The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

New year, new journal

After being away from the journal world for about three months, I'm starting a new one. This time I will be working out at home. As a Christmas present I gave myself a squat rack wi low/hi pulleys, an adjustable bench, an olympic bar, an EZ curl bar, a couple of oly DB handles and 245 lbs of plates, which should be enough for a while.

Before I stopped updating my journal (I think it was in October) I started a 4-day split (chest/shoulders-back/traps-legs/arms), but it got me worn pretty fast. Starting Dec. 16 I took a couple of weeks off and started lifting again last Sunday. I'm doing a pull-push-legs split. I have continued working on improving my diet since I still have plenty of fat to lose and these last two weeks I was a bit over indulgent on what and how much I was eating.

I did back/traps/bis last sunday and chest/shoulders/tris this morning. I'll post on thursday what I did since I don't have the numbers with me.

Most likely next week I'll be adding rope jumping (don't have a treadmil or stationary bike) as warmup on lifting days and as cardio on non-lifting days to help with the fat burning, which is my main concern now.

It felt pretty good to work out again, I missed it on these weeks I took off, but I needed the break, I was feeling to tired and my lifts were going down badly. Plus I needed to take at least a week off cause I had a vasectomy done on Monday last week and for a few days I could barely walk.

Well, that's all for today. As always, comments, suggestions and questions are welcome.
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yesterday's diet was pretty bad, but starting today I'l try to keep it in check as much as I can and only cheat on Sundays.

Today I did legs, I'm not going real heavy on the squats because I'm trying to improve my form, I tend to lean forward a bit too much (without losing balance) and that led to lower back pain, so I'm trying to fix that. Also, I'm still experimenting with the equipment and trying to find the right weight for some exercises.

Squats
    Bar x 15
    95x15
    135x11
    135x12

Leg Extension
    35x15
    45x15
    50x13

Leg Curl
    25x20
    45x12
    45x11

SLDL
    135x13
    135x12

Seated Calf Raise
    135x25
    135x25

Comments: Today's workout didn't feel as good as I was expecting. I started feeling tired very soon. I probably should have waited a bit more after I woke up to start working out.
    Edgar V.

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Good Luck with your new journal..

hey btw, Hope you dont mind..but, share your 03' goals
    Last edited by beastin v6; 01-02-2003 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks for dropping by, beastin. My main goal is to lower my bodyfat to around 12 or 13%. Right now I'm 5'8" and weight around 185 lbs (I haven't stepped on a scale in several weeks, so I'm not completely sure) and I think bf is over 20%. Also I'd like to pack some muscle and improve my strength
    Edgar V.

Hey compadre. Glad to see you're back. Best of luck with the new journal. If you sneak out or take another break I'm gonna go down there and kick your ass.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Hey, ec! How's it going man? I hope this time I'll keep my journal longer, damn work keeps interfering with the stuff I like
    Edgar V.

Diet for Thursday Jan 2, 2002

7:00 am 1.5 cup 2% milk, 0.5 cup oats, 1.5 scoops Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey
    7:30 am ----- Workout -----
    9:00 am 1.5 cup 2% milk, 1.5 scoops Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey
    11:30 am 1 tuna and hardboile egg sandwich
    2:30 pm Grilled chicken and some pasta
    6:30 pm 2 cups low fat yogurt, 1 apple
    9:00 pm 1 cup 2% milk, 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey and ham and cheese sandwich

Friday Jan 3, 2002

Rest day. I'm not doing any cardio at the moment, I'm still waiting to recover completely from the surgery to be able to do some rope jumping. I hope next week I'll be able to start with it.
    Edgar V.

Any reason for the milk postworkout? I would mix the whey with water and maybe add in some high GI carbs.

The only time I tried mixing it with water I really disliked the taste, but then I was using GNC's whey (which did't taste that good with milk either). Now I'm using Optimum's and I've been thinking about giving it a try with water, but I forget, I'm used to prepare it with milk. I'll try to remember to use water tomorrow. As for the high GI carbs what would you suggest? I know dextrose is what most people here recommend, but I'm still looking for a place to buy it here in town.
    Edgar V.

Yeah dextrose is probably the best bet and if you have a place that sells home brewing supplies you should be able to get it there. Smarties candy are made of maltodextrin which could be used (pretty sure that is the name of them but might want to check the label). I personally mix in 1/2 cup of weight gainer (GNC 1850) with a scoop of 100% whey and this contains about 22g protien/60g carbs.

Yeah, I know what smarties are. I was eating 2 to 3 pack after workouts for a while, but thanks to them a filling in one of mu teeth got loose, so I stop eating them. Maybe I could crush a bunch of them and mix it with the post work out drink.

I had thought about using a weight gainer, but I wasn't sure if I should use it since I'm trying to get rid of the extra fat, but mixing it with whey sounds like a good idea
    Edgar V.

