The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Found this site to lose some weight, but have physical limitations...

Hi all,

I found this site in hopes that you guys can give me a hand on working out and losing weight and trying to turn some of my flab into muscle

Anyways... I have had a problem for my whole life, and that's flat feet. The main problem this causes me is that I can't run on a treadmill or really do any sports because my feet hurt immensely and my heart starts to palpate too much and I need to stop. Also I get shin splints quickly, and my kidneys hurt because I have no arches to take the impact from the movement.

But I need to lose weight and get into shape. First question would be, what cardio do I do to lose weight off my midsection? I know running is good, and I can't do it. Swimming is good but there aren't any pools around here. I have seen thousands of infomercials on 'no impact' and I don't want to waste my money on things that might not work for me. So if you folks have some advice for me in this regard I'd appreciate it.

Secondly, I have no real interest in getting BIGGG. I just want to cut up my body, get defined without getting bulky. Since I've never really worked out as a regiment before (school has always interfered in whatever 'regiment' I'd want to set up), now that I'm starting work I need some help to get started.

I probably can't lift 10 lbs, can't bench much, etc. I do have big legs, and it runs in my family, and I think I could probably do a bit of work on my legs.. otherwise I'm a pretty weak person since I haven't had much routine at all in my life.

And as a result, I'm clueless on where to start. I've read about taking supplements but they tend to get expensive... I've tried nearly every protein bar and shake on the market and they all taste terrible and I'd throw up before I could use them. I have heard creatine is good -- not sure if it will help me or how it would. I generally eat a lot of protein and low carbs, but I don't worry much about my fat intake as I've been doing a semi-Atkins diet in order to keep my weight under control.

I'm just about 6 feet tall, and I weigh on average ~180-182 lbs.

I know it's a lot of questions but like I said I'm very clueless in EVERY regard. I've gone to tons of websites and they all say different things and I can't really ask questions. So I figured I'd come here where people are already 'in the know' and I can ask questions as they arise

I thank you for your help!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

hey! first of all, welcome to the forum!

i suggest that you check out the main site :
    www.wannabebig.com and especially the nutrition section, also there are alot of good info on what to eat in the Diet and Nutrition section of this forum;

i would recommend that you start of with theWBB I routine, and maybe combine it with some cardio after you have gotten into the routine of things. Maybe some cycling?

Wannabebig Member
    The problem with cycling is that I sit on my duff and do nothing. I'd rather have an exercise that's no impact, but also will work out my midsection like running does.

Any tips? I've read about a Precor machine but I'm not sure if it will give me results.

i dont think that your midsection gets a workout of running. thats what we have chrunches for. you might want to check out HIIT though. its more fun to do than just normal cardio on a bike.

hercules, keep in mind that no matter how much you workout your midesection, you cannot spot trim fat rom your body. you will just eventually lose all the fat.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

FAT
    can you swim
    LHA 4 LIFE

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by PaulB
    can you swim
    I know how, but there are no facilities in the area

Anybody hear anything about this Precor machine?

I'm 6ft and I wouldn't think that if you're 6ft and 180lbs that you really have a lot of fat. Do you know your BF%? If not most gyms can test you for free. Untill then I'd concentrate on building muscle, it will help firm-up any flab you might have and also increase your metabolism which will burn more calories.

Wannabebig Member
    Welp I'm gonna start working on it

Anybody think Creatine is good, and what experiences do you have with Protein Shakes? I've tasted quite a few shakes and hated the taste of all of them; still looking to find a decent one

And again, anybody know anything bout the Precor machine?
    Start: March 19, 2007
    6' - 196 lbs

End: Hopefully less!

My FitDay

1) Join a gym. Use one of their eliptical machines. It will be just fine for a person with flat feet. Some gyms have pools too. Saying that there is no pool near you smells of BS. Pools are everywhere.

2) No amount of cardio, diet, or exercise will remove fat exclusivly from your gut. Fat is lost across your whole body, along with your midsection, at the same time. Focus on loosing fat everywhere.

3) Lift. Adding muscle will burn more calories while you're sitting around doing nothing, taking pressure off of your diet. Having muscle left when you're done loosing fat will mean the difference between a skeleton walking around and someone with definition. You don't want to be a skeleton.

4) Don't worry about suppliments, except maybe protein. Only worry about protein if you are having trouble getting enough in your diet daily, and after your workout. If you can't find a protein powder you like, hold your nose and drink it anyway.

5) If you want to seriously change how you look, plan on changing who you are. You can't just be someone who just works out occasionally, you have to become someone who LOVES to work out. Things in life may cause you to have to alter your routine a little, but nothing should ever have to cause you to stop.

Wannabebig Member
    Welp I'm not sure about the pool... I'm going to find out soon

The job I just got has a big gym there and I'll probably just use theirs instead of spending money on one. Besides it seems smarter to work out right after work, so I can make it a routine without any hiccups. I work out for an hour, hour and a half or so every day or every other day (not sure) and it won't be hard at all.

The only question I have is how many days should I do cardio, and how many should I do weights? Should they overlap or..? I know that cardio alone won't help me get the results so I am trying really hard to get with the program. Once I see the results I know I'll be hooked
    Start: March 19, 2007
    6' - 196 lbs

End: Hopefully less!

My FitDay

Brandon7775643 gave some excellent advice there. Read it again, and then again

Personally I do my cardio on off days.

My routine looks like this:

Mon - weights
    Tues - cardio
    Weds - weights
    Thurs - cardio
    Fri - weights
    Thurs - weights
    Sun - rest

To be honest it doesn't really matter whether you do cardio on off or on days. If I was going to do them on on days I would split weights and cardio into am and pm though.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 05-04-2003 at 01:26 PM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

how do you get time to train 6 times a week, hulk?

im lucky if i can squeze in 3

Well each session doesn't go over an hour and I work 9am - 6pm so how could I NOT find the time to train that much

I normally get home about 6:15 ish, chill have some food and go to the gym for 8pm.. I find I don;t get much of an evening, but hey week days are boring anyway, so might as well spend them at the gym!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Originally posted by Brandon7775643
    1) Join a gym. Use one of their eliptical machines. It will be just fine for a person with flat feet. Some gyms have pools too. Saying that there is no pool near you smells of BS. Pools are everywhere.

The elliptical machines would be my suggestion as well. They're low impact and they'll give you a decent cardio workout.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

The Precor is an elliptical machine, I believe. It will be a good low-impact aerobic workout. Also search on HIIT at this site. It's an anaerobic workout that is better for losing weight than jogging or other aerobic exercise. You can do HIIT workouts while jogging, riding, or using an elliptical or stair climber.

You might be able to help your flat feet out by strengthening the muscles on the soles of your feet. You can raise on your toes using body weight only- ten reps at a time, several times a day. You can also do feet workouts where you pick up objects like marbles or pencils with your toes. You can also curl your toes as hard as you can several times a day. You can do this while sitting at work/school or while watching TV. All this won't eliminate flat feet, but strengthening these muscles may help support what curvature you do have in your arches.

Also proper shoe selection helps. Some shoes are better than others in providing arch support and cushioning heel strike forces. A visit to a podiatrist might do you more good than any advice I'm cooking up here off the top of my head. Good luck in all you're doing.