The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by mixta
    I will really focus on doing chins. I might even knock up something for home to do chins.
    If you want to do chins at home, one option is a doorway chin-up par. I use one like the one in the picture below. This type usually costs about $30 and does not require putting screws or anything permanent in the doorway. However, you might prefer doing assisted chin-ups on a machine at the gym until you work up to your desired rep range.

aka23

If you want to do chins at home, one option is a doorway chin-up par. I use one like the one in the picture below. This type usually costs about $30 and does not require putting screws or anything permanent in the doorway. However, you might prefer doing assisted chin-ups on a machine at the gym until you work up to your desired rep range.
    That doorway chin up bar looks like a good idea. I will definately look into that very soon. I used to do assisted chins on the machine at the gym but it is always being used which is why I decided to do them unassisted as I enjoy the exercise a lot. Thanks for the tips!

wibble

Looks to me like the machine would give you the same sort of workout as dips would except you're stationary. That right?
    very similar although the dips include a lot more synergist muscles (muscle that assists another muscle to complete the movement) which is why the dips are such a good exercise. Im doing the chest press at the moment because its not giving my sore shoulder any grief unlike when I do incline bench.

Saturday 17th May

Legs

Squats

1*5 @ 40 kg
    1*5 @ 50 kg
    1*5 @ 50
    1*5 @ 50
    1*5 @ 55 kg (+5kg)
    1*5 @ 55

Form was good,starting to go deeper too. Ill be good for more weight next week

45 Degree Leg Press

1*5 @ 400 lbs
    1*5 @ 400
    1*5 @ 400
    1*5 @ 400
    1*5 @ 400

Boring, I didnt feel like doing any more weight, not sure why.

Lying Leg Curl

1*5 @ 20 lbs
    1*5 @ 25
    1*5 @ 25
    1*5 @ 30
    1*5 @ 25

Stupid Hammies I might drop leg press for the time being and do some more hammie exercises because they need serious work.

Standing Calve Raises

1*5 @ 220 lbs
    1*5 @ 260
    1*5 @ 280
    1*5 @ 280
    1*5 @ 280

Did some ab work on the fitball and a bit of medicine ball work and that was it.

The Tuna Tempter
    Nice leg day mate

Your squats are coming along nicely. I reckon you don't need leg press in there if you're doing squats. Maybe try some SLDL for the hammies?
    Life's too short to be small

Thanks Tank! Im tending to think that I wont need leg press if im doing squats like you mentioned above. SLDL sounds like a good idea, but Im not sure my lower back will handle them with deads in the same week, but I will see what I can come up with. Thanks for the tips!

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    I agree with Tank on that one. I used to have problems with Deadlifts/SLDL in the same week as well. I changed my split up though and now do legs on Tuesday and back on Friday so my back gets plenty of time to recover between the two. You should try doing SLDL before your Deadlifts during the week because SLDL doesn't put near as much stress on your back as the Deadlifts.

Nice workout!

wibble

I agree with Tank on that one. I used to have problems with Deadlifts/SLDL in the same week as well. I changed my split up though and now do legs on Tuesday and back on Friday so my back gets plenty of time to recover between the two. You should try doing SLDL before your Deadlifts during the week because SLDL doesn't put near as much stress on your back as the Deadlifts.
    That sounds like a good idea wibble, I might try that one out because the lying leg curls seem like a waste of time for me. Thanks for the tips!

Sunday 19th May

Chest, Triceps, Biceps

Hammer Chest Press

1*5 @ 176 lbs
    1*5 @ 198
    1*5 @ 198
    1*5 @ 220
    1*5 @ 242

I dont really like how this machine has its starting position with my knuckles just behind my chest, its stressing my rotator cuffs a bit, and the seat is set back as far as it can go too. Its clearly designed for shorter people. I left a suggestion in the suggestion box to put thicker rubber blocks on than the ones on there already as the owner wasnt in.

Cable Flyes

1*5 @ 120 lbs
    1*5 @ 130
    1*5 @ 130
    1*5 @ 130
    1*5 @ 130
    1*3 @ 140

Peck Deck

1*5 @ 45 lbs
    1*5 @ 65
    1*5 @ 65
    1*5 @ 65
    1*5 @ 65

Form was much better this week.