TwinLabs Ultrafuel also contains a lot of dextrose in it and it's super cheap.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

What else is in it? Is it a weight gainer?
    Edgar V.

Not a weight gainer. Nothing but complex carbs. in it. They bill it as "the ultimate carb. energy and recovery drink." It's a'ight.
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis

Cool! That's another option I'll consider on my next trip to the supplement store. How much is it?
    Edgar V.

$12.99 super cheap...for a tub of 52.8 oz. I use two scoops, not 4 (which is what is says to use). Actually I use two before and two after.
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis

sounds pretty good, do you mix it with whey or drink it by itself?
    Edgar V.

preworkout I mix it with 10-15 g of whey and 5 g creatine. Post I drink it by itself (+5 g creatine)...just found a list of sugars it has...maltodextrin, dextrose, and fructose. I drink a whey shake too, but I gulp down the ultrafuel first.
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis

Thanks for the info, ec
    Edgar V.

Diet for Friday Jan 3, 2002

9:00 am 1.5 cups 2% milk, 1.5 scoops Optimum Nutrition 100% whey, 0.5 cups oats, 2 teaspoons peanut butter, 1 banana
    12:00 pm 1 tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread and 1 banana nut muffin
    3:30 pm Spanish rice and beef and potatos in a red pepper sauce
    6:30 pm 2 cups low fat yogurt, 1 banana nut muffin
    8:00 pm Cheese burger with bacon and fries

Training for Saturday Jan 4, 2002

Pull-ups/Chins (alternantin 1 set of each at bodyweight)
    p-4
    c-5
    p-3
    c-5

Deadlift
    135x10
    185x6
    205x4

Barbell Row
    155x10
    155x11

DB Row
    70x12
    75x11

Barbell Shrugs
    155x15
    175x15

Barbel Curls
    55x15
    65x15
    75x12

Comments: Good workout in general. First time I did deads in 2 or 3 months (I was blaming them for lower back pain and stopped doing them) and never went heavy on them, so it was a very nice surprise to be able to do 205. I think I could have done 1 or 2 more reps, but my grip was loosening a bit. Also, since I did 3 reps of deads, I dropped 1 set on the BB and DB rows. I'm almost at the same weights I was lifting before I started to feel like sh*t before the brek so probably next week I'll be able to break some of the PRs I had at around the end of November

Diet-wise, yesterday I cheated a bit in the evening, so I'll try to eat clean on Sunday, which is the day when goes to hell. Today I tried mixing the whey with water post workout, and surprisingly it didn't taste bad, so now I'll just have to get some high GI carbs to mix with it and I'm all set. I still haven't decided what I'll get (either some weight gainer, like bradley suggested, or the UltraFuel, per ectx's recommendation). I'll go to the supps store tomorrow and then I'll make a choice and I'll be all set.
    Edgar V.

Extc's idea sounds like a good one to me. I might do that after I use the rest of the weight gainer because the Ultra Fuel is easier on the wallet as opposed to the weight gainer. I would imagine ultra fuel along with some vanilla whey would be good.

Workout looked good. Keep up the hard work.

Diet for Saturday Jan 4, 2002

7:30 am 2/3 cup of oats cooked and mixed with 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey
    8:15 am ----- Workout -----
    9:30 am 1.5 scoops Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey mixed witn 1.5 cups of water
    1:00 pm Spanish rice and beef and potatos in a red pepper sauce
    4:00 pm Ham and cheese sandwich and 2 cups low fat yogurt
    8:00 pm 6 beef flautas (deep fried rolled taquitos) and some salad, a handfull of peanuts and 2 small pieces of chocolate candy

Diet for Sunday Jan 5, 2002

11:30 am 2 eggs, 2 hotcakes, 2 strips of bacon, 2 sausage links, hashbrown, 1 cup of orange jucie and 1 cup of coffee (yes, you guessed right, we had breakfast out )
    6:00 pm 6 discada tacos (mixture of beef, ham, bacon, chorizo [mexican pork spicy sausage], and I don't know what else was in it), steamed rice with corn, small piece of cake and about 6 or 7 beers

Comments: Diet wasn't too bad on Saturday, but it was a total mess yesterday. For staters I got out of bed late, had breakfast out (I usually don't eat that much in the morning) and them went to a party thrown for my little sister (she's pregnant and due in about a month and a half). So I basically did only two big meals and added a few beers.

Training for Monday Jan 6, 2002

Light rope jumping for about 5 mins.

