The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

How is my routine?

Here's the new one I'm going to start for this summer. It's going to be 3 days on/1 day off. I'm also thinking about doing cardio in the morning 4 days a week or so. Goal is to get bigger and minimize bodyfat increase.
    Day 1: Chest and Tris
    • Flat bench - 2 warmup sets and ~4 real sets
    • Incline dumbbell - 3 sets
    • Flyes or crossovers - 3 sets
    • Tricep extensions - 3 sets

Day 2: Back and Bis
    • BB rows - 1 warmup set and ~3 real sets
      OR
    • Deadlift - 1 warmup set and ~4 real sets
    • Corner rows - 3 sets
    • Wide-grip pullups - 3 sets
    • Incline bicep DB curls - ~3 sets
    • Hammer curls - 3 sets

Day 3: Legs and Shoulders
    • BB Squats - 1 warmup set and ~4 real sets
    • Leg Press - ~3 sets
    • DB/BB shoulder press - 1 warmup set and ~3 real sets
    • DB laterals - ~3 sets
    • Crunches and Reverse crunches

Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Repeat
    I figured I'd be able to handle the high volume since I'll be doing a 16-week (2 on/2 off) cycle of 4-AD. Creatine will be run throughout.
    Diet will be a solid 6 meals per day.
    What do you guys think?

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It looks good..

I'd probably say it was a touch too much, if you don't decrease the sets, change it into a 7 days split, make shoulders a seperate day, for a bit more recovery.

Thats my personal preference really. Oh I would have deads before rows also In fact I don't even do them on back day anymore, I do deads and shoulders together.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Personally if nothing else I would add 2 rest days. That just me. I am more worried about joint and such, which your supps will not help.
    As far as deads and rows, dead seem to be a good warm up on the back for bentover rows. For 5 weeks now I have split up my deadlift day and bentover rows. My back has been sore for the whole time. I tried dumbell rows this week with a ez bar and it still felt hard on my back.

Thanks for the input!
    Yeah, I agree with you guys about the DLs on back... since they annihilate your lower back, it's hard to do other compound back exercises like rows, which rely on the lower back for stability.
    Although if you guys read it, it says DLs or rows. i.e. not both on the same day, hehe.
    I might have 2 rest days, but I'll stick with this first to see how it goes.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

ND beast, arent you on that add 50lbs to your bench program? I just started it and just completed my first week on it, how are your gains from it?

That looks exactly like my routine except I go one day on, one day off.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Originally posted by HahnB
    ND beast, arent you on that add 50lbs to your bench program? I just started it and just completed my first week on it, how are your gains from it?
    Yeah, I'm still on the program. I just wanted to make a new one for the summer.
    So far I've added 20 pounds... looks like it's becoming stagnant, though, which is expected. I don't know anyone who has put on a full 50 pounds on this program, but it does increase your bench significantly. Your body gets used to it quickly, though.
    However, after the program is the greatest part! Once you go back to the old 6-12 rep scheme for bench, you'll notice how much more weight you can push!

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Originally posted by Rastaman
    That looks exactly like my routine except I go one day on, one day off.
    Cool. I'm hoping the PH's will help me recover on this 3 on/1 off on workout. I'm on a 1 on/1 off now.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Originally posted by NDBeast

Yeah, I'm still on the program. I just wanted to make a new one for the summer.
    So far I've added 20 pounds... looks like it's becoming stagnant, though, which is expected. I don't know anyone who has put on a full 50 pounds on this program, but it does increase your bench significantly. Your body gets used to it quickly, though.
    However, after the program is the greatest part! Once you go back to the old 6-12 rep scheme for bench, you'll notice how much more weight you can push!
    I'll be happy as long as I can add 30 or 35lbs to my bench, 50 would be great, though.

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    I'm more of an intensity whore so I would be pairing movements in superset or drop set fashion.

Your tri's work is a little to low, I'd add a transition movement from chest to tri's. By transition I mean either close grip bench or dips.

For bi's I would drop your movements to sets to 2 instead of 3 and add 2 sets of either barbell or preacher curls.

For legs I like to superset squats with extensions.

I'd also add a rest day so train 3 days on then 2 off.

Keep the cardio low intensity, calories high, and make sure you get the proper post workout nutrition and sleep 8 hours a night.

I don't consider your volume to be very high but factors like nutrition, sleep, and protein intake will determine if you can handle it.

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

Thanks for the input.
    I was thinking of doing the previously mentioned routine and then switching mid-summer to a routine that does chest/back, shoulders/legs, arms/abs. All supersetted.
    I'm considering doing 3 on/2 off... I was hoping I would recover a lot quicker with the 4AD and be able to pull 1 rest day only. We'll see how this works.
    Last edited by NDBeast; 04-24-2003 at 07:31 PM.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Always in the Action Severed Ties's Avatar
    You may be able to pull off one rest day but I won't go for more than 4 weeks on that split. Even if you can recovery you still need to give joint use consideration.

ST
    "Your bench makes Jesus cry." -Shark

This is 10% luck, 15% skill, 20% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure and 50% pain, and 100% reason to remember the name...

Wanna Be Big
    what chest program are you guys talking about? (the add 50lbs. to bench program)
    Stats:
    5'10" 150lbs. 1RM as of 5/15/03......
    Bench 210
    Squat 280

If you don't invest much, then losing doesn't hurt and winning isn't very exciting.

The difference is almost all mental. The top players just hate to lose. A champion hates to lose more than they like to win.

Once you accept defeat, it becomes easy to lose. If defeat comes take it and face it, but don't accept it.

99% of failures come from people who practice the habit of making excuses.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Wanna Be Big
    question: ya'll told me not to listen to muscle mags cuz the articles are written by ghost writers and the people pictured in them are all doped up on steriods. yet the "adding 50lbs to your bench" program came from a muscle mag and is being used by WWB members. it seems like a big contradiction to me.
    Stats:
    5'10" 150lbs. 1RM as of 5/15/03......
    Bench 210
    Squat 280

If you don't invest much, then losing doesn't hurt and winning isn't very exciting.

The difference is almost all mental. The top players just hate to lose. A champion hates to lose more than they like to win.

Once you accept defeat, it becomes easy to lose. If defeat comes take it and face it, but don't accept it.

99% of failures come from people who practice the habit of making excuses.

It's just a different routine, man. People choose to do what they want, and I thought this program looked ok.
    Now every guy in those mags is juicing; that is true. A LOT of what you read in there can be crap, but I discerned that this routine wasn't. I guess one could say that it is crap, since no one I know has been able to add a full 50 pounds on the program. I just wanted to try a different type of routine for a change.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

I would just add one more rest day.