Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Gain 101

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Weight Gain 101

PART 1
    This is for all Ectomorphs. Yea you. The thin, skinny, tall, flat chested, rapid metabolism, nervous, canít sit still Ectomorph. You want to gain weight?

If youíre not gaining weight, youíre not eating enough. You need to determine how many calories youíre taking in. Weigh yourself on day 1 first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Keep track of all the calories you eat for 14 days. On day 15 weigh yourself again, if your weight has not changed by plus or minus 2 pounds this will work. Add up the calories for each day and divide by 14. The number you come out with is how many calories you need to eat each day to maintain your current bodyweight. Now to start gaining weight you need to add 300-500 calories to this number. Go 7 days then weigh yourself again. Slowly up the calories until you see an increase in weight.

Only try to gain 1-2 pounds a week. More than this on a consistent basis will lead to more increases in fat than muscle. Check your progress every 4 weeks with skinfold calipers and a cloth tape measure. If youíre desperately thin, a 10-pound increase consisting of 5 pounds of fat & 5 pounds of muscle is ok. A 2:1 ratio of muscle to fat would be ideal. Dont be afraid of increases in fat. As long as itís not settling solely around your waist youíre ok.

There are 8 basic components of nutrition.

Calories Ė besides what was mentioned earlier, you should be eating at least 6 times a day every 2-3 hours. A rough example would be 7:00am, 10:00am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, and 10pm.

Protein Ė 1 gram per pound of bodyweight. popular choices are chicken, turkey, eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, peanut butter, milk, whey, lean cuts of red meat, fish

Carbs Ė 2.5 to 3 grams per pound of bodyweight. popular choices are whole grain brown rice, sweet potatoes, veggies, beans, whole grain breads and cereals, yams.

Fats Ė 20-30% of total caloric intake. good fats can be found in meat, fish, canola and olive oil, nuts, seeds, legumes, and sesame and soybean oil.

Water Ė 1 gallon a day.

Fiber Ė 20-35 grams daily.

Vitamins & Minerals Ė this is easily covered with a daily multi-vitamin/mineral.

Supplements besides a multi-vitamin:

If you cant eat enough calories or meals you should consider using a weight gainer or high calorie MRP.

If you canít eat enough protein you should consider using a protein powder.

Donít believe the BS in the muscle magazines about supplements. Get the 8 basics of nutrition down pat.

After your workouts get in some fast acting carbs and whey.

These ideas will not turn you into a 220 pound ripped ultra low bodyfat % hulking monster of muscular might. If you weigh less than 150 pounds you should successfully reach 170-180 pounds, but give it plenty of time. When you get to this point, where you go from there will depend on genetics.

If this doesnít saturate your brain, here are some links you may find useful:
    http://www.davedraper.com/gain-weight.html
    http://davedraper.com/8-henriks-big-gainer.html
    http://www.atozfitness.com/AtoZ_Weight_Gain.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/F...2/weights.html
    http://www.intenseworkout.com/weight_gain.html

PART 2
    Nutrition was covered in part 1, this concerns training. This concerns the Ectomorph.

Most training programs you see are not meant for you:

No 3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off or whatever training split

No training twice a day

No ďIím using Cutlers leg routine from flex cause Iím going to kick his ass in 6 monthsĒ

No drop sets, supersets, strip sets, descending sets, pre-exhaust sets

No chest shoulder workout consisting of flat bench for whole chest then incline bench for upper chest then decline bench for lower chest followed by flyes and crossovers then shoulder press for shoulders followed by
    front raises for front shoulder, side laterals for side shoulder then rear
    laterals for rear shoulder

No 2-hour training sessions

No training just arms and chest unless the woman you desire gets horny from looking at a light bulb which what youíre going to look like.

Pretty much all routines you see. Training programs for an Ectomorph have to be short and intense. Get in, workout, get out, and then get plenty of rest and nutrients before next training session. Take at least 1 day off between workouts, 2 would be better. This would have you training every 3rd day.

These are the exercises you should concern yourself with: Squats, deadlifts, bench press, shoulder press, chin-ups, bent over rows, upright rows, cleans, hack squats, dips, stiff-arm pullover, stiff leg deadlift, dips

These are called compound movements because they hit more than one bodypart. Donít waste time on isolation movements. These hit one bodypart and are useless for a beginning Ectomorph.

If your arms are less than 15 inches, donít train them directly.

If your chest measures less than 40 inches, do presses and dips only.

If your calves are less than 14 inches, donít train them directly.

Learn the mind-muscle connection (no, not the rock and sock connection). Donít just lift the weight from point A to point B. Make the muscle work throughout the entire range of motion. Concentrate on the quality of each rep rather than on quantity of weight. If you canít feel the muscle working and cramping as the set progresses, youíre probably using too much weight.

Your workouts should last between 45-90 minutes. Realize that no matter how perfect your diet may be, or what great super spectacular wonder most efficient so called miracle muscle enhancing supplement youíre taking, you wonít grow unless you abide by these guidelines.
    WEIGHT GAIN 101

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Wow, very good information! And welcome to the board!
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Wannabebig Member
    thanks man. as you can see i registered in december. been reading, decided to finally post.
    WEIGHT GAIN 101

this should definately also go in the diet and nutrition section great post, t'was a good read 2 thumbs up
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Wannabebig Member
    6'1'' 135lbs.. I think i'll try your advice, thxs.

