Thread: For those of you who have worked in a bank type setting: interview help please.

Mystic Eric

For those of you who have worked in a bank type setting: interview help please.

Hey. I got an interview at a bank next week. I just wanted some of your help. If any of you have worked for a bank or anything like that, could you please tell me what I can expect during the interview? And how would I "wow" the manager during the interview?

As well, what kind of clothing should I wear? I'm applying to be a teller so I was thinking that khakis, an oxford shirt and a red tie along with suede shoes would probably be sufficient. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Mystic Eric; 04-25-2003 at 01:42 PM.

I would imagine as a teller you probably need to come off being very comfortable talking with strangers straight away. A good smile and personality. People skills.

As far as anything else, I have no idea because I don't have a clue as to what tellers really do. Just be comfortable though.

One thing I've found is to offer your own experiences as part of questions. For example if they ask you if you are good with people or some bull crap like that, reply with more than just yes. Explain that you have meet many new people in your classes at school and continue to make friends all the time. Try to give specific examples and stuff that they might be able to relate to.

Its helped me at least. I think.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Wear a suit if you have one, even for a teller job. Lets them know you mean business and you are professional.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Yep, wear a suit or at least a jacket and dress shirt.

You have to convey integrity, attention to detail, and a general friendly/customer service type attitude.

Some examples of leadership and crisis management might be good to bring up if the opportunity arises.

Also, have a think about what your long term goals are.

Finally, knowing what products that particular bank offers would be a good idea. Go to their website and compare their products to those of their competetors (eg. interesting GICs or mortgage products).

Good luck!
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Mystic Eric
    Well the khaki idea is obviously out the window. I'm gonna have to borrow some money and buy some "professional" clothes. I better hope that I get hired or I'm gonna end up wasting money

hemants, when you say "leadership and crises" management could you give me some examples of what you mean?

Banned
    Most of the questions will be framed as such: "Describe a situation where...". The good thing about questions like these is that you can pull stuff out of your ass right then and there because they haven't any idea what type of experiences you've actually had .

So for a "leadership and crisis" type question it would be something like "Describe a situation where you in were in a group and something didn't go exactly as planned. What did you do to amend the situation?" The questions are about as open-ended as you can get. They are just trying to get you to talk to make sure you can communicate effectively. Pausing to think about what you are going to say before you say it is fine...one word answers are not.
    Last edited by Vido; 04-25-2003 at 06:16 PM.

I've worked for a bank before in a part time capacity, the main thing I think you should realise is that you have to put accross that you understand that you will be the face of the bank. Whether to a customer in a branch or one the phone, whatever, to that person you are "the bank".

So dress profesionally, act professionally and act like you really care about the role. Be ambitious, banks love promoting from within.

And be ready for questions like "describe a situation where you have appropriately......" - and most revolve around customer services.

Also be ready for some long ass background checks, after I got the job I have to wait like a month whilst they checked all my references, did a credit check and that kinda thing.

Good luck though!
    half the time I have no idea what you're talking about. the other half, I'm not listening.

Wannabebig Member
    I worked as a teller for a year. Banks are so hard up for tellers you could probably blow the interview and still get hired. My bank wanted a drug screen before I worked. The way I impress employers (for banks or anywhere else) is go on the internet and get some facts about the history of the bank (founder, year founded) and the bank's mission statement. Repeat the facts back to the employer and incorporate them into the "why you want to work here" question. It impresses employers when you go the added mile to get information about the company. Talk about how you relate to their customer service goal and give examples how you have done that. Talk about how you admire the original founder's vision, and motivation to start the bank despite whatever hardships he was facing at the time. Do this and I'll bet you'll be employed. Make sure you keep us up to date about the job.

Mystic Eric
    So I'm guessing that I should dress professional? So dress shirt, tie, and slacks? Or does it really matter?

Banned
    Yes, looking the part is just as important as actually interviewing well.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Also, sit down after the interviewer sits down.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

and when you shake hands have a firm grip and look the interviewer in the eye while greeting him.

Mystic Eric
    Just some last minute help before the job interview tomorrow:

When I shake her hand (the manager is a woman) how should I shake it? 'Cause I have a firm handshake but what happens if she has a dinky one?

Crush her hand without mercy or hesitation.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Good luck Eric!
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Crush her hand without mercy or hesitation.
    Exactly. Let her know you mean business.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

Mystic Eric
    Thanks for all your support and advice everyone!

i'm a bank teller right now, been one for about 8 months. i think much of it depends on the actual interviewer as to what kind of questions you'll be asked. i'd treat is like any other job interview where you'll act professional and answer the questions comfortably and tell them what they want to hear.

oh yea you should look nice too, you don't necessarily have to have a suit though. a shirt and tie with the khaki pants will still work, since that is the standard attire for most tellers anyway.
    "It's a good weight... for a small woman." -Dorian Yates

Mystic Eric
    Btw, I got the job

Niiiiiiiiice.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.