Thread: low carb/cardio?

low carb/cardio?

if you are trying to keep your carbs low and in ketosis, should you be doing cardio? or will you be burning a lot of muscle?

I do it and it works quite well if you increase fats slightly(good fats only),but you have to keep your protein high .At lest 1.5 grams per lb. of BDWT

i walk about 3 nights a week alternating w/my days that i weight train. i walk for about for an hour an a half each night. i get plenty of protien. so its not burning any muscle?

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Well, if your cardio isn't really vigerous, you shouldn't be losing much muscle. IMO, vigerous cardio and calorie deficits= muscle loss.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

I prefer higher intesity an less time when it comes to cardio. When I am low carbing I use 20 grams of BCAAs taken right at the begining and through out my cardio session. Because of the low card diet my body is going to want to use break down body fat and muscle for energy. By taking BCAAs throughout the workout I supply a steady stream of amminos to my body which "tricks" my body into thinking that it is breaking down too much lean tissue and shifts gears to burn more stored BF for energy.
    Another important part of this strategy is to have 2 carb up meals per week. On a low carb diet the whole idea is to keep stored glycogen to a minimum but once your stores are completely empty you will not be able to avoid catabolism. 2 carb up meals per week allows me to maintain minimal glycogen stores without spill over into body fat storage and keeps me in a very efficient fat burning state.

*Oh I should also add that I keep my cardio sessions under 30 minutes. usually closer to 20. I believe that anything over that at a higher intensity level would put my lean tissue at risk. *
    Last edited by gopher; 05-01-2003 at 10:15 AM.

typically - cardio sessions should be no longer than 30 or so minutes when in keto and should not be too intense --- otherwise you are asking for catabolism to occur. cardio can be a good way to rid water bloat after carb up and speed up descent into keto, but if you are already in a calorie deficit, then too much cardio is not recommended on keto.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

well, what if my cardio is walking at about 3.5 to 4.0 MPH. i usually walk for about an hour to an hour an a half. but its super low intensity. is that bad?

if you are breaking a sweat the entire time - i would say that is too much.
    Size is SEXY!

My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

nto really, about 30 minutes into it i do, but its not like im SWEATING, like i do when i work out. just minor sweating.

sweating of any kind indicates you are causing your body temp to rise. if you are doing so for 1.5 hours - i think that is too much on keto.
    but don't let me stop you.
    Size is SEXY!