Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: getting a start on male domination

Narrow-minded eh?

For which, the part where I said Males dominate sports? Please tell me that's not what you were talking about...

Or...

The fact that women and men are pretty much equal. Sure, men still have an advantage all over, in almost every aspect, but that gap is closing.

Do you not agree that women have a lot more rights than they did 50 or even 20 years ago? Women can pretty much do anything that they want, besides being President...

As for whoever said the WNBA/NBA attendence comment (Sorry, I forgot who said it)

I don't know the attendence numbers, although I'm sure they're staggering, but I do know payroll numbers...

I saw on ESPN.com the other day that the WNBA payroll is something like $10 million, may have been $20 million, so we'll go with that.

That's the entire WNBA payroll, while in the NBA, Kevin Garnett of the Minnesota Timberwolves is being paid close to $30 million a year...

That fact alone tips the scales in the charts that map what men make vs. what women make a year. It's all demand, people demand men's sports, not women's.

Sorry if I got off topic, and I don't intend to flame anyone, so if I did...

Sorry.
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Originally posted by Reinier
    The discrimination of women because their household work is not shared with their partner and is not appreciated is the WOMANs own damn fault. after all, she accepted it that first time that her man came home after she worked hard all day and he sits on the couch with his feet up and tells her to get him a beer and "wheres my dinner bitch" etc

She married that asshole. She puts up with it. she could go out there and find a man who is worth his salt.
    dont tell me ahh but divorce is hard and there are kids etc. she knew before she got stuck what he was like. she accepted it. now she shouldn`t whine.

I can't agree with this. I guess when women get raped they did something to deserve it, too.
    Last edited by Delphi; 05-06-2003 at 09:27 PM.

Originally posted by Tryska
    so question....if they didn't allow black men (was that augusta national too, pre-tiger?) would that be okay?

i don't mind a little domination here and there.

if thats the club policy you bet your ass it's ok...

if people thought it was racist(which it sure sounds like it), then they would exercise their freedom of choice by not joining that club

if black men felt the need to get even, then they could sure as hell start up a black only club.

thats the beauty of the private sector, well, in the prototypical mode, you can design your business however you feel.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Originally posted by MrWebb78

if thats the club policy you bet your ass it's ok...

if people thought it was racist(which it sure sounds like it), then they would exercise their freedom of choice by not joining that club

if black men felt the need to get even, then they could sure as hell start up a black only club.

thats the beauty of the private sector, well, in the prototypical mode, you can design your business however you feel.
    :withstupi
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

maybe if women negotiated better they would earn more
    n. pl. wom·en (wmn)

1. An adult female human.

2. Women considered as a group; womankind: “Woman feels the invidious distinctions of sex exactly as the black man does those of color” (Elizabeth Cady Stanton).

3. An adult female human belonging to a specified occupation, group, nationality, or other category. Often used in combination: an Englishwoman; congresswoman; a saleswoman.

4. Feminine quality or aspect; womanliness.

5. A creature incapable of negotiating. Often associated with screaming and scratching in times where compromise is necessary. See: "Damn it, woman"
    AIM: RyanNSIT
    MSN: rlambert@netsourceit.com

lmao, dont forget incapable of compromise either
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    As far as the whole Augusta National thing goes: First of all, golf is a silly sport and I can't believe we are spending so much time and energy on this topic when there are other much more important REAL issues to be tackled . Secondly, those narrow-minded old white men who only want to hang out with their own kind are going to die soon anyways...I can afford to be generous and let them have their moment b/c I'm going to outlive them anyways

And seriously, the membership policies at Augusta are more about "class" than about gender. It's kept exclusive by means of exhorbitant membership fees. Most males can't join either unless they are filthy rich and powerful. But then we don't like to acknowledge that class is an issue in America...but that's a whole 'nother discussion....
    Last edited by IceRgrrl; 05-07-2003 at 06:15 AM.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Totally, dude!
    I blame Cuba.

i see your point webbie - very libertarian of you, as well.

i guess my issue then is this.....why are we even honoring a club that has these type of standards by allowing them to be part of PGA tours. I don't care if they ahve the best course - if they are not going to allow some of the premier players of the world to play their course, why should they even get the honor of hosting?

you know what i mean?

and in part i agree that woman can negotiate her salary. i always have, and i am in a male dominated occupation, yet i've always made as much as or more than my male counterparts.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

well i am finaly finished with my paper, thank for everyones input it help me out alot....now i need to get out of the feminine mod and get back into manley mod.

