Thread: is no rest good or bad?????

Wannabebig Member

is no rest good or bad?????

when me and my dad workout.......we do 3 moderatly heavy sets of 6back to back......like when he gets done i get under it and go....all the way through....and no rest in between except for switchin the weights.......is this good or bad????
    GO BIG OR GO HOME

I don't like it. Causes me to fail out too quickly. By having longer rest periods I am able to lift heavier weights. On compound lifts i rest for 5 minutes between each set and on more isolated exercises I have 2 minutes between sets.

If i'm cutting i'll cut back on rest times to make my workout have more of a cardio effect.

Wannabebig Member
    thats what we are really workin on right now is cutting....... so thats what you would recommend is little rest???
    GO BIG OR GO HOME

if your cutting then I wouldn't have rest times, maybe a few seconds to catch my breath but no more than 20-30 sec.

Lift with rest, whether cutting or bulking. Cardio helps you get cut. Perhaps less weight might be needed but only because you're proly under a caloric defecit when cutting. Do a set, then your dad, then rest, then go again.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

I never rest too long inbetween, enough to catch my breath.
    "And if that doesnt work, bend her over, tear off the stretchpants, and go wild on the little slut. When you're done, drop her like a missed rep. When she's regained her senses, complain that she was making too much noise. She will then realize the error of her ways, and give you her number." - Budiak

"I have a girl that i have ride around with me everywhere, just cuz she's a ditz and amuses me. its great." - Ace Dogg

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    I rest for 1-2 minutes. When I began lifting, I use to rest 5 minutes
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

i'd say rest for 1-2 minutes, unless you are doing a carb depletion. but IMO, i think you would want to be rested enough so you can keep up a good intensity while your lifting.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Believe me you can keep a good intensity from extremely short rest times. I lost 60lbs doing so last summer without cardio only resistance training.

Originally posted by RoidRage
    Believe me you can keep a good intensity from extremely short rest times. I lost 60lbs doing so last summer without cardio only resistance training.
    My trainer agrees with you but it takes me little longer to catch my breath and psych myself up for the next lift especially if it's a big compound lift.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%
    pipe dream goal 175 lbs @ 10% bf
    making the switch to power lifting

I rest about 3-5 minutes for compound lifts and around 2-3 for others.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock