Thread: resistance...

Wannabebig Member

resistance...

I know why free weights are better than machines and that is because you use a lot more muscles to steady the weight on free weights. Machines also only focus on a specific area. I know this question comes up a lot but just not in this way. Machines like the bowflex, and the new ones comming out, seem like they would work. Muscle comes from resistance not from what you're lifting. What makes the bowflex stand out to me is that it is not steady, and you can't use one arm more than the other like on regular machines. You have a total workout like lifting free weights. I know there are downsides, like the cost, buying all the additions, weight cap, and it just doesn't seem manly. I personally don't have one, i go to the gym. I'm just posting this to see if i'm right or if there is some other factor i'm not even thinking about. Most comments aren't supported with anything saying why its not as good. If people gain muscle from wrestling, pushing large objects, lifting, etc... why can't the bowflex work? The only time i can see it actually being less of a workout is when you can go beyond the weight resistance they have. Give solid reasons why its not as good as free weights.

its exercise, im sure it would work well for the average consumer wanting to lose some weight. but for building and strength training purposes it just sucks. from my experience of messing one in a store once...there is no resistance....its like listing the weight(bending the bow), then the negative portion of the rep, the bow bends back to its normal position, so the weight pretty much sets itself back.

but for only 30 minutes a day 3 times a week.......
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

lol @ but for only 30 minutes a day 3 times a week.......
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

Wannabebig Member
    You say there is no resistance, but there is. Put it on bench and at 400lbs and i bet you'll find people wont be able to lift it. Thats resistance. To gain weight you have to lift heavy weights. So find the amount of resistance it takes on the bowflex to match that. After fully extending the bars they will want to go back to its normal position. If you let go of the handles they will shoot back, just like graviting makes weights fall when you drop something while lifting free weights. You have resistance at all times. More resistance = bigger build, so get back on the machine and add more weight and see if you feel resistance.

Originally posted by crab
    You say there is no resistance, but there is. Put it on bench and at 400lbs and i bet you'll find people wont be able to lift it. Thats resistance. To gain weight you have to lift heavy weights. So find the amount of resistance it takes on the bowflex to match that. After fully extending the bars they will want to go back to its normal position. If you let go of the handles they will shoot back, just like graviting makes weights fall when you drop something while lifting free weights. You have resistance at all times. More resistance = bigger build, so get back on the machine and add more weight and see if you feel resistance.
    What he is saying though is when you are bending the bows you can let them bend back at any rate you want. When your doing a set of curls you can't just drop the dumbell when it gets to the top of the rep, you have to control it entirely yourself on the way back down. With the bowflex you can squeeze to the top, then just let go without getting the full negetive resistence. I had a bowlfex years ago and sold it after 3 months. With a thousand dollars you could build a pretty sweet home gym instead of that piece of junk. It's built pretty damn cheap too if you ask me.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Crab-

You'll likely find no supporters here. These folks are VERY anti-machine. It's all about the free weights.

But what so many of them fail to realize is that the average poster and would-be weight lifter here is John Q. Couchpotato and they would probably have a pretty difficult time handing that machine for 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week.

Machines have their place in the world.

Once a lifter decides to become a lifter, then he/she needs to establish realistic goals, and then dedicate to them.

That's where most lifters fail. And it has very little to do with free weights, machines, OR stabilizer muscles.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Im not against machines really,i used them myself when I started out.I think the reason most people give a negative view towards them is,that it just seems daft to spend huge amounts of money on the various machines etc,when for a fraction of the price you can get a barbell,dumbells some weights and an adjustable bench,and do pretty much 90% of the exercises you could do with 10,000 worth of machinery,not only that but most people would agree that the strength gains from using free weights are much more functional in real life.I remember thinking I was pretty strong years ago because i could lift plenty of weight on leg press machines and bench machines etc,until I was larking around and picked up one of my mates and nearly dropped him on his head(admittedly i was drunk at the time)but it made me realise that it's pretty much useless in real life to have a 1000lb leg press but not to have the strength in my torso,that comes from free bar squatting,deadlifts etc.That's why when beginners ask wether they should use free weight's or machines,people like me will say free weights,of course machines will work,but why use them.Unless there is some specific reason such as a fear of dropping a free bar on yourself doing benchpress(get a spotter)or if you have a specific injury you are trying to work around.Free weights are cheaper,work better,and will give you more functional strench in the real world in my opinion.I would always base any routine around the core compound lifts with a free bar.Squats,Deadlifts,Bench press and barbell overhead pressing then Bent over rowing,Standing barbell curls,Scullcrushers etc etc.
    Last edited by howsertrading; 05-04-2003 at 07:18 AM.
    Stats:
    Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 210
    BF: plenty
    Chest: 46"
    Arms:18"
    Thighs:29" now down to 28"
    Calves: 17.5"

Bench Max 308 x 4
    Squat 330 x 3 ATF
    Deadlift 404.8 x 1

I think the Bowflex is probably OK for it's advertised use. That's to help overweight people that don't currently workout get into better shape and lose weight.
    I think that if you want to do more than maintain a weight loss or be in what most of use would consider average shape than free weights and compound movements are best to get "big".

There are two issues with the bowflex.

One is that the resistance changes through the ROM (which in some cases isn't a bad thing, but in the bowflex' case, it may or may not match your strength curve).

The second is the insane price tag for a machine that most who get serious will outgrow very quickly.

For what you will spend on a bowflex, you could outfit a home gym with virtually everything you need, and never out grow it.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Bingo, Paul!

Anyway ya look at it, if you are gonna spend the green and stick with it, buy better, more virsatile equipment that will grow right along with ya!
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger