Thread: HST opinions

HST opinions

Hyperthrophy specific training-

Anyone have any opinions or personal experience with this. I was reading about it tonight and it sounds like something I may try. Just wanted to know if anyone has tried it and found it to be helpful? One thing that bothers me is that muscles that have multiple heads are only getting worked one way.. Any how just a thought, I am interested to see what others of you think.

-square

Strongman
    HST is excellent (This is of course coming from an HST guy). Don't worry about the multiple head thing, it doesn't matter if they only get "worked one way." If it's hypertrophy you are looking for, give it a shot. You can do a search here and over at www.hypertrophy-specific.com to see people's results.

200th post - fitting it's an HST one Good Luck SH
    Four-Time World's Strongest Man

Re: HST opinions

Originally posted by SquareHead
    Hyperthrophy specific training-

Anyone have any opinions or personal experience with this. I was reading about it tonight and it sounds like something I may try. Just wanted to know if anyone has tried it and found it to be helpful? One thing that bothers me is that muscles that have multiple heads are only getting worked one way.. Any how just a thought, I am interested to see what others of you think.

-square
    as an experiment, i ate like a horse (including taking in raw half & half for a buttload of calories) and performed a relatively 'high volume' hst routine (in respect to the default variant) and gained something like 17 pounds in 6 weeks while setting personal records in quite literally everything. granted some of this was fat, but my waistline only increased a good inch or so. i immediately stopped doubting HST at this point, and don't have a particular desire to stray too far from the principles here on in unless something extremely compelling comes to light.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    I've been using it for more than a year now and it's great.

Beware of Attack Ferrets
    HST has been the most effective thing for me so far, I enjoy it. Like any bodybuilding technique, it has it's supporters and denouncers, but most ppl that have used it love it.

Re: HST opinions

It's great.

I've used it for most of the past year, and even when not using it specifically I don't deviate too far from the core principles.

Also, there's nothing about HST that precludes hitting a muscle with multiple exercises. In fact, even the sample routine has 2+ exercises for most large muscle groups. If you are more creative you can up the volume even more. I'd stick to the basic outline the first time through, though.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 05-01-2003 at 07:15 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

can any of you guys post a spreadsheet of your workout/weights?

That would be uber helpful

Blood how much did you gain with 1 year on HST ?

Do you remember your arms size before and after and waist too if possible ?
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

Thanks for the opinions guys! I have started it. I am so stoked. I read the info from the HST guy posted above by Magnus and liked it so I have begun. It's just hard to get used to doing one exercise like I want to do more. But I am making sure to just stick w/ the warm up and the one exorcize. And I get nutz and love taking it to complete failure no more steam wanna quit so bad I could cry failure. Im kinda getting in to that as a replacement for the extra sets. Plus add to that I have started taking my amino acids in a protein shake before my work outs based on some studies posted on the same site. I am so stoked. :stoked: oops I made that up let's go w/
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

I wouldn't worry too much about the amino acid bit. Wihle the studies do have merit, also notice that Bryan Haycock is marketing pre and post workout protein.
    I used HST for a cycle. I liked it. It definitely is a sound routine. Good results. My lats in particular blew up on it. I went to WBB1 after the cycle because I felt like lifting heavy weights again. Good luck to ya.

Ha ya I noticed that he is trying to peddle his protein as well but you can blame him ... gotta make a living. I get liquid amino mix by twin lab and just mix it in w/ 5 grams of creatine and 20 grams of protein.
    Old Journal

-PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Bryan is an honest man. He's probably one of the few people you can actually trust in the supplement industry.

Ya man Ill never blame anyone from trying to sell a product. That's the kind of thing that makes the world go round. Im not that into spending too much on supplements so I try to make my own close to what he uses. but I do Like that he makes so much of the information he has found fully available. I have been meaning to look to see if he has any books on the subject. If so I will definitely support him in that way. I would be interested in learning more about why HST works they seem to have really done there homework on the subject.
    Old Journal

-PwrMajt:

Beware of Attack Ferrets
    I spend alot of time on the HST site, and Bryan Haycock puts alot of work into it, he's fairly honest about his supps (i.e. not like MuscleTech) and doesn't try to force it on them.

I'm not trying to say that Bryan is dishonest at all. He is one of few people I trust. But I don't think that the protein (whey for pre, casein for post, or whatever) is worth spending too much time worrying over.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by tryingtobebig
    I'm not trying to say that Bryan is dishonest at all. He is one of few people I trust. But I don't think that the protein (whey for pre, casein for post, or whatever) is worth spending too much time worrying over.
    I agree.

Originally posted by Gavan
    Blood how much did you gain with 1 year on HST ?

Do you remember your arms size before and after and waist too if possible ?
    To be honest, they're not hugely different.

I've made steady progress, though. More progress than I was making prior to switching to HST.

I posted a chart in my original journal with before and after bodyfat % and weight for several cycles of HST. The most compelling evidence I can offer in support of HST is that in two months of dieting while using a conventional push/pull/legs HIT-like routine I lost MUCH more muscle and less fat than during a similar period (with essentially the same diet) while using HST. I reposted a bunch of stuff (which included links to the above posts) in Manveet's journal just a couple of days ago.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

could one combine HST with HIIT and 2x a week football (american) practise, or would that be overtraining de lux?

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Centaurion
    could one combine HST with HIIT and 2x a week football (american) practise, or would that be overtraining de lux?
    HIIT would interfere with your muscle's decondicioning so if you do this keep HIIT for the heavier rep ranges (5's and negatives).

what do you mean by 'keep HIIT for the heavier rep ranges'?

sorry, but i dont get!

Wannabebig Member
    I'm going to use HST. The science behind it makes sense. I'm very excited to start it. I'm going to figure out my maxes this coming week.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Centaurion
    what do you mean by 'keep HIIT for the heavier rep ranges'?

sorry, but i dont get!
    I mean keep HIIT for when you get to the five's and negatives weeks and untill then do moderate intensity cardio, if you want.

duh

thanks for clearing that up for me!