Thread: lifting the sh*t VS smooth & controlled

your worst nightmare

lifting the sh*t VS smooth & controlled

I've been experimenting with different tempos in my lifts. I've noticed that if I just try and lift the heaviest weight possible the negative is nearly non-existent, 1 or 2 seconds. Now, if I slow the tempo down the amount of weight I can push is significantly lower. An example: CG Bench: 205 for reps, not focusing on the negative just basically letting the bar come down, if I slow the negative to 4 seconds the weight I would use is more like 185. Are the muscles basically working just as hard in both lifts?? Which is more beneficial to maximize the amount of hypertrophy? What kind of tempo do you guys use??

Back in the game
    i use the same tempo althe time on f/w ,simple smooth actions reguardless of what weight. just your basic up and down movement.
    Lordy,Lordy.
    Wont mind hanging out the back of that- Paddy.

There is a miracle supplement its called 110%
    Hardwork that is..........- Peter Parker

Your workouts are only limited cos of your imagination- Peter Parker

No movie makes me Question my own sexuality quite like this one - Gyno Rhino

You should always be in control of the weight.Don`t let it just fall ,the latter scenario is better.If you`re not in control it`s not as beneficial, and could result in injury.

your worst nightmare
    I should clarify, I always have "control" over the weight, I just don't emphasize the negative, basically the bar is coming down only so I can push it up again.
    No, you're not dreaming.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    coolest thread title ever...

I alternate both methods

though I think the slower method to be better for hypertrophy

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

your worst nightmare
    Bring on the opinions. Even if you aren't educated in the subject, please share your training methods.
    No, you're not dreaming.

Time under tension is a major part of hypertrophy. That being said I think slower would be more beneficial.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Eccentric (negative) training is the one that cause the more muscle damage and to cause most of the soreness.

If you train mainly for hypertrophy, then you should always go slow on the negatives, except on movements like deadlift where it could be hard for the lower back (Your lower back does an isometric contraction to straighten the back, so a slow negative is much harder than the positive since inertia helps making it easier to straighten the back. Therefore the muscle would fail before the other parts of the posterior chain).

When training for strenght, you want a fast negative (so you don't waste useful energy) but it should always be controlled.

On a movement like Bench Press, if you are too quick on the negative phase the weight might bump on your chest...

4 seconds was probably too much, and 1 second too fast, so something like 2 seconds would be perfect. It might seem fast but watch a clock and do the negative movement at the same time, you'll see that it isn't that fast.

i do slow reps every once in awhile to mix things up. slow meaning 5 or 6 second negatives, and 3 or so seconds up.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Wannabebig Member
    Ive just started to do squats and deads within the last 6 weeks or so and Ive started to really slow down the tempo choosing a weight that will allow me to do around 10 - 15 and going for 3 failure reps. I havent done them this way before ive always gone maximum weight years ago and I must say I can really feal the difference

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    There is a saying by...I believe Dave Tate...

'The faster it comes down, the faster it goes up.'

Squats and deads, dont **** up your muscles just bringing the weight down. Save the power for the lift. You'll notice that powerlifters drop down to a squat quickly and then burst upwards, and the same with bench. Negatives do have their place in powerlifting though, and in bodybuilding. You should experiment with tempo. One day do very long negatives and quick positive movement.

Like MrWebb78 once said: 'Wha...huh??'

IMHO, focusing on tempo (like counting seconds), is a waste of focus.

If you are interested in hypertrophy, in general, perform your lifts under control, without cheating. In general.

If you are interested in building explosive power - or interested in competitive lifting, you'll need to include explosive fast training.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I go by the thinking that if you are able to count the seconds in your head then you aren't lifting enough weight. When I lift, even lighter stuff, the last thing I'm going to be thinking about is counting the time it takes me to lower the weight.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.