Thread: Time off, how much?

Time off, how much?

I desperately need to take time off training. I haven't taken a break for more than 2 days for a long long long time. For the past 4 months or more I haven't made any of the gains I wanted, mix that with the fact that I've been training with high volume for the past 3-4 weeks, I think I've been in an over trained state for quite some time now.

My question is, how much time should I take off, 1 week, week and a half, 2? Right now I feel that 5 days (1 working week) will be enough. I plan to lower my cals down, but still eat clean.

My second question is, should I take the week COMPLETELY off, I was planning on just doing HIIT, but would that just go against the idea of me taking time off in the first place?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Pot-bellied bean pole Big & Tall's Avatar
    I think time off is something that needs to be taken on feel. If you are really overtrained, I would say start with a full week off, and then see what your body is telling you. I usually start to really crave some heavy lifting at that point, so I typically don't go more than one week off. However, if you still aren't feeling on top of your game, I would say wait a few more days. As far as HIIT, I think it is best to take at least some time completely off (say the first 4 of 7 days) and then do some cardio/HIIT/other sport or activity you like.

Whatever you do, focus the time on eating clean and getting lots of rest and you will likely come back stronger.
    Eating like a grizzly bear with a tape worm

My Journal

Thanks for the input. As of now I plan on taking about 4-5 days off. Mentally, I don't think I lack motivation at all when it comes to training, sometimes I think I get almost too motivated and become very reluctant to take time off. I think it will be hard for me to stay away from the gym for 4-5 days, at least mentally. Physically, my body probably needs it. If worse comes to worse and really feel like training, I'll probably do one HIIT session during the course of my break. But I'll do everything in my power to stay away from the gym.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    I know how you feel. But when I come back, it seems I can lift better.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Thanks for the link B&I, a very good read.

Richard Dawkins

Richard Dawkins

Paul Stagg

Big
    Funny that you should mention that, and a lot of people who read this might think i'm lying, but i'm not. About 6 weeks ago I got reallly lazy. I mean, i've never been so lazy in my life when it comes to lifting. So I simply didn't lift for nearly 3 weeks. That's right, I took 3 weeks off. I came back, and I was repping 275 for 7 times as opposed to 4 times that I was before that. It seems odd, but it's the truth. I guess it just depends on the person.

I think one or two weeks is enough, rest and enjoy life. Eat good also make sure u get enough protein.
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

Back in the game
    hi manveet, by almeans stay away from the gym ,if you want to stay fit,do other sports or go for long walks,
    good luck ,i hope when u get back into training you make your gains and your goals.
    Lordy,Lordy.
    Wont mind hanging out the back of that- Paddy.

There is a miracle supplement its called 110%
    Hardwork that is..........- Peter Parker

Your workouts are only limited cos of your imagination- Peter Parker

No movie makes me Question my own sexuality quite like this one - Gyno Rhino

beercan
    I wouldn't train at all during that time, and make sure you don't come back until you're ready.

I'm in the middle of a month long, maybe more, break. I've never done anything like this in my 5 years of training, and it feels good.

There's no sense training if you're not hungry and you don't enjoy it.

You also may want to eat like crap to give your mind a total break.
    "I do declare; still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."