The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Too much?

Wannabebig Member

Too much?

I am a Grappler, like UFC kind of stuff. I am very much into it. I am also into lifting. Here is what I do for training°¶

Mornings; 2-3 mile run
    Afternoon; Grappling class
    Night; Lifting

Here is my split°¶
    Day One; Chest/Sholder/tri°Įs (3 exercises, 4 sets of 8-12 each)
    Day Two; Back/Bi (3 exercises, 4 sets of 8-12 each)
    Day Three; Legs (Squat, Hack Squat, Lunges, SLDL, & Extensions/curls)
    Day Four; off
    Repeat

People tell me I am over training. What do you guys think?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    the only reason I ask is I have been at this a long time and not made very good gains

Do that voodoo that he do
    Do you feel overtrained?

Are you stagnating in the gym?

Overtraining is an individual thing.

Are you natural?

Looking at that split, I'd say that chances are you're headed for overtraining. However, this could depend upon your lifting volume, intensity, etc.

If you do feel overtrained, try going on a three day/week lifting split.

An example would be the ol' Push-Pull-Legs split:

Day 1: Push
    Day 2: Rest
    Day 3: Legs
    Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: Pull
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Rest

Man, that Day One looks like a killer. I've tried chest/shoulders/tris on the same nite before and I just ran out of gas way too early.

Are you eating?

With that much work on your plate you wanna be eating like a horse... or maybe even a horse!

Personally I would add some rest days in there and train once a week.

Wannabebig Member
    I donít think I know what over trained would feel like. I lift with intensity.

I sleep about 8 hours a day on weekdays and more on week ends. I eat as much as I can, but I eat clean so itís hard.

I am natural. I think thatís a step I should make after I am doing everything else I can. One of my teammates isnít and it really isnít helping him.

I had a long talk with another one of my teammates today about lifting. He is an x-body builder type him self and has been down this road. What I have been trying to do is have my cake and eat it too. But there are some things I can change.

Hereís the split he recommendedÖ

Monday; Legs

Tuesday; abs/calves

Wednesday; Back/biís

Thursday; Shoulder

Friday; Chest/triís

Saturday; Off

Sunday; Off

What do you guys think?
    Thanks for all the help

Originally posted by College_GuyPKS

Hereís the split he recommendedÖ

Monday; Legs

Tuesday; abs/calves

Wednesday; Back/biís

Thursday; Shoulder

Friday; Chest/triís

Saturday; Off

Sunday; Off

What do you guys think?
    Thanks for all the help
    That looks a lot better, except Tuesday seema kinda pointless. I could do abs & calves in like 20 mins, hardly worth a trip to the gym. I'd say do calves on leg day, and abs on another day (perhaps with shoulders on Thursday) or before one of your morning runs.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

ďTake things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.Ē ó Bruce Lee

May not be a good idea to work on Chest right after doing shoulder the day before. I would do Chest and shoulder on the same day or keep the two workouts at least 2 or 3 days apart from each other.

Every day is Bench day
    "I am a Grappler, like UFC kind of stuff".

I'll put you in a keylock hold from side position and remove your arm from your shoulder for you. How's that sound? I'm just kidding. I'm more of a fan. Learned a little basic ground control techniques in the past. Where do you train (Grappling) and with who?

B20
    "LET'S GET IT ON!"- John McCarthy

the more you eat and the more you sleep, the more you can train, so its not overtraining if youre eatin enough.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I believe Cutler once said 'There is no such thing as overtraining. There is only undereating and undersleeping.'

I tend to believe him. If you are overtraining in this situation either your diet is lacking something or you are not sleeping enough. If you are an experienced athlete, I dont think you should be overtrained with that training regimen.

I would, however, switch to that other split just to toss things up and make it all more interesting. Its all up to you.

I do believe you should also be doing some full body/explosive power movements like snatches and power cleans. Perhaps once every two weeks, devote a day of training to olympic moves and other complex lifts. This would be Power cleans, snatches, push press, all kinds of deadlifts, etc. In wrestling you need that speed and full body strength. I hope I'm not being naive in comparing grappling to wresting in this regard. Get an edge on the loser who isnt doing power cleans. When they ask your secret, tell them it was Cell-tech, and to **** themselves.

Also, you didnt mention them, but I will also throw out that you should be doing some serious grip work. If you're a grappler then I trust you are so I wont go into detail.
    Last edited by Budiak; 05-07-2003 at 03:30 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    College-I am also an MMA fighter How many days are you rolling/grappling?? and what are your goals-do you want to be a fighter? are you bulking or cutting? I recommend doing explosive compound lifts and low sets. YOu want to keep you sessions short. Try checking out www.mma.tv go to the underground forum and then to the strength & conditioning forum. wannabebig is great but not geared to what you want-mma.tv is geared directly for fighters.
    Last edited by teenidol1; 05-07-2003 at 07:40 AM.
    Teenidol1

"You can say whatever you want. But you would still be wrong, of course." -Henry Rollins

Hell is other people- Jean-Paul Sartre

I don't like that your using your shoulder wed-fri. Shoulder injuries are a weak point for me. I don't like to do more then 2 days in a row exercises that involve shoulders. Just me though. IF your young might not be a big deal.

Wannabebig Member
    THe shoulder thing bothers me to. I have bad shoulders so it is a big deal. He said to do high reps for shoulders so I guess its cool with me.

My goal is to be a fighter, right now all I do is grappeling. I get on the mat about 4-5 times a week.

I am trying to bulk. I am a welter weight and it burns me up to be called that. But its a waste becasue I am going to have to cut pretty soon for GQ.

Grappeling is a lot like wrestling!

Personaly I find that most fighters lift like old women. So I take there advice as a grain of salt and thats it.

Right now I am training at a place in Albequerque New Mexico called Jackson's. It was the KOTK fight school of the year. But I am heading home to New England soon. Where I'll probably do BJJ and wrestling.

What would be a good split that would work in power lifting?

What would be a good abs work out? I usaily just do a bunch of crunches in the morning, but then again I really don't have great abs.

Thanks for all this help
    Later