The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Frustrated

Frustrated

I've been reading the site on and off for a while, and felt the need to post out of frustration, so pardon if I babble...

Quick history of me...
    6/2000 I weighed about 295lbs (5ft 10)
    I decided I needed to change, I didn't want to go another birthday looking the way I did. Over the next year I lost over 100lbs and 6/2001 I weighed between 185-190lbs. (Just to note, I followed the EAS Body For Life plan).
    I was starting to feel better about myself, but I knew that I had a long way to go for some muscle.

I know it's my own fault, but due to stress with the circumstances of life (read: differences in relationship), Over the next 2 years I put back on a lot of weight (I'm about 215-220 today). No matter what I try, I just cant seem to get the ball rolling again.

I used to feel satasfaction out of a workout (even though, I knew I really wasn't strong, but deep down inside I felt like I made some form of progress). Anyway. No matter what I do, I feel like I can't make any strides (especially in strength). I'm frustrated because I am so weak (I dont care that I can't lift like Flex Wheeler, I understand my natural limits, but I can barely put up 2 60lb db's on a flat bench press, can't do any pullups, barely any pushups).

I'm comfortable doing cardio (weather it's 20-30 mins of running on a treadmill or 2 to 3 miles joggin/running around the neighborhood). But I get frustrated because I feel like I'm making no progress. (Maybe I need to increase the amount/intensity of cardio and do it less days(Maybe calm down the worn out factor))

I feel guilty if I go a morning without running. I feel guilty if I put salad dressing on something(I use Ken's Light Ceaser on my George Foreman cooked grilled chicken) (I only use fat free/low fat dressing, in low moderation). Lately I *always* feel full, as if I'm too fat for my skin. I could eat a chicken breast and a half cup of brown rice and feel it. I don't eat anything fried, I don't drink soda, rarely drink beer (moderate other alchohol only on weekends, and not every weekend). Nearly never eat sweets. (I gave up all that stuff when I went all out in 6/2000)

I've been making a hard effort to get enough sleep (I used to live on 4 to 6 hours a night), but I've been forcing myself to goto bed no later than 11pm (and I'll get up between 5:30 and 7:30 depending on which office I have to go to).

A typical day of eating is the following:

1. Eggbeaters/oatmeal or MetRX bar
    2. Myoplex
    3. Grilled Chicken w/Veg or Wendy's grilled chicken sandwich or Salad
    4. Myoplex
    5. Chicken/Rice, Chicken/Pasta (no red sauce, no cheese, etc), Salmon/rice, Steak/Rice, Any other chopmeat dish (meatloaf/burger), only using 93% lean.
    6. (sometimes) Myoplex

That's an average day, I get my water in as best as I can, sometimes I will wind up skipping a meal (sometimes I'm too busy at work to stop, etc).

I can post a typical training week later, but I've babbled enough for now, but it's pretty much Chest/Shoulders&Tris/Back&Bis/Legs Abs done when I have time on lifting days and depending on the day I'll either go back to back 2 days in a row, or a day off between.

Anyway, thanks for reading my babble. I'm sure I've forgotten something. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by janzik; 05-08-2003 at 12:10 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i think you obviously have a very good handle on the things you can control in ur life: diet, activity, sleep. that is by far more than most people i know. each of us deals with ups and downs; that's normal. if you made such great strides in improvement before following this, do u just FEEL that you aren't or do you KNOW that you aren't? have u taken periodic pictures over several months? gotten a bodyfat test? recorded measurements and lifts? i have been working with a friend over the past 8 months - and lately she has stagnated at a certain weight and it is making her sad. she took pics the other weekend and was SHOCKED to see the difference 8 wks made - which helped perk her up again. the scale is a very vicious mind game and should probably be the LAST resort of accomplishment in the gym.

if you are truly feeling stagnant, it's time to start being more technical about your diet and training. changing ur routine every other month is a start. i would probably swap one of the myoplex drinks for a real meal and definitely add healthy fats in there. i have seen major metabolic differences occur basically overnight with myself and others by adding fats when they were previously deficient. do a search on "EFA" and read around here for some info.

keep your chin up and remember the goal!
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

first off, congratulations on the weight loss!

as for the training, maybe you are over-training? have you ever thought about just taking a week off or somthing? yanno, enjoy life a bit! have some fun
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

I agree that I need to be more techincal (or anal) about everything. I think it's frustrating to me to not see progress right away. (I think the fat thing is more frustrating than the strength thing. It's like I "had it" a year or so ago, and I gave it away) I would take pictures every now and then (less than a handful of times), but it would become too depressing. I can say I "know" I'm not making stides based on my weight staying around 215-220 for the last few months, last summer I was about 200-205, clothes not fitting any better). No noticiable strength improvements (hell, not even the slightest indication). I'm sure I'm training wrong (I think it's also because I've tried so many different things my head is all scrambled with information, and don't know what to do when/where anymore).

i don't think its ur training (since you are consistent) - i would lean towards ur diet. do you know what your daily cals are? or the ratio of fat/protein/carbs? this is useful when getting a better handle on your eating.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

I should probably watch this more, but let me think about it right here...

Just adding a typical day in my head, I'd guess the following

190-230g protein
    160-180g carb
    Fat, I'm not sure.

Just scanning through the forums (And I'll have to look again), but, I seen someone say cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning is a no no? BFL reccomended it, What would benefit me before running in the morning?

Also for lifting, I'll usually eat 2 chicken breasts and a half a cup to a cup of rice post work out. Is that ok? And what and how long before should I eat before a work out?

My goal is to of course gain strength, but I think that the fat loss is more important (Would you rather be fat and gain some strength or lean and gain less strength? I think for me, I am tired of being this heavy (heavy in not a good way that is.. dont get me wrong. I'd love to be 220 and a brick poop house, but lets not put the horse before the carriage.)

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Dude, be patient. It seems you're on the right track, and eventually the fat will go away.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....