Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are 'spinning' classes?

Wannabebig Member

What are 'spinning' classes?

Hi again,

Has anyone heard of the fitness term 'spinning'? I was reading a local newspaper and a fitness facility ad stated they offer 'spinning' classes. As a cyclist myself I assume you would choose a certain 'gear' on your bike and try to 'spin' at that particular gear ratio for a certain amount of time. Is this more beneficial in a fitness facility or out in the semi fresh air? Also, is it more geared to increasing your cardio or working out the muscles in your legs? Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

Its a high intensity stationary cycle workout.

You follow a leader who takes you through different paces for a certain amount of time. It is different to your conventional cycle because the pedals keep on 'spinning' regardless of whether you want to stop! your in it for the long haul.

The average spinning session burns between 700 and 1000cals!!!

Cant tell you too much more, i was trainined to take a session last year but never had to do it
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...

Wannabebig Member
    Ive not had too many classes but the ones ive had were excellent for physical conditioning

How long do they last?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    I did a lot of Spinning classes while rehabbing a knee injury... my PT highly recommendede it for a low impact but high intensity cardio interval workout. It's done on stationary bikes that are nothing like the ones in the cardio area of your local gym. The Spin bikes are meant to mimic a racing bike and have adjustable resistance as well as adjustable seat position and handlebar position so you can fine tune it to your build/height/etc. They are much more comfortable and feel more like road riding.

The average class lasts about 45 min. and is a combination of different types of acitivity. Low resistance/high rpm sprints, high resistance/low rpm "hills" where you have to stand up and power your way through, and lots of other stuff inbetween. You're never doing the same thing for more than a few minutes at a time, and that keeps it interesting AND makes it a challenge to your body. They usually play good music to motivate/entertain you too.

It's not pure aerobic, because there are a lot of anaerobic segments followed by recovery in the mix. It's definitely a good workout and you can push yourself as hard as you want OR cruise comfortably by choosing the resistance against which you're pedalling, which means that the people taking the classes range from old people to weekend warriors to competitive cyclists trying to stay in shape during the winter months.

Try a class and see if you like it...it goes by fast and it's fun. If you do go, bring a towel and a water bottle! You'll sweat like a pig and you'll need to drink at least one bottle of water

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

I did a few of those classes a while back and copped a hiding big time

one of the people at my gym said that he usually does a few seesions of spinning classes when he tries to get cut-up for summer. he said he recommends them. i think ill either try HIIT or one of the spinning classes when it comes time to cut up a bit.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

TIMIDKAT
    Spining is similiar to fixed gear training, like on a track bike. When I road raced I would sometimes do it preseason. If you are currently a serious cyclist I think that you would benifit more by sticking to your regular training regiment.

Wannabebig Member

What are 'spinning' classes?

Thanks for the input from everybody so far. Currently I ride about 80-100km (3x-4x/week) and vary my rides on a variety of terrain - ie offroad, hills, sprints, touring and easy rides. Whenever I ride I focus on maintaining an effective cadence throughout. I wasn't sure about 'spinning' classes as I felt that part of the workout you get is maintaining balance especially on single track or in heavy traffic. I think riding in heavy traffic gives me a bit of a high that you probably wouldn't experience in a class. I don't really have an off season as I ride in all climate conditions but was curious as to what a spinning workout consists of. Next time I'm pedaling up one of our local ski hills, I'll listen to some tunes to take my mind off my burning thighs!

question?

does spinning make your butt sore?
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Way below radar
    It does if you haven't ridden a bike in a long time...LOL! But it sort of "toughens up" after a bit. Then there are those gel seat covers for the wusses
    Last edited by IceRgrrl; 05-09-2003 at 09:50 AM.

--Robert Frost

hmm..perhaps i should give this spinning thing a try. cardio has been boring me lately.

i don't want a sore butt tho.

okay, here's a spinning question - i talekd to some trainer lady that wa shere at the office building gym yesterdya and mentioned i was gonnas tart psinning...she said"one warning - it will make your legs really big"

my coworker - an avid cycler said the same thing happened when eh was psinning regularly.

i'm having difficulty wrappign my head around this, considering it's cardio activity, and you'd have to be eating over maintenance to gain like that....

can anyone explain?

