Thread: Is MENTZER's HIT Program too low volume???

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Is MENTZER's HIT Program too low volume???

I know a ton of people out there now use HIT, but I dont know anyone who uses Mentzer's workout from his recent books. He advocates 3-4 sets per workout with 3 or more days rest inbetween. It seems like everyone out there doing HIT does quite a few more sets than this with less rest days inbetween.

Is Mentzer's routine too low in volume and is it better to do a little more?

I started with Mentzer's program almost 2 years ago and made some awesome initial gains but I stopped lifting for 6 months or so. Now I keep trying to do another HIT workout with a little more volume and I just feel stuck. I shouldnt be in a plateau because I just came off of 6 months rest. I cant decide if I should go back to fewer sets and more rest or what. Let me know what you think. Has anyone tried Mentzers program? Some people tell me that with HIT you will plateau and never be able to get past it.

there was soooooo a thread on this a week ago. *uses the budiak diet*
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Who...wa.....Huh??

Is MENTZER's HIT Program too low volume???
    Yes!

Simplistic
    You said you added volume and it didn't work as well. Try lowering the volume to where it was when you made gains with it.

Wannabebig Member
    Thats what I am thinking about doing, but I am worried the problem may be the other way around. Maybe my volume is still too low, its only at about 6-7 sets per workout. Everyone seems to think my initial gains were just because I was a beginner, but that I wont continue to make gains with Mentzer's program. This is what I am trying to figure out. I think I am going to stick to what I am doing for at least another month and see where I am.
    Last edited by Biggfish02; 05-06-2003 at 10:40 PM.

Simplistic
    Bashing HIT and Mentzer has become the "in" thing to do.
    Subsequently most of the people who do it have not experienced large gains in their lifetime.
    Everyone will tell you it doesn't work, but I think if you give it a fair chance you will be pleased.
    Last edited by Neil; 05-06-2003 at 11:04 PM.

Wannabebig New Member TheMuscleCouple's Avatar

HIT Works But....

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Bashing HIT and Mentzer has become the "in" thing to do.
    Subsequently most of the people who do it have not experienced large gains in their lifetime.
    Everyone will tell you it doesn't work, but I think if you give it a fair chance you will be pleased.
    Few trainees ever learn to do it "properly".

We've recently become converts and have written extensively about it on our site.

You can check out our initial article here

We're glad to finally be a member of the forums here and look forward to learning from everyone.

Please for anybody here going to the Olympia, hit us up as we'll be around the Expo and look forward to meeting others committed to the fitness lifestyle.