Thread: is it possible to train your jawmuscles?

is it possible to train your jawmuscles?

some dude at another bb-forum says that it is possible and very important to train your jawmuscles when it comes to fighting. how do one train the jawmuscles and would it have an impact if you got punched?

and no gay comments please.

ive never really heard of anything like that. especially since i usually hear the jaw referred to as the "jaw-bone" i dunno, maybe if you chew a lot of gum?
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

I doubt training the masseter muscle is going to afford any protection against a fractured mandible or broken teeth during a fight. Duck and wear a mouth guard. The masseter can be developed with a chewing-type motion. For resistance I guess you'd have to chew on an object that could provide resistance- maybe a piece of rubber or something. OR maybe pushing down on your lower teeth with your fingers while trying to close your mouth. You'd have to be careful about chewing on one side at a time- you could end up with Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ).

beercan
    Back when I was an arrogant bastard, I used to chew gum every day, because I thought larger jaw muscles would make me even sexier.
    "I do declare; still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

chewing raw cocos, like right from the nut, is tasty and a serious jaw workout.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Chewing gum, I guess. But, who cares?!
    Last edited by Ironman8; 05-01-2003 at 06:09 PM.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

I think women generally have stronger jaw muscles, because they never shut the f**k up

j/k
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

I'm glad you added your disclaimer Cent because I had about 10 zingers lined up before I could click on the thread's title.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by Saint Patrick
    I think women generally have stronger jaw muscles, because they never shut the f**k up
    Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man Schweigen.

~L. Wittgenstein

Theres a jaw workout that I give my girlfriend that always gives her a "sore jaw". Don't think I'd be willing to help you out though.

Disclaimers only go so far.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Saint Patrick

j/k
    here here brother

Your wasting your time dude. You could have the biggest chin in the world and still get knocked into next week. Being hit on the chin creates a shaking effect on the brain which leads to unconsciousness regardless of how much muscle you could build being a former competitive kickboxer I know what that feels like. Learn to be quick on your feet, speed up reactions and knock the other guy out before he knocks you out LOL
    Last edited by Defkon1; 05-04-2003 at 02:56 AM.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    A muscle's a muscle. It can be worked out. Whether this will offer you any additional protection is doubtful.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

I've done isometric exercises for my neck and it's made it a decent amount bigger. They're really easy to do and I don't need weights...I imagine something similar could work for your jaw..maybe open it half-way and try as hard as you can to open it larger, while pushing up on it hard enough to keep it stable.