Thread: Looking for advice and opinions on my training results thus far....

Wannabebig Member

Looking for advice and opinions on my training results thus far....

When i started my training and diet program in January, i weighed in at 218 lbs. standing an even 6 ft. I wasnt necessarily fat, but no doubt i was in need of dropping around 20 lbs. and adding some muscle. Since that time, i have been pretty good at staying on my routine. I've only missed a day or two of training twice since January, so i'm staying dedicated. My diet consists of eating 5 to 6 small meals throughout the day with a mix of protein, carbs, and fats. I usually have 1 cheat day during the week and no more. I've been very good with the diet, not ever really falling off the wagon.
    My workouts consist of Mon-Wed-Fri-Sun alternating between upper and lower body workouts. My routine is similar to the WBB routine, heavier weights with lower reps. I've been taking creatine, whey, multi vitamin, and non-ephadrine fat burner.
    Saying this, here are my results to date.......I weighed in yesterday at the gym at 210 lbs. So i've lost 8 lbs. since January. Doesnt seem like much but i have made very noticable changes in my body. I've lost 2 pant and 1 shirt sizes. My wife tells me she definitely can see a noticable difference in my gut going down and my chest is firming up as well. My legs are starting to look very good and toned.
    However, i'm still not very happy with the fact i've only lost 8 lbs. in over 4months now. I know a scale is not the best judge of progress one makes when dieting or training, but i cant help but think something just doesnt seem right. I was talking about this with my wife last night and she agreed it seemed weird i've only lost 8 lbs. but my body is definitely improving, particularly that i can wear clothes i hadnt been able to get into in over a year. What is frustrating is that i follow the diet very close and rarely do i miss a workout. I'm still sporting a belly i would die to get rid of.
    The two things i'm considering changing is taking an ephedran fat burner such as ripped fuel extreme compared to the non ephadrine stuff. Also, i'm gonna start using glutamine daily along with the current supps.
    So i was wondering if i should be a bit disappointed in the lack of weight loss or not? My wife thinks i'm doing great and doesnt understand my disappointment, however, my wife would love me if i weighed 350 lbs as well. Add to the fact that during this same stretch of time my wife has dropped 20 lbs. with the same routine, i'm wondering what the heck is wrong?
    Anyone have any advice, opinions, or ideas about my training and routine? How about my supplement intake?
    Any responses would and will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Wannabebig Member
    not one mention of cardio... something aint right...

Wannabebig Member
    cardio is done in between workout days. usually a spin class for 45 minutes.

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    How many calories are you taking in? Whats your macro nutrient breakdown look like (% of protien/% of carbs/% of fats)? Also be sure you're taking in enough fats, don't be afraid of the healthy ones.

8lbs in 4 months isn't even that bad in my opinion...you should be trying to lose slowly so you don't lose muscle as well. .5-1lb per week is about the desired rate I would think. You seem to be about on track with that number. Also, you've probably put on muscle and burned a little fat. Since muscle is heavier than fat, the scale probably didn't go down as much as you would have thought. I don't know what your bodyfat % is, but the more muscle you put on, the more calories (and fat) you'll burn too. Give us some more info on your diet, what you're eating and how much and maybe we can help ya a little more.

Congrats on the progress so far by the way!

Wannabebig Member
    I try to take in about 320 calories a meal. Im basically trying to stick to the 40/30/30 breakdown.
    Heres a general idea of what i eat on a daily basis.....
    Breakfast - LowFat Yogurt, 1 peice whole wheat toast, 1/2 apple juice
    Mid Morning snack - Cottage cheese fruit and/or Whey protein
    Lunch - Chicken breast, vegetable
    Mid Afternoon snack - Peanut Butter, Cottage Cheese, and/or Protein bar
    Afterworkout Shake - Whey and dextrose
    Dinner - Vegetable, and Fish or Chicken or Steak, and salad w/lowfat dressin
    Before Bed - Either Whey or Protein bar or Cottage Cheese or Peanut Butter

Obviously it differs between meals, but thats a general idea of how a day goes. I also drink about a gallon of water daily too.

The other thing that bothers me is that i suspect my bf % is near 21 or 22 'ish. I'm one of those guys who looks great at work with a shirt on but if i took it off you'd go, "Hey you might wanna loose some weight to get rid of that belly". Thats why most of my friends at work when i tell them the diet and training program i'm on they think i'm nuts and dont need to loose any weight. My health is good and for the most part i look decent, but i wanna look a whole hell of alot better than i do now. With summer coming up i dont wanna be self conscious going to the beach and taking my shirt off. I wanna be one of those guys that is nicely built, not your average 30 yr. old who has a beer belly and man boobs.
    Would it be better to take an ephedra type fat burner instead of the non ephedra? I personnally dont think what i've been taking has helped much. I was thinking of switching to Ripped Fuel Extreme.

Any other advice or comments would be great. Thanks again.

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    Your diet looks pretty good, but I think you could use more EFA's. The only source I see of these in your diet would be the Peanut Butter and the Fish. Maybe you should supplement with some Fish Oil caps or some Flax oil. You could use Olive or Flax oil as the dressing on your salad.

If you're not losing as fast as you'd like, try dropping your cals by 100 per week until you're losing at the desired rate. If you're taking in ~320 cals at 7 meals, that adds up to ~2240. I wouldn't reccomend dropping much more than that though for a person your size. Afterall, you want to keep as much muscle as possible.

Also, an ephedra type fat burner might help give you that extra boost. People have had some really good results with them.

Good luck!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Wibble. I was actually considering the Flax, might do some research and see if its for me.
    Thanks, i appreciate it alot.

If I was you, I'd....
    1 drop the apple juice for breakfast
    2 drop the fruit for your early snack
    3 drop the protein bars in exchange for pure protein shake + flax oil at morning and night
    4 worry about dropping your bf% (via cardio) and not about gaining muscle (weight workouts)

If your diet is as strict as you say then you should notice a big difference in your body weight and look after 4-6 weeks...

Do your best to knock out those cheating meals, also I dont see enough carbs in your diet?

How often are you going to the gym?
    3 days of cardio (45-70 min per session) and 2 of full body (HST style) workouts, would be the route of choice I would take

Wannabebig Member
    you're using creatine with a fat burner? if you are that may be your problem.

Wannabebig Member
    whats wrong with creatine and a fat burner?

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    There's nothing wrong with creatine+fat burner.
    Last edited by restless; 05-09-2003 at 12:21 AM.

If the scale doesn't reflect the changes you see on your body then you should start measuring your bodyfat. Because if you went from 218 to 210 that's an 8lb loss, but you may have lost 12lbs of fat and gained 4lbs of muscle at the same time. If you really want to lose fat you have to measure the fat, not just your overall weight.

Wannabebig Member
    ya good idea captn

Wannabebig Member
    By taking creatine you possibly might be reatining a bit more fluid. This could account for a couple of pounds also.