Thread: Strong but small chest.....cont'd

Big

Strong but small chest.....cont'd

I posted probably 3 to 4 weeks ago, and I'm still having the same problem. For people who didn't see my post, I have a benchpress now that is around 325 pounds, but it looks like I bench about 225 because my chest is so small. I tried dumbells like others have said, and still have seen no results. I just can't see cutting down my exercises down from 4-2 doing the trick. Anyone else have suggestions?

Diet. Post it so we can evaluate it

What kinda of rep ranges are you using right now? Are you going to failure?

Maybe you need to incorporate supersets or maybe drop sets?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

I love cats
    Who cares if you can put up the weight? Chances are that you will not significantly alter your body composition, you will probably always have a small chest in relation to the rest of your body. I was also cursed with small chestitis, but it sounds like you've got a good deal of strength so I would be happy about that.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I suspect its your rep range.

Also, if you're fat, your chest wont look as good as it is, period. I'm noticing as I'm leaning out that my chest looks much better than it did when I was a fatty bo-batty.

Big
    I'm not fat at all. I'm 5'10 180. My rep range varies from 3-8. Occasionaly I do forced reps and/or negatives. I usually do 4-5 sets. I just don't get why my chest isn't growing as my chest is getting stronger.
    Last edited by SwoleCoon27; 04-24-2003 at 10:29 PM.

Banned
    As was posted previously we need your diet...most likely that's the problem, not your workout. If you throw on 10lbs of fairly lean mass, while your chest strength continues to soar, I can't imagine your chest not getting any bigger, so maybe you should be more concerned with gaining size all over than worrying about certain bodyparts.

Of the driver ilk
    You need higher reps highspeed. Within 6-10
    "42"

Sounds to me like genetics.

Big
    Vido--I think I have a good diet, could it be genetics like Budiak said? Let's say my diet was bad, why would I be getting stronger? That wouldn't make too much sense, or does it?

I have a bowl or two of cereal, bananana, and a glass of OJ in the morn. Lunch i'll have a deli sanwich usually turkey. Dinner I'll have steak, and some form of carbs. Snacks during the day vary from tuna to anything you could really imagine. I also have 3 80-gram protein shakes per day.

Genetics can suck. I have barely any chest to speak of, aside from the fat. Yet, my dips are bw+100x8 and I put up 195x8 @ 165lbs. It is just one of those things. Keep working with dumbbells and really focus on the pec contraction. Try a 8-12 rep range, 2-3 sets, and eat well.

BTW, 325 @ 180 is impressive anyhow, I wouldn't worry about it.

Most I know with little chests and big benches, have really bad form

Just a thought.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Banned
    Originally posted by SwoleCoon27
    Vido--I think I have a good diet, could it be genetics like Budiak said? Let's say my diet was bad, why would I be getting stronger? That wouldn't make too much sense, or does it?

I have a bowl or two of cereal, bananana, and a glass of OJ in the morn. Lunch i'll have a deli sanwich usually turkey. Dinner I'll have steak, and some form of carbs. Snacks during the day vary from tuna to anything you could really imagine. I also have 3 80-gram protein shakes per day.
    It very well could be genetics. Everyone has bodyparts that are stronger and weaker than others. BCC also brings up a good point, that your form could be suspect.

That being said, I would not call your diet "good". I've seen much worse, but it could be improved a great deal. You have no protein in your breakfast. Cereal is also not a good choice...try some low GI carbs like oats or brown rice. A sandwich can be ok. I'd make sure it was on whole wheat or multigrain bread, and loaded with meat. Dinner sounds good, assuming those carbs with the steak are something low GI like yams, brown rice, or veggies. There is an ongoing debate about how much protein can be absorbed in one sitting and although there is no limit, I would split those shakes up into 6 instead of 3. Well actually I'd probably just eliminate a couple of the shakes, because 240g of whey a day is a heckuva lot. You also need some fat in that diet. There is virtually none. Try sources like fish oil, flax oil, olive oil, natty pb, or almonds.

Hey guys did I miss the boat but how can this guy honestly expect any increase in size in just 3 - 4 weeks. Consistency is the key keep training and you will get chest. Period.

Yeah man, that is a ****load of protein from shakes and not a lot of food at all.

I think Chase is on to something. Do you do a full ROM when you bench or is it just like...an 8 inch ROM? Are you bringing the bar all the way down to about an inch or closer to the lower region of your chest then pushing it all the way back up?

I've seen guys rep 315...of course his reps were about 6 inches total.

Also, how far apart do you place you hands?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Big
    My pinkis line up with the rings.....and I'm sure my form is good, or at least i'm always told. I bring the bar all the way down to my chest. I don't bounce it like many to i simply barely touch it. I'm guessing my problem is genetics, but then again, there's plenty of guys that get big regardless of genetics. Plus, it's not like bench is my only good chest lift. My 1RM for incline is 275, I dumbell incline the 80's for reps of 8. With all the advice given, I still don't know what to do about my chest.
    Many of you guys are saying that my diet is wrong(this post and the last time i posted about this a mont ago), but, for some reason it wouldn't make sense to me that I would get stronger but not bigger with a bad diet, or would I? Plus, my chest is the only bad part of my body. My shoulders are very big, if not too big for my size. My biceps are big, my traps are big, my triceps are big, and so is my back. It's just my chest! I must be eating fine if everything except my chest grows.

If your whole upper body is very strong save for your chest you are probably not targetting your chest enough. Your strong shoulders and tris are putting the weight up, and getting big and strong. Try isolation exercises like dumbbell flyes and cable crossovers (with perfect form of course) so that you can be sure you are exhausting your chest. If you are REALLY concerned and you feel your upper body is big enough/too big, you could even take a month where you absolutely blast your chest and go easy on the rest of your upper body... this way your body can put more of its energy into recuperating your chest if it doesn't have to rest your arms and shoulders, and this will also bring you into a more symmetric form, if your shoulders and arms are dwarfing your chest.

Good luck!

Big
    Don.....sounds like very good advice to me, but I do DB flies and I also do Cable crossovers.....any other isolation exercises?

What about doing some flys? Benching is alot tris.

I'd move my hands out to where the rings line up with your index finger. Sounds like your triceps are involved a bit too much in the bench. I know you're only 5'8", I'm 3 inches shorter and I put my index finger on the rings.

I'd most definitely do flyes, in fact, If you are doing incline bench and incline db press, I would remove one of those two movements from my routine and replace it with cable flyes. Or DB flyes. I dont care.

Wannabebig New Member
    widen your bench grip, do some sets with higher reps. they teach you how to recruit fibers well. sounds like delts and tris are doing most of your pec work.

I put my pinky on the rings. I don't care about developing my chest. But will widening my grip so my index is on ring help get more weight up? Powerlifters go a very wide grip right?