The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

working out arms only

hy guys right now iam concentrated on my arms only . i know its stupid but thats what i want to do. if i consistently work on my arms only would they grow faster than if i worked out my whole body. How long does it take to gain an inch or two on my arms . i weigh 185 at 5-10 . do i need to gain more weight for my arms to be 15 or 16 inches or is that a normal size for someone my weight . i know these questions are stupid but iam pretty new at this

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    you = bad idea period.
    w00t

Working your entire body will help you grow size all over over, including arms. By working the whole body you will grow more in arms size then by training arms alone. This is because you will gain more size overall, your body will release more growth hormones and a bunch of fun other stuff. Second, if you aren't balanced physically, you look pretty damn dumb. I mean it. Look at all the athletes you admire and you'll notice they have more then just big arms. Sure, they have big arms, but they don't have just that.

That, and people in the gym won't laugh at you for being a curl junkie.

On a side note, I do very little direct arm work. I let doing push (chest) and pull (back) exercises take care of that and just do very little finishing work at the end. And I've never had any complaints about my arms.
    Last edited by Nights; 05-08-2003 at 09:19 PM.
    LaLa

I really think that only training arms is a stupid idea. I think it will easier to plateau if you just work on your arms. If you bulk and work on your arms intensity you might make some fast gains, but the gains will quickly fade. Getting bigger overall will ensure growth in the arms. Why wouldn't you want to be bigger overall? Being larger is more impressive then just having big arms. If i see somebody with big arms and a puny body I would think that kid is a curl fvcker who makes my time in the gym harder.
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

One of my favorite quotes is by Paul, paraphrased,
    You know where you see big arms? On Big guy.
    Also I am guessing you don't realize the time it takes to change your body. 1" will take 1-2 years.

Wannabebig Member
    yea you guys are right . the problem is i cant get to the gym. How many sets for arms and other bodyparts

Originally posted by bobomonkey
    yea you guys are right . the problem is i cant get to the gym. How many sets for arms and other bodyparts
    How are you going to work arms in the first place if you can't get to the gym? You need to be doing more compound lifts than anything else for your arms to grow, and what everyone else said.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

BS. Everyone can get to a gym. Anyone who says otherwise is either making excuses, or doesn't have the drive to go in the first place.

Don't worry, no one will laugh at you -- unless you work just your arms.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    It would be beneficial to work every body part...
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Originally posted by Brandon7775643
    BS. Everyone can get to a gym.
    You really don't know what your talking about. I live 30 minutes from a gym, that makes it very difficult. For a HS without a car impossible. Not everybody lives in town, not every town has a gym.

Wannabebig Member
    thankyou berserker . I can work arms because i have dumbells and tricep bar. the thing is i dont have a car right now so it makes harder to get to the gym. iam sure if i could it would be one day a week max.

Re: working out arms only

Originally posted by bobomonkey
    i know its stupid but thats what i want to do.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

I still think with what you had you could atleast do back. Also you should be able to find something to do chins around the house. I have a piece of rebar of the ceiling joyce in my garage. All you need is a piece off pipe or even a branch.
    I really suggest looking into training more then jsut arms. Train once a week at a gym and at home.
    Also like I said I can't help but wonder if your expecting some quick tranformation. I was serious when I said 1" is gonna take 1-2 years.

Originally posted by Berserker

You really don't know what your talking about. I live 30 minutes from a gym, that makes it very difficult. For a HS without a car impossible. Not everybody lives in town, not every town has a gym.
    Back when I was in high school, it had a gym I could work out in. A local college let you use their gym if you signed up for a not-for-credit community course. My friend down the street had an awesome home gym that he would let me use. Pay someone's gas fees and carpool with them -- certainly someone in every town or not-town works out.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about -- but my feeling is that if you really want to go, you can find a way. It's just a matter of how much you're willing to sacrifice to get there. Some people have to moreso than others.

And yes, I concede that there do exist people, especially younger people, that might find getting to a gym insurmountable. But certainly you'll concede that a lot of people stop looking and trying well short of an "insurmountable" obstacle.

My point was that in rural areas things are differant. For me an hour drive is a bit much. I do have other responsibilities in my life.

In rural areas you can bench press cows and stuff. Start with the little baby ones and work your way up. Also, chickens make rather fine dumbbells.
    LaLa

Mmm.. weights you can eat afterwards. It doesn't get any better than that.

Overtrainer.
    Pump em hard man. My first 5-6 weight sessions involved a bench press and a barbell and nothing more.

Wannabebig Member
    I have a power rack that allows for all the bench presses, squats, and has a lat tower. It cost under $300 at Academy. The bar was another $30. And 200 lbs of weights to get started was somewhere around $100.

I've added things here and there like dumbbells as my flies have gotten stronger, more weights of course, an EZ bar, and a combo Ab/Dip/Pullup bar stand from Academy for $80.

And considering I didn't check the classified ads anywhere, Ebay, or pawn shops, I probably paid too much.