Way below radar
    Um, yeah...and doing the Stairmaster will make your butt get big I think if you're a competitive cyclist who spends hours per day on the bike and are doing lots of serious hill climbs (heavy resistance) then maybe you'll put on some muscle in your legs, but Spinning classes aren't going to make them bigger. They may get more defined as you lose body fat, but if Spinning give you huge legs, you'd see a lot more body builders in there...

--Robert Frost

The guy that runs the spinning class at my gym has tiny legs. Decent calves but that's it.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

good point.

about the only thing i could come up with is that it would build some muscle with resistance, but hell i squat, so my legs are gonna be pretty big anyways regardless.

Way below radar
    Ignore it and give Spinning a try...it's fun and intense cardio and I think you'd enjoy it. Your legs aren't going to get big from Spinning, that's for sure, unless you some sort of genetic freak who eats a lot and does a helluva lot of other strength training.

Look at Lance Armstrong...he has hella strong legs, and they are very defined, but not tree-trunk massive...

--Robert Frost

thanks....i think i will file this under the "don't do direct abwork because it will make your muscles push the fat out" pile of myths.

my coworker doesn't do any sort of leg strength training so perhaps what he's seeing is definition and "toning up" of his muscles when he does it.
    Last edited by Tryska; 05-22-2003 at 11:08 AM.

Way below radar
    LOL! That list of myths must be pretty freaking hilarious!

Yeah, I think a lot of people confuse "Now I can actually *see* the muscle" (since it's not convered with a layer of lard) with "OMG...I grew a muscle that wasn't there last month!"

Um, okay...so then explain how you've been walking around all these years without any quads? LOL!

--Robert Frost

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Originally posted by Big-Ron
    The average spinning session burns between 700 and 1000cals!!!
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

spinning is absolutley insane and just oh so ssily
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

Come on, Tryska, what's up with them legs? Damn, "big" legs are fine.

Anyway, some of the cyclists I know have the most amazing legs. They're just massive.
    "And if that doesnt work, bend her over, tear off the stretchpants, and go wild on the little slut. When you're done, drop her like a missed rep. When she's regained her senses, complain that she was making too much noise. She will then realize the error of her ways, and give you her number." - Budiak

"I have a girl that i have ride around with me everywhere, just cuz she's a ditz and amuses me. its great." - Ace Dogg

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Originally posted by RG570
    spinning is absolutley insane and just oh so ssily
    Well, your heart will be in good shape
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

so i did the spin class last night, and let me tell you! my legs grew 2 sizes!!

psyche - i'm kidding. They haven't grown at all. to be honest, ask - i don't think there's anything wrong with big legs at all - that's a wierd cardio-bunny hangup, imo.

anyways - that class did kick ass, the time went by pretty quickly, and i really thought i would be the wuss in the group, but thanks to all that conditioning i've had from intervals, i hung in there quite well. it was deifnitely a challenge, and there were itmes when i ahd to take it a bit easier (i'm in recovery from back to back squats and deads so when my legs started to buckle on the standing hill climbs, i sat my ass down). I definitely felt like i worked anaerobically after. By the time i came home i was feeling liek crap and absolutely exhausted. eating my alst meal of the day wasn't fun either. But thats what it usually feels like after an effective interval session for me. I think i will keep doing it, but i'm getting one of those wussy gel seats, cuz my butt did get sore.

Way below radar
    Sweet! I had a feeling you'd like Spinning...it's not boring, that's for sure. Everything changes quickly and it's not just your run-of-the-mill generic cardio.

Either the gel seat or padded cyclign shorts will help with the behind soreness, though after a few classes you'll build up a resistance to it and it won't hurt as much. If you can, find some cycling shorts with no seams on the inside of your legs...that can really make a difference in comfort!

--Robert Frost