Delt Machine

1*5 @ 40
    1*5 @ 40
    1*5 @ 40

Didnt want to stress the shoulders too much, funny thing is I feel the pain in my shoulder when I do lateral raises and yet I can do these on the delt machine all day. I think its because on this machine my arms are at a 90 degree angle whereas on the lat raises the arms are straight. I will go back to lat raises when my shoulder heals.

Cable Curls

1*5 @ 90 lbs
    1*5 @ 90
    1*3 @ 90
    1*3 @ 80
    1*5 @ 80

Cable Tricep Pushdowns

1*5 @ 80 lbs
    1*5 @ 80
    1*5 @ 80
    1*5 @ 80
    1*3 @ 80

Wanted to do skulls but I was pressed for time. I did a bit of treadmill work afterwards and that was it

That sounds like a good idea wibble, I might try that one out because the lying leg curls seem like a waste of time for me. Thanks for the tips!
    No problem, hope it works out for ya! I find progression in Lying Leg Curls really really slow. In the 3 months I've been working out I've only gone from 85lbs (I think, maybe 80) to 110lbs.

Nice workout even though you didn't get to finish. You'll kill on triceps next time! Good luck with the shoulder too, take it easy!

Stupid Hammies I might drop leg press for the time being and do some more hammie exercises because they need serious work.
    You might try some lunges as well. They are a great overall leg exercise. The SLDL sound like a good idea but you are right in that you need to allow proper recovery time for your lower back.

Have you thought about alternating leg exercises? You might could do squats and SLDL one week and then the next week do squats and lunges. There is nothing that says you have to do the same exercises each week

Do you perform any type of overhead presses for the delts?

Bradley

You might try some lunges as well. They are a great overall leg exercise. The SLDL sound like a good idea but you are right in that you need to allow proper recovery time for your lower back.
    I like doing DB lunges when I get the chance to do them. I didnt get around to doing them last time as I was in a bit of a hurry. The SLDL's and Deads are a bit of a worry but I will try them out and see how it goes.

Have you thought about alternating leg exercises? You might could do squats and SLDL one week and then the next week do squats and lunges. There is nothing that says you have to do the same exercises each week
    You have got a point there Bradley Im guilty of not changing things up with my leg exercises.

Do you perform any type of overhead presses for the delts?
    Prior to my injury I used to do DB overhead presses, or millitaries on the smith machine. Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated!

wibble

No problem, hope it works out for ya! I find progression in Lying Leg Curls really really slow. In the 3 months I've been working out I've only gone from 85lbs (I think, maybe 80) to 110lbs.
    For some reason I cant seem to get much progress out of the lying leg curls. Its very bad in comparison to my leg press. So it look like it will be lunges or SLDL

Nice workout even though you didn't get to finish. You'll kill on triceps next time! Good luck with the shoulder too, take it easy!
    Thanks wibble! I hope to give the tri's a thumping next time!

Monday 19th May

No workouts today as I did mine on Sunday instead knowing that my gym membership runs out today. Funny thing is that I never got a renewal notice for my membership one month earlier like I normally do (as it is deducted from my account every month) I asked the guy twice already and he said "he will fix it up for me" But every time he said it he had his back turned from me. Body language tells me that im being brushed but what can I do? Im gonna have a week off and look at my options. This is the last thing I need as Im starting to enjoy my workouts more than ever too.

The Tuna Tempter
    But every time he said it he had his back turned from me.
    @ss hole!! I hate arrogant barstards like that. You shoulda threw a tantrum at him

The rest could do you good eh... I doubt you'll see any atrophy in a week, you'll bounce back stronger and bigger most probably. So the guy prob did you a favour anyways. But still....screw that @ss hole!!

-Tank

No workouts today as I did mine on Sunday instead knowing that my gym membership runs out today. Funny thing is that I never got a renewal notice for my membership one month earlier like I normally do (as it is deducted from my account every month) I asked the guy twice already and he said "he will fix it up for me" But every time he said it he had his back turned from me. Body language tells me that im being brushed but what can I do? Im gonna have a week off and look at my options. This is the last thing I need as Im starting to enjoy my workouts more than ever too.
    If you like the gym, I would not let one poor employee prevent you from being a member. You could try being persistent and/or visiting when another employee is working. If you might prefer other gyms in your area, then they probably offer free temporary memberships. You test them out for a few days and see how you like them,

:withstupi

You were way down on page 3 so I thought I'd bump your journal. You might not have been able to find it!

