The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Do you guys.....

Do you guys bring the barbell down all the way to your chest on a bench press? I find it easier to go almost all the way down, just until my arms are 90 degree angles, then pushing the weight back up. I'm probably not getting the full ROM from doing this, I've only done it for the first time today because my chest is growing very very slowly compared to my arms and shoulders and it looks funny when I flex so I wanted to get a little variation.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I bring it down untill it almost touches, if I stopped when my arms were at 90 degrees the bar would be like a foot off my chest.

You should always get a complete range of motion unless you are doing partials as part of your routine to get past a sticking point.Some people raise their heads. others arch and bridge,and still others twist their torso`s, during benches all of which, are wrong.

Are your arms really short or something? When my arms are 90 degrees, the bar is proabably still a foot off my chest. That would only work the triceps then since it would be pretty much a lockout.
    5-9 170

tjwes, arching your back is impropper form? As I've read here there is nothing wrong with arching your back, just so long as your but stays on the bench...?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Ya, I go up when my arms are 90 degrees and are almost touching my chest.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

arching back is not good try it with the back flat you feel it more in the pec trust me i was doing it wrong before chest grow much faster with proper form...

This has been debated a bit, lively at times too. Some people say going all the way down is hard on the shoulders.
    I go all the way down. My opinion is you should go all the way down unless you have a shoulder problem. Just an opinion though.
    For powerlifting it has to touch the chest.
    Last edited by Berserker; 04-28-2003 at 07:14 PM.

i have this problem as well. my chest is really small, but my arms are really long. sometimes i feel as if im getting more of a workout on my shoulders then my chest if i go all the way down and touch my chest
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Ya, same here GhettoSmurf.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Use to never touch my chest. Hurt my shoulders, and I felt that giving out before anything else.. then I tossed in some rotator cuff work, and started going full ROM. All is good.

That said, lot of people have argued this before, and it normally comes down to one side of the people saying if you can't do it, then you aren't built for it and you should do what feels natural.. sure, you can't compete in a powerlifting comp, but if your out to bodybuild, then that don't matter much.

The other side says you should suck it up, full ROM is the way to go, and if you are feeling pain then you should lower the weight and fix whatever is wrong with you before worrying about going up in more weight and leaving a weak spot behind. Also, if you don't touch chest, don't even think about bragging to a friend how much you can bench.

There. Think I summarized those debates rather nicely.
    LaLa

Behemoth,That is what i meant.I guess I should have said "bridging".Sorry!

For the guy`s who have a problem bringing the bar all the way dowm.Take off weight and start over until you`re benching correctly.This is akin to the guy`s who say they squat 600 lbs.,and when you see them doing it they just barely bend their knees.

If it hurts taking off weight may or may not be good. If your down to 95lbs your not getting much out of it. Some input from somebody knowledgeable o your form would be good.
    The only thing I don't like is when people don't go all the way down and don't mention it when bragging about weight. I am not saying is not an accomplishment just not the same. Waits for certain member.

the weird thing is, I was able to do MORE weight AND more reps than last week(when I went all the way down)
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
    the weird thing is, I was able to do MORE weight AND more reps than last week(when I went all the way down)
    Not sure if I am reading this right. You should be able to do more if you don't go all the way to the chest.