idea to me, to drop the weight and concentrate more on form if you feel that you're not doing them right.

-tank

i agree as well, it looked like a great workout.

i'd also agree with bringing the weight down, and concentraiting on form.

when i did leg day saturday i lowered the weight on the leg curl machine, and really concentraited on my form and ROM, and my hammies are a lot sorer now, then they ever were after a leg day, when i was just going with heavy weight.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

I agree with Tank about the calf raises. If the machine gives you trouble you could perform the calf raises using the smith machine or leg press

Nice workouts BTW

Nice workout mixta, congrats on the PR's! I'll have to check ExRx though to see what a Hammer Chest Press is.

Wibble

Nice workout mixta, congrats on the PR's! I'll have to check ExRx though to see what a Hammer Chest Press is.
    Thanks! The pic on ExRx is of the cable type which I dont use. The Hammer Chest Press Machine I use is plate loaded and is pretty much the same as the legend Dorian Yates is using here and has a good ROM where when the arms are at lockout the hands touch each other:

http://www.petrukhine.ru/gallery/yat...ates_dorian_62

Bradley

I agree with Tank about the calf raises. If the machine gives you trouble you could perform the calf raises using the smith machine or leg press

Nice workouts BTW
    The Smith machine sounds like a good idea which sounds like the way to go. Leg press could be a good way to change things up a bit too. Thanks for the tips

GhettoSmurf

i'd also agree with bringing the weight down, and concentraiting on form.

when i did leg day saturday i lowered the weight on the leg curl machine, and really concentraited on my form and ROM, and my hammies are a lot sorer now, then they ever were after a leg day, when i was just going with heavy weight.
    Youre right there, Ive been guilty of piling on the weight and not giving form enough attention. Thanks man

Tank23

I don't think seated calve raises is really an alternative to the standing type. The seated variation hits mostly the soleus, whereas the standing type hits both the soleus and gastrocnemius (sp?). The soleus isn't very visible either, i don't think, coz it's hidden away under the gastrocnemius, or something like that.
    Good points there Tank, I always got a better workout with the standing type because youre using your bodyweight.Bradley suggested I use the smith or the leg press which I will consider until they fix the foam pads where the shoulders are placed on the standing calve machine.

Nice chest workout man! It sounds like a good idea to me, to drop the weight and concentrate more on form if you feel that you're not doing them right.
    Definately, thats the plan for next time around. Thanks for the input Tank

Thursday 15th May

Back

One arm DB Rows

1*5 @ 95 lbs
    1*5 @ 95
    1*5 @ 95
    1*5 @ 95

Wide Grip Chins

3,2,2,2,2,2,1 @ BW (225 lbs)

Form was sh*tty but my goal is to get to 100 lbs on the DBs which is why I do the DB rows first. then I will really focus on doing chins. I might even knock up something for home to do chins. I did some wide grip lat pulldowns after because my lats didnt feel fried enough

Wide grip Lat Pulldowns

1*12 @ 70 lbs
    1*12 @100

Deadlifts

1*5 @ 40 kgs (88 lbs)
    1*5 @ 40
    1*3 @ 55
    1*5 @ 55
    1*5 @ 60 kgs (+10kg)

Did a bit of ab work and that was it. I might start doing some grip work too for when the deads start getting heavier.Its Raining like mad at the moment, I wish it would stop

The Hammer Chest Press Machine I use is plate loaded and is pretty much the same as the legend Dorian Yates is using here and has a good ROM where when the arms are at lockout the hands touch each other
    Ahh I see, thanks for the enlightenment! Looks to me like the machine would give you the same sort of workout as dips would except you're stationary. That right?

Well take it easy and keep up the good work!