The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: De Bench

Hybrid View

BIG BOI

De Bench

k DE squat day didnt go good and now im worried about DE bench day(tomorrow morn) .. now i was reading that somewhere i think it was paul or powerman someone said that they dont box squat and they do pause squats... so do i pause at the bottom of the bench also? for a count of 3 or something i think someone said... let me know how im suppose to do this cause squat DE didnt go good and i dont want bench to mess up also..

thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

BIG BOI
    ttt

BIG BOI
    come on

Don't pause a bench at the bottom. You risk injury. The only time you would do this is in competion or prepairing for. To prove you didn't bounce off your chest.

BIG BOI
    so i mean do i bounce it off my chest in the workout? i dont get wha im suppose to do just do it as fast as i can?

BIG BOI
    btw thanks lol

I touch and go up imediately. maybe a little bounce. Keep the bar under control. I am not a great bencher, so mayvbe somebod else could chime in. I do remember reading that there is alot of stress on your shoulder at the bottom of a bench.

BIG BOI
    k i think i got cha.. not crazy out of control speed but good speed. thanks man

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Slower rate of speed... especially coming down. Then an explosive movement and press the weight back up. Keep your butt PLANTED on that bench! No arching the back. Keep your feet PLANTED on the floor, positioned as close to under your butt as you can get them.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

No arching the back? I thought that you were SUPPOSED to arch your back and keep your butt on the bench and your feet firmly planted near your ass...
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Some arching is perfectly natural. I mean the kind of arching where the lifter arches so much that his azz is off the bench. That's cheating, it's ineffective, and it's dangerous.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

No pause on DE bench. Do your 8 sets of 3 as fast as you can, under control. No bounce. Apply full force to the lift.

Use your competition form WRT how you position yourself on the bench. If you use an arch, use it all the time.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Surely you mean a more slight, natural arch...

I mean, I have seen guys arch so much that their shoulders were the only part of 'em touching the bench. That's ususally the sign of someone trying to cheat up more weight than they should... a pre-cursor to injury, certainly, and back in my PL days, such a lift wouldn't be counted.

I mean a legal arch. Ass on the bench.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

speaking of which, which is the best way to break yourself of lifting your ass? I was doing it right after touching the chest. I would then put my butt back down and finnish. Last couple weeks I haven't been doing it. I was wondering maybe feet in closer might help?

Just focuss on not lifting the butt.

And in terms of amount of arch. Do as much as possible, to reduce the distance of the press. In most PL feds, the rules state that the shoulders, head and butt must be on hte bench, everything else is fair game. There is some extreme archers (japanese/russian women come to mind), but get as much as you can, and practice it.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Originally posted by Berserker
    speaking of which, which is the best way to break yourself of lifting your ass? I was doing it right after touching the chest. I would then put my butt back down and finnish. Last couple weeks I haven't been doing it. I was wondering maybe feet in closer might help?
    Someone posted this trick a while ago... Benchmonster, maybe?

Anyway.

Take a light plate (5 lb or so), and tie a short rope to it. Put the rope under your butt, with the plate hanging off the bench. Now, bench. The goal is to keep your ass down so that the plate doesn't fall.

If THAT doesn't work... try sheer WILL POWER!

I dropped the weight abit and I am working my way back up. I am also concentrating on breathing, this has really seemed to help. I am pretty much self taught on everything I do, so I am sure theres room for improvement on my form.