Thread: after lifting for a year...another cut or bulk question

Wannabebig Member

after lifting for a year...another cut or bulk question

Hi everyone,

I've been lifting for about a year now. I was severely overweight last year in April and I decided to start working out. Back then my stats were:

April, 2002:
    23 years old
    190 lbs
    5'10" tall
    38" waist
    ?? bodyfat (didn't measure it back then

In january, I made a post here regarding my bodyshape (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...threadid=25198) and my stats here:

January, 2003:
    23 years old
    172lbs
    5'10" tall
    19% bodyfat
    34" waist

I continued to workout and do cardio regularly since then and kept on aiming to get some sort of beach-ready shape by this summer time. My stats nowadays is...

May 1st, 2003
    24 years old
    163 lbs
    5'10" tall
    15.5% bodyfat
    32" waist

Clearly, I have gone a long way from last year. I am getting skinnier than ever (still with a small tummy). However, as a result, I have lost a lot of size significantly, especially on my arms.

While I'm still shooting for around 11% bf by this summer so I can attempt to get 6 packs and look good, I'm afraid if I continue to work out the way I am right now, I will look like a skinny loser at the beach. I will post some of my latest pictures soon as soon as I get home...

I stick with a 2000-2300 cals/day diet. i'd say i eat relatively clean. I don't eat any fast foods or anything. I believe I consume just enough protein each day...

Breakfast:
    One regular oatmeal
    3 egg whites

Lunch:
    chicken & rice

3pm snack
    yogurt

dinner:
    chicken, veggies, rice

before sleeping:
    proteirn shake

I currently workout 3 days a week (Monday: chest and back, Wednesday legs, Friday arms and shoulders). I do cardio 4 times a week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday).

So here's my question for all you experts out there -- Should I attempt to bulk from now until June, and then go back to cutting phase again? Should I do any changes to my routine or my cardio duration?

Below is my exact routine, please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks a bunch guys.

monday:
    flat bench press
    3 sets, 6-8 reps each

hammer strength incline bench press
    3 sets, 6-8 reps each

pec dec
    3 sets, 8 reps

chest dips
    3 sets, 8 reps

assisted chin ups
    4 sets, 5 reps

pull down
    2 sets, 6 reps

wednesday:
    squats
    2 sets, 10 reps

leg press
    4 sets, 5 reps

leg curl
    3 sets, 10 reps

hamstring curl
    3 sets, 10 reps

friday:
    military barbell press
    2 sets, 8 reps

military dumbbell press
    3 sets, 6-8 reps

forward dumbbell raise
    3 sets, 10 reps

lateral dumbbell raise
    3 sets, 10 reps

barbell bicep curl
    2 sets, 8 reps

machine bicep curl
    3 sets, 10 reps

dips (no assist)
    3 sets, 10 reps

overhead tricep extension
    3 sets, 10 reps

cabel tricep extension
    3 sets, 10 reps
    Last edited by dalamar; 05-01-2003 at 12:57 PM.

congrats on the weight loss!

back to the question, it's really up to you, but looking at your routine, 3 sets for almost every routine of each workout day may be pushing it a bit, and where are the deads? squats + deads + bench = the "shiznit" as Jamie Kennedy would put it.

but for me, if I had lost all that weight, I would keep going throughout the summer to show everyone how well I did, then bulk in the fall.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

like mentioned above, congrats on the weightloss.

weather to bulk or not is completely up 2 you IMO. some people would say 5'10 @ 160# is too small. others might not. its all up 2 you and how u feel about it.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Banned
    Great job so far man!!!!!!!!!!

but like smurf said you have to choose. If you continue to cut you are going to get smaller. But with good diet and dedication(which it appears you have it) you could get your hard earned six pack and then build from there.
    OR
    you could start to lift heavier and eat more to feel out a little before hitting the beaches and pools this summer. Then you could start to cut again when ever you got ready.

though choices but only you can decide. good luck bro

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

If I continue my cutting phase, do you guys think it's realistic to go from 15% to 11% in 2 months?

Also, at what bf% do you start seeing 6 packs?

2 months, yes, keep dropping cals every 10-12 days until you're ~500 below maintenance and with your cardio you can start increasing intensity or time to shed fat even quicker

under 10% is when you start seeing them
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Originally posted by dalamar
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

If I continue my cutting phase, do you guys think it's realistic to go from 15% to 11% in 2 months?
    Yup, it's very possible . And congrats on the weightloss!
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....