The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Please Help Me Out!!!

Alright here is the scenario, I max bench 165 lbs, max squat around 250 lbs, and max clean 160 lbs. I need to get my max bench up to 200, my max squat to 300, and my max clean to 200. I have about 3 months to accomplish this. I weigh a little more than 150 lbs. and I'm a little short of 5'11". I also need to get my weight up to at least 160 lbs. My body fat composition is 5% if this matters I dont really know. With all this said, what type of workout or advice could you give to me. I figured if there was someone to ask they would be in here. All advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank-You!
    Last edited by Melbs616; 05-04-2003 at 12:09 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i hope youre mistaken about your bodyfat, and that its really around 9 or 10%.

anyways, start eating everything in sight, make sure there is alot of healthy fat(from fish, peanuts), alot of low glycemic carbs, and a fair share of protein from animal sources. eat 6 or 7 times a day and eat til you cant eat anymore.

as for training, lower your reps per set, and add a set or 2.(many will not agree with this, but it generally works). instead of doing the prototype of 3 sets of 10 reps.....try 5 sets of 4 reps. dont neglect your triceps either, they are crucial for a big bench.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Wannabebig New Member
    My body fat is 5%. In health class there is this electro-pulse hand grip thing and it is very precise. My health teacher made me redo it many times because he didn't believe it.

a 35 pound gain on bench and 50 pound gain on bench/squat in 3 months sounds do-able. There is no magic formula to gain this, everybody's body is different. If u at 150 w/ 5% bf u must be one cut up mofo and u have a fast metabolism too. so....

1) Bulk up, eat mad food, as much as u can
    2) be consisent!!! <--- this is so important
    3) dont run or anything like that
    4) high intensity all the way (4-6 rep range)

anyways what tricep exercises do you suggest mrwebb for a big bench?
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

I have been experiencing pretty good strength gains from this program...muscle media

When I first started it about 3 weeks ago for my second set I use to only be able to do 175 6 times. After a little under 3 weeks on the program and after 1 warm up set and 4 work sets I did 185 6 times. Not a lot of weight but a pretty good increase if you ask me, for 3 weeks. I have experiences decent size gains as well, and my strenth has increased in bb curls and dips quite a bit. Altogether you should be able to add at least 35lbs to your bench , at least that's what I'm shooting for.
    Last edited by HahnB; 05-04-2003 at 01:15 AM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Eat a ton, lift consistently, don't wuss out. Find a decent program that works for you, your goals and your schedule. Mostly, keep pushing for more and (like John said) BE CONSISTENT!
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Originally posted by John0101

anyways what tricep exercises do you suggest mrwebb for a big bench?

skullcrushers....i prefer inclined
    weighted dips
    tate press(ask the westsiders about this lift, very valuable but i dont know how to explain it)
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

I like close grip benches.
    As for hitting 200 that was a big thing for me too. At the time my sets were 10 reps around 145-155. I did alot of low reps. I did alot of single reps Just also jsut kept trying more, do 185 then try 195. Just kept trying to lift 200. I hit my goal which was for that year on new years eve. Actually failed and tried again and did it.
    Now the way I would do it 3-5 rep rep range.
    Those electric bf meters are not terible accuarate.

Originally posted by MrWebb78

tate press(ask the westsiders about this lift, very valuable but i dont know how to explain it)
    Just a kickback in disguise.