The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Rock Climbing + weights =???

My main goal is to improve strength for wrestling. Climbing stresses your back, biceps & forearms just like wrestling (Wretlers also need beastly legs which climbers dont have).

I plan to rock climb, Monday, Wednsday, and Thursday.

So I was thinking my split could be

Sun.-Chest/Back/Bi's/tri's/shoulders
    M-Climbing/Bouldering
    T-Legs
    W-Climbing/Bouldering
    Th.-Legs
    F-Climbing
    Sat.-Rest

What do you all think about incorporating rock climbing into a workout scheme with the intention of getting in better shape for wrestling?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hooeee, I got a lot for you.

(1) Rock climbing goes very well with wrestling in a few respects. Grip strength is key in both, and I've kicked some ass when wrestling because I basically lock on their wrists like a crazed chuihauha and never let go. Otherwise, I'm just tall and skinny and suck at wrestling.

(2a) With the routine above, you're seriously over training. I lift about 3 times a week, and climb much less than I want to. 1-3 times/week usually. Those weeks that I have lifted 3 times and climbed 3 times I thought I was going to die by the end of the week.

(2b) If you climb a few times, you CAN eliminate a lot of back day. You also probably won't need to work biceps very much. Keep stuff like deadlifts, but pulling exercises like rows are not really needed. Flame away!

(3) If you've been climbing for a while, to maintain fitness you'll want to climb 2+ times per week. To get better at rock climbing, you'll need to go 3-4 times. If you're a beginner, your abilities will sky rocket if you go 2/week.

(4) Legs twice a week? And only two days apart? I'd move them to S and Th. Do your foofy chest and shoulders in the middle.

(5) The best way to get in shape for wrestling is... wrestling. Rock climbing is a fun activity that can last for the rest of your life, though. Wrestling probably won't.

(6) Weighted pullups rule. If you can do 12-15 regular pullups then start with the weights.

Good luck. I can provide more info if you want.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    #4 sounds good. Im not worried about overtraining as of right now.

Thanks for the help, and keep the suggestions coming.

And yah rockclimbing kicks ass.

1 more thing My hand is getting eaten up by the rocks I use medical tape to cover the cuts and "flappers" but what else can id o.

Flappers are cool. Just tape them down like you're doing. And chalk helps clots form.

It just takes time to build up some thick skin. The sad thing for me is that it disappears in two weeks if I lay off of climbing. Anyway, the important thing is to get the thick skin, but file off the really thick callouses because those make you VERY prone to flappers.

What kind of climbing are you doing? Indoor? Mostly bouldering? If you really want to get tough skin, you'll have to train on real rock, which will tear you up at first.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    I train mostly indoors. This summer im going to do outdoors only, just not as much of it. I do more wrestling in the summer.

Always good to hear about climbing. As soon as I get to CA for the summer, I hope to be climbing 3-4 times a week. I want to either be bouldering in the v5-6 range or climbing solid 5.11 sport by the end of the summer. May have to sacrifce some weight training to do this.

Wannabebig Member
    Ive only started rockclimbing for 3-4 times so far. Im in the V1, almost V2 range but I can hit some 5.9's pretty easily climbing

Nice. Sounds like you have a lot of natural ability. Being strong from wrestling will probably make you a very good boulderer. After finger strength, of course, having core strength in the abs and back to keep body tension is key.