Flat BB Bench Press
    95x15
    135x15
    145x12
    150x8

Incline DB Bench Press
    30x16
    40x15
    45x12

Incline Flyes
    25x15x2

Military Press
    65x15
    80x12

Upright Row
    65x15
    75x12
    80x12

Skullcrushers
    50x15
    55x13
    60x12

Comments: Workout went pretty good. Finally I was able to do some rope jumping and it warmed me up nicely before I started lifting. I think there's still room to increase weight in a few excercises so I'll continue to adjust on tyhe following workout sessions

Yesterday I went to the supps store looking for something to complement my post workout shake. The store I usually go to was closed for inventory but they just opened a new store not too far from there so I went to the new store. The didn't have UltraFuel at the moment but they had a supp I haven't heard of before. It's called AfterMax from Otimum Nutrition and the label advertises it as a post workout drink. It say it provides 40 grams of protein, 40 grams of carbs, 5 grams of creatine and I think 5 grams of glutamine per serving (3 scoops). It sounded good enough so I bought a 4 lb tub. I tried it this morming (with water, of course) and it tastes good, so I'm all set now and I'll see if it helps with my diet and training since I wasn't taking creatine before.
    Edgar V.

Originally posted by EdgarMex
    Diet for Saturday Jan 4, 2002

7:30 am 2/3 cup of oats cooked and mixed with 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey
    8:15 am ----- Workout -----
    9:30 am 1.5 scoops Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey mixed witn 1.5 cups of water
    1:00 pm Spanish rice and beef and potatos in a red pepper sauce
    4:00 pm Ham and cheese sandwich and 2 cups low fat yogurt
    8:00 pm 6 beef flautas (deep fried rolled taquitos) and some salad, a handfull of peanuts and 2 small pieces of chocolate candy

I would move the 1:00 p.m. meal back. I recommend having a whold food meal no later than 2 hours after you postworkout recovery shake and sooner than that would probably be better.

Originally posted by bradley

I would move the 1:00 p.m. meal back. I recommend having a whold food meal no later than 2 hours after you postworkout recovery shake and sooner than that would probably be better.
    I usually try to eat within 2 hours after the post workout shake, but I can't always do it within that time because I get to work at 10 and not always have a chance to eat when I should, although I try to make my meals at work around the same time everyday. But I'll keep that in mind and try to do it that way. Thanks for the advice.

Diet for Monday Jan 6, 2002

7:15 am 1/3 cup of oats (dry), 0.5 cup of 2% milk and mixed with 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey
    7:50 am ----- Workout -----
    9:00 am 3 scoops Optimum Nutrition AfterMax mixed witn 2 cups of water
    11:30 pm 1 can of tuna, 3/4 cup of mixed vegetables, 1 teaspoon of mayo and 2 slices of whole wheat bread
    3:00 pm 2 gorditas (sort of like a stuffed pita bread), one was grilled beef with onion, tomato and jalapeŮo and the other one was a tongue stew with pepper
    6:30 pm 1 packet of Myoplex mixed with 2 cups of water (I got this as a sample from the guy at the store where I bought the AfterMax, along with a water bottle and 2 packets of Meso-Tech)

Comments: Diet was ok, I think, the only odd thing was that after drinking the Myoplex (it took me over half over to finish it) I felt like I had just eaten a full meal and by the time I got home I was still feeling my stomach full and wasn't hungry at all (now that's a first, even my wife was surprised by that) so I didn't eat anything before going to bed, but I wasn't feeling hungry when I woke up (another first)

Training for Tuesday Jan 7, 2002

Rest day. I was supposed to do some cardio this morning, but I didn't sleep well last night, I woke up a few tines and didn't fall back asleep right away, so I stayed a bit longer in bed to make up for it. Just slightly sore from yesterday's workout, especially on the front delts, and even tho I did back on Saturday and didn't feel almost any soreness, today my left lat is a bit sore, weird, huh?
    Edgar V.

Diet for Tuesday Jan. 7, 2003

9:30 am 1.5 cups of 2% milk, 1.5 scoops of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, 2 teaspoons of peanut butter, 0.5 cup of oats, 1 banana
    12:00 pm 1 can of tuna, 1 cup of mixed vegetables, 1 teaspoon of mayo, 2 slices of whole wheat bread
    03:00 pm Fried rice and chicken breast nuggets
    06:30 pm 1 packet of Meso-Tech mixed with 1.5 cups of water
    10:00 pm 1 ham and cheese sandwich and a glass of 2% milk

Training for Wednesday Jan. 8, 2003

Squats
    95x15
    135x13
    160x12

Leg Extension
    70x18
    80x18
    95x16

Leg Curl
    45x18
    60x15
    65x7

SLDL
    135x13
    135x12

Standing Calf Raise
    135x20x2

Comments: Overall the workout felt pretty good, thought I wasnít completely satisfied with my form on the last set of squats. On a few of them I felt like I was leaning forward a little bit more than I should. Also, almost towards the end of the first set of SLDL I felt a small pull on the right side at the middle of my back. It didnít hurt much, just a bit uncomfortable.
    Edgar V.