*leaves thread to go kill somthing
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

i see your point webbie - very libertarian of you, as well.

i guess my issue then is this.....why are we even honoring a club that has these type of standards by allowing them to be part of PGA tours. I don't care if they ahve the best course - if they are not going to allow some of the premier players of the world to play their course, why should they even get the honor of hosting?

you know what i mean?

and in part i agree that woman can negotiate her salary. i always have, and i am in a male dominated occupation, yet i've always made as much as or more than my male counterparts.

i dont know much about golf except that when ive played it my blood pressure was thru the roof, so i will attempt to answer this in some way shape or form...

i guess the fact that it IS the best or hardest course is the reason that it serves a purpose on the PGA tour. but i really dont see the connection between a nationwide debate over a golf course thats on tv once a year, and an uppity ritzy country club that has backwards policies. for anyone who doesnt like the policies can simply turn of the tv, besides, the lower ratings it gets, the less money the pocket.

and i think its simply tradition that allows this course to be "honored", if thats what its to be called. i realize this isnt 1956 anymore, but if thats the way its always been, why not let them have it. afterall, its only golf.

what is your occupation if you dont mind me asking

6'2"
    273 lbs.

IT geek.

umm...but okay.....venus and serena williams.....if they were not allowed to play at wimbledon, because of the color of their skin, regardless of if they are the best female tennis palyers of the moment,a nd made it everywhere else on the circuit....should the women's open be palyed at wimbledon? you know what i mean?

this is a purely hypothetical question btw...and probably a very twisted analogy, since i don't watch tennis.

Tryska:

AIM: RyanNSIT
    MSN: rlambert@netsourceit.com

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    wow a feminist and a homophobe all rolled into one.
    No I am a logical person.
    w00t

I didn't read this thread but I disagree with everyone.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

One crazy MOFO/Mail man

maybe if women negotiated better they would earn more
    That's analagous to saying "if women just earned more they would earn more". They are discriminated against and that is why their is an earns gap. Women are brought up much differently then men. Convieniently the skills and behaviour impressed into the "female gender" are all devalued while the "male gender" attributes are held in high value. The system is set up to discriminate against women. They were never taught to be aggressive, straight forward, boastful and a whole other host of typical male traits. But that is what the professional world values. Funny the majority of males get taught this...
    w00t

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    Originally posted by Rastaman

LOL! I'm glad someone else noticed. Oh, the irony.
    No irony here.
    w00t

damn the evil white man....cry me a river, all of you

6'2"
    273 lbs.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I agree with Matt.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Originally posted by Riggs

EDIT- oh and its also funny how Martha Burk shutup after the KKK rally at the Masters drew more people then hers. Not to mention most of her protestors were recruited by her from a college at the promise of lunch. (a tactic historically used in many protests)
    Yeah, I call it a victory when the FREAKING KKK IS ON YOUR SIDE.

there is absolutely no reason other than stirring up **** that women need to play the Augusta National, there are thousands of other perfectly good country clubs and golf courses that serve their purpose.
    Of course, no one actually listend to what Martha Burke said. Part of that is her fault, because she is very shrill, but you know what? I'm gonna lump the lions share of blame on STUPID PEOPLE.

Martha Burke said that Augusta can do whatever the hell it wants. What is inappropriate is that a national sporting org. chooses to hold an event at an exclusionary club and the PGA should be held to higher standards. Furthermore, that the membership of Augusta is largely made up of CEOs and top execs of public companies like AmEX and Microsoft, and it is inappropriate for them to be a part of a mysogynistic, old (mostly) white boys club, and (especially female) consumers should know about it and boycott their products.

And worst of all is how people keep calling golf a sport. Bah! Now that's a joke.

Stupidity? Point me at it! Bring it on!

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

give up my amex card?

i'm not sure i'm that commited to golf.

anyhoo....ok...what Martha Burke was syaing is what my point was a couple of posts up about the PGA.