If you've got a birthday coming up and you still like your parents and they like you...you know what you need to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by Berserker

That's what a bike is for. There's your cardio right there.

Even without a gym, there is still a lot you can do. Like pressing handstands, chins on trees, pushups, situps, burpees. If you have some free weights at home, all the more variety can be added. One does have to get a little creative though.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Heh, St. Nick, that weight room looks sort of like mine
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

I think it's a really stupid idea to workout just your arms, though I disagree with Nights for saying that you'll have bigger gains in your arms by working your whole body. If you really just wanted to get big arms it would probably be easier to do if you just worked your arms (still, I think it's a stupid idea).

Because you seem like you aren't going to do anything else, here's the routine I would do:

Bicep Warm-Up (1-2 sets of light weight)
    Normal Curls - 2 x 2-6
    Hammer Curls - 2 x 6-8
    Reverse Curls (Better with a BB imo) - 3 x 8-12
    Normal Curls - 1 x ~20 (Super failure, flex while you do each curl)

Tricep Warm-Up (1-2 sets of light weight)
    Close grip bench (just put the DBs close together) - 3 x 4-6
    Tricep Extensions/Lying Triceps Extensions - 3 x 10-12
    Dips 2 x as many as possible

Lateral Warm-Up (1 Set of Light Weight)
    Side Laterals - 2 x 8-12
    Front Raises - 2 x 8-12
    Wrist Curls - 3 x 8-12

Do that 2-3x a week and your arms should get pretty big. I would expect more than 2 inches in a year...I've gained about 1.5" in 6 months without too much concentration on my arms. I think if I tried to I could gain about 3.5" on my arms in a year.

If you do it 2x a week then you can add Negatives for Normal Curls and Close-Grip after your first set or two, once a week.

If you do it 3x a week, then you should probably go a little lighter/higher reps 1 or two times, and then heavy and to failure one time.

Preacher curls would be nice to add in, but I doubt you have a preacher curl rack. Also, after about 4 months max, you're gonna have to change up your routine or you'll plateau. Maybe by that time you'll have enough money saved up to buy enough equipment to workout your whole body.

Once again, it would be a much better idea for you to do a whole body exercise, but I don't think you will.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 05-10-2003 at 11:13 AM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by Bizatch
    I think it's a really stupid idea to workout just your arms, though I disagree with Nights for saying that you'll have bigger gains in your arms by working your whole body. If you really just wanted to get big arms it would probably be easier to do if you just worked your arms (still, I think it's a stupid idea).

Because you seem like you aren't going to do anything else, here's the routine I would do:

Bicep Warm-Up (1-2 sets of light weight)
    Normal Curls - 2 x 2-6
    Hammer Curls - 2 x 6-8
    Reverse Curls (Better with a BB imo) - 3 x 8-12
    Normal Curls - 1 x ~20 (Super failure, flex while you do each curl)

Tricep Warm-Up (1-2 sets of light weight)
    Close grip bench (just put the DBs close together) - 3 x 4-6
    Tricep Extensions/Lying Triceps Extensions - 3 x 10-12
    Dips 2 x as many as possible

Lateral Warm-Up (1 Set of Light Weight)
    Side Laterals - 2 x 8-12
    Front Raises - 2 x 8-12
    Wrist Curls - 3 x 8-12

Do that 2-3x a week and your arms should get pretty big. I would expect more than 2 inches in a year...I've gained about 1.5" in 6 months without too much concentration on my arms. I think if I tried to I could gain about 3.5" on my arms in a year.

Once again, it would be a much better idea for you to do a whole body exercise, but I don't think you will.

Actually you will get bigger arms faster by working your whole body. You don't see 20 inch arms on 150 lbs guys. The body will only allow a certain amount of growth in one bodypart, if the others are not being worked. Working the whole body stimulates a greater anabolic response than working the arms alone, thus stimulating greater growth
    I think that routine is too much volume. 16 sets for arms? 3 times a week? If you can grow on that, fine. But the vast majority of people would likely overtrain on that, and quickly.

You are probably right, though I doubt 2x a week would be too much volume.

When I first started lifting I did really high volume and responded well, though (granted as a beginner I guess anything is supposed to work). Still, I think I probably inherited good genetics, since my dad was benching 325 in HS.

But maybe he could do:

Day I: Arms
    Day II: Rows/Squats
    Day III: Bench
    Day IV: Rest
    Day V: Rest
    Day VI: Arms
    Day VII: Rest

..if he just wanted big arms...this is assuming you guys are right about the growth hormones, which I'm guessing is exaggerated.

Unless your pretty scawny I can't see puttin gon 3.5" on in a year. I am surprised with 1.5" in six months.

One thing people have to remember is people have differant goals. Not everyone is looking to get big. Some people just want to look decent. Cardio and upper body will do that for you. They will probably never advance far enough to notice the size differance.
    Also its a place for them to start. Next year they may get into it enough to decide to do more.
    I think you should do the whole body, I do, but people have differant goals. If your just trying to get laid, upper body is noticed more, unless you have real bad chicken legs.