Hehe see ya around bro!

Wibble

You were way down on page 3 so I thought I'd bump your journal. You might not have been able to find it!
    Lol, thanks

aka23

If you like the gym, I would not let one poor employee prevent you from being a member. You could try being persistent and/or visiting when another employee is working. If you might prefer other gyms in your area, then they probably offer free temporary memberships. You test them out for a few days and see how you like them,
    The problem is, the guy owns the place. A change of scenery is always good so maybe this is what I need. I will check out a couple of other places and see what comes of it. Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Tank23

@ss hole!! I hate arrogant barstards like that. You shoulda threw a tantrum at him
    lol, I was thinking about giving him a good old crowbarring but everything happens for a reason and I might have more fun somewhere else.

The rest could do you good eh... I doubt you'll see any atrophy in a week, you'll bounce back stronger and bigger most probably. So the guy prob did you a favour anyways But still....screw that @ss hole!!
    Thanks for the support Tank

Saturday 24th May

No workouts as yet. I plan on checking out a few places either tomorrow or earlier on in the week, I will find somewhere soon! Did some cardio on my pushbike riding for about an hour, went up one really steep hill but other than that the land was pretty flat.

The Tuna Tempter
    Sounds like fun mixta....I haven't rode my bike in ages.....it would be kinda cool goin for a ride sometime. But ehhh!! winter....cold....lazy....you get the idea, lol.

Tank23

Sounds like fun mixta....I haven't rode my bike in ages.....it would be kinda cool goin for a ride sometime. But ehhh!! winter....cold....lazy....you get the idea, lol.
    lol, I know what you mean, I had to really push myself to do this because its getting cold down here now.

I agree check out some other gyms and see what else is out there. I always find it fun to go to other gyms just for a change of scenery every now and then. I can't believe that you have to ask someone to take your money Who knows, you might find a gym that you like better.

Energizer Bunnie
    lol, I know what you mean, I had to really push myself to do this because its getting cold down here now.
    Heehee, I'm getting two summers in a row...its gorgeous weather here in North Carolina.

Hey, I've just tasted one of those protein bars they rave about on here called a "detour bar"...they are well wicked...totally delish...We must find out if we can get these in Australia
    "Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design." Jim Rohn

A Work In Progress....II

DailyDiet

Bradley

I agree check out some other gyms and see what else is
    out there. I always find it fun to go to other gyms just for a change of scenery every now and then. I can't believe that you have to ask someone to take your money Who knows, you might find a gym that you like better.
    Yeah thats how im seeing it at the moment, thanks Bradley

Franji

Heehee, I'm getting two summers in a row...its gorgeous weather here in North Carolina .
    Thats awesome! Two summers in a row

Hey, I've just tasted one of those protein bars they rave about on here called a "detour bar"...they are well wicked...totally delish...We must find out if we can get these in Australia
    Sounds good, I hope they do. I had a "growling dog" protien bar yesterday and it was hard as a rock! It took about 15 mins to eat. Im not sure if thats how they intended it to be or I just ended up with a bad one.

I'm lookin out for you too and so bumped you from page 3.

I don't know what happened at your gym but whatever you can go to the next level regardless. There is a way around (and thru) stuff like this. Let us know what happens. I am sure you will get back on track like you want.

6/8/03

Finally get the chance to do a workout after 3 weeks now that work has gone back to normal, no more overtime for me for a while, it was starting to burn me out.

Back and Chest

Hammer Chest Press 3*6 reps
    Cable Pec Flyes
    Db Rows
    Chins (Assisted)
    Deadlifts
    EZ Bar bicep curls
    Hanging Leg Raises

I did each for about 3 sets of 6 reps, not including warmups. Felt a bit dizzy afterwards, it went away after 10 mins, just happy to get into the weights again.

Well at least you get paid to do overtime. Glad to see ya back at it man!
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.