GReat post, except for the part about not training your arms if they are under 15 inches. I still think you should in corporate some type of curls in your routine.

Banned
    Originally posted by HahnB
    GReat post, except for the part about not training your arms if they are under 15 inches. I still think you should in corporate some type of curls in your routine.
    Why, exactly?

I mean, if you're doing back work, your bis will get hit hard enough, at least for a good long while.

Mine are over 15" and I still don't train mine directly. I might give them more attention when they get over 17" if I think they've stop growing. But if you are doing heavy rows and presses then your arms are getting a good workout.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Simplistic
    Why shouldn't you train your calves directly?
    How exactly do they get trained indirectly?

Yeah I was also wondering why I shouldn't be doing direct work to my calves if they are under 14 inches?

I dont understand why you wouldn't want to train you arms directly? Newbies make the biggest gains and can often handle more volume when first coming into the game. Why not blast 'em then?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Also, to say don't train your arms under 15" is foolish. 15" arms on a 6'3" person are much different from 15" arms on a 5'5" person.

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I train my arms. I just don't feel my bis getting worked when I do rows or chins. Thats not to say there not, I just figure it doesn't hurt to do a little more. I guess I'll never know cause I am gonna keep training them. Though I do see how it could work.

I checked out all of the links (except the intenseworkout one which didnt work). All excellent information...my only questions are the same as most of yours:

Why not train arms if they are under 15"? To make a bold statement like that, there must be some sort of science behind it....the same goes for calves.

All in all, excellent links.

Wannabebig Member
    hey guys, being an ectomorph myself i have wasted alot of time doing routines that were not meant for me. a big part of that is isolation and arm work.

concentration curls, preacher curls, kickbacks, pushdowns, etc are a complete and total waste of time if you have thin arms. we all know that biceps get worked from chins and rows, triceps get worked from presses and dips and deadlifts stress the forearms.

an ectomorph needs to just concern himself with the big basic exercises. the 15" part was just to give a general idea. thats not meant to mean if your arms are 14", you cant train them directly. just to give some sort of yardstick.

same as for calves. save calf work and arm work till you have some actual muscle there. how pathetic is it to see someone with 10" arms doing concentration curls and avoiding squats, chins, dips, deadlifts, cleans?

i've been training since 1992. i started out at 125lbs, 5% bodyfat with 12" arms. one skinny mofo.

the best i ever got was in 1998, i was 180lbs at 10% bodyfat with 15" arms. then i fell off the wagon and lost my gains. (long story)

i've helped alot of ectos these last few years. i orginally posted this on fitness board last summer. it is now on about 8 other boards. so i've had alot of experience working with guys like myself.

there is no scientific info to back myself up, just me and many, many other thin guys training like the genetically and phamacutically advanced and getting nowhere.

this post relys on the basics. basic exercises and basic nutritional strategy. most ectos have never probably heard of progression and overload. and thats really sad.

ectos can make gains for years on the basics.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    agreed
    w00t

Eh, I don't know. I'm definetly all for the compound lifts to pack the most mass on your frame. And I totally agree that rows will work the biceps signifigantly. But I still feel that in addition to the compound lifts, SOME isolation lifts should be incorporated.

Don't focus on the minutia - focus on the message.

Progressively heavier weights on basic lifts make you big.

If you want to do a couple of sets of curls, fine.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    Don't focus on the minutia - focus on the message.

Progressively heavier weights on basic lifts make you big.

If you want to do a couple of sets of curls, fine.
    thanks bro, those 3 sentences says alot.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I would disagree on the 45-90 minute guideline. I was a ectomorph (140 lbs at 6'2") I found that 20-30 minutes was the way to go. Concentrate on one large bodypart and one small. Work out three days a week. Abs can be done about twice a week after the workout. This covers the entire body. Even as an advanced lifter I find this works well. Apart from that, it's solid advice.

Wannabebig Member
    ExtremeAnabolic, where are you now?

some guys i have worked with could only take 20-30 minutes of a full body routine.

but most everyone else said they barely broke a sweat.

honestly, i more so say keep it under 60 minutes. myself, my workouts only take 45 minutes. :)
    WEIGHT GAIN 101

the game
    jez i guess ectomorph's are REAL skinny, im 6'1 190 and allwasy thought I was an ectomorph, I guess not, cause the weight is coming on easily now.
    lift hard, lift heavy, no excuses.

EA- If you apply the less is more principle anymore you won't even be showing up at the gym

awesome advice,

dammit, i really hate deads though cause they exhaust my arms so bad i cant do anything else that day ex: any back workouts and my leg day already has squats. might have to have its own day and train 4 times a week?

very sweet post once again and puts everything back into prospective.
    my goals: gain weight and muscle mass

Deads don't bother my arms at all. Is your grip failing? Chalk might help or just give it time.