The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Why is a BB bench a compound exercise but DB bench aint?

I understand that dumbell presses isolate the chest more. But don't they incorporate all the same muscles that the barbell bench press does?

I drew this question from reading the 100lbs bench in 8 months where they're talking about the squat, deadlift and bench being compound exercises and very taxing on your system. I understand and agree with that, but is a barbell bench really that much more taxing on your system than a dumbell bench?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Back at it
    'Bench' just a broad classification that includes several subcategories such as flat BB bench, Flat DB bench, incline BB bench, incline DB bench, decline BB bench, and decline DB bench.

There are several variations of squats and deads as well. Front squats, ATF squats/ sumo deads, conventional deads.... etc, etc, etc.

Flat BB bench tends t obe more of a standard when comparing bench strength, as are parallel squats and conventional deads.

Dumbell bench is pretty much the same thing.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Who said that db press was not compound? As GIS said all benches are compound.

Definition: An exercise that involves two or more joint movements.

Back at it
    The thing that you will find with DB's are that the movement invovles the stabalizer muscles to a greater degree. So, I suppose you could say DB's are more of a compound movement, but the lifting world classifies both DB and BB presses as 'compound'. Some may have differences in detailed definitions of the two, but you'll be safe calling both compounds.

What I noticed between DB and Barbell bench is that my rep range is more limited in DB, lets say I reach failure on 8 reps @ 50s, I may not be able to get any reps @ 55s (10 pound increase). With barbell you can increase/decrease with little weight allowing you to have a great control of rep ranges. Maybe this is a little off topic
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.