Thread: Lean Red Meats....

Wannabebig New Member

Lean Red Meats....

say if i buy a cube steak do i barley cook it (so i get the protein intake)or can i cook it med. well. and is cube steak a lean red meat?

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    I think you can cook it anyway you want. As for it being lean, check the usda nutritional page.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Wannabebig New Member
    where that?

Originally posted by somekindahate
    where that?
    http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...SR15/sr15.html

You can also check out www.fitday.com

say if i buy a cube steak do i barley cook it (so i get the protein intake)or can i cook it med. well. and is cube steak a lean red meat?
    Either way you cook it you will still be getting the same amount of protein.

The easiest way for me to tell if its lean is by looking at it. Does it have a lot of fat marbled throughout the meat? If this is the case then it is probably not that lean, and you can trim off any fat on the sides of the meat. I find that eye of round is usually the leanest.

Re: Lean Red Meats....

Originally posted by somekindahate
    and is cube steak a lean red meat?
    i know that the cube steak at my local butcher is cut so it is quite lean, but i do believe cube steak is pretty lean anyway.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Ya you can see the fat. Also you can just cut around it.

Wannabebig Member
    Any type of boneless meat can be put through a cube machine whether it is fat or lean. Fat is very visible when cubed so most meat departments will use lean cuts of meat.
    As for cooking times for cubed steaks, they are generally thinner and require a little less cooking time than your average steak.
    Cooking it rare or medium won`t affect the protein, however the more you cook it the tougher it will be.

Wannabebig Member golfbobbyhill's Avatar
    My understanding is that any cut with the word 'loin' in its name is relatively lean for red meat. I.E. sirloin.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    That's what I think too.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by golfbobbyhill
    My understanding is that any cut with the word 'loin' in its name is relatively lean for red meat. I.E. sirloin.
    Correct