The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    A Fortnight Dead

Transitioning from cut to bulk; and technical/theoretical bulking

I've just finished a four week cut, with excellent results -- I'm now precisely at the weight and BF% I hoped -- and so I'm wondering how best to transition from cutting to bulking. Should I set my caloric intake to maintenance levels for a week? Or should I simply jump into the bulk proper? (If it's relevant: I just finished my last refeed today).

On a more theoretical level, I was wondering how the long-sought "perfect bulk" might look. Assuming, for the sake of argument, an ideal training/rest regimen, what would be the best way, in theory, to bulk cleanly? It seems to me that, with our (possibly rudimentary) knowledge of both the anabolic and catabolic processes -- e.g., how best to diet while minimizing muscle loss -- we should be able to construct a diet that would minimize fat gain while maximizing muscle gain. I'm hoping here that the discussion gets quite technical -- that some of the local gurus might chime in. I recall that ST once mentioned that it is possible, in theory, to gain muscle while losing fat; I'm interested to see how one might go about doing so. And while I realize that this goal is likely impossible to meet in practice, I'd love to hear what others here have to say.

And, yes, let's assume a natural trainer.
    Last edited by _-_v_-_; 05-09-2003 at 07:44 PM.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: Transitioning from cut to bulk; and technical/theoretical bulking

Originally posted by _-_v_-_
    Should I set my caloric intake to maintenance levels for a week? Or should I simply jump into the bulk proper? (If it's relevant: I just finished my last refeed today).
    i would just slowly up your cals back to your maintenace level, you dont want to all of a sudden shock your body by eating a bunch more cals. then normal. odds are if you'd do that, i'd tend to think some of it would be stored as fat.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

A Fortnight Dead
    I would imagine that would occur only if my metabolism has slowed appreciably -- it was my understanding that the purpose of refeeding was to prevent / mitigate that eventuality.
    "human kind/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Yup, smaller meals more often.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

I would just like to re-hash the age old sage advice and say: eat as much food as you can physically handle for as long as you can stand to look at yourself. just set your macros as a general guideline and go to town. go to teh grocery store, say "im going to spend at least a hundred dollars, and im going to eat all the food i buy today within 5 days." common sence dictates what should and shjould not be part of a clean bulk. eggs, tuna, oats, lean beef, potatos, chicken breast, soy, and cats are essentially all i eat. stay away from mega sodium and cholesterol, and fat is not the enemy. I also try and get a few hundred extra grams of carbs ontraining days.
    Last edited by RG570; 05-10-2003 at 12:32 AM.
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Originally posted by RG570
    stay away from mega sodium and cholesterol
    I agress with the sodium statement, but I don't cholesterol has much affect on your LDL. I would just stay away from the trans and hydrogenated fats.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Re: Transitioning from cut to bulk; and technical/theoretical bulking

On a more theoretical level, I was wondering how the long-sought "perfect bulk" might look. Assuming, for the sake of argument, an ideal training/rest regimen, what would be the best way, in theory, to bulk cleanly? It seems to me that, with our (possibly rudimentary) knowledge of both the anabolic and catabolic processes -- e.g., how best to diet while minimizing muscle loss -- we should be able to construct a diet that would minimize fat gain while maximizing muscle gain. I'm hoping here that the discussion gets quite technical -- that some of the local gurus might chime in. I recall that ST once mentioned that it is possible, in theory, to gain muscle while losing fat; I'm interested to see how one might go about doing so. And while I realize that this goal is likely impossible to meet in practice, I'd love to hear what others here have to say.
    If you are a "natural trainer", you are unlikely to gain more than about 1lb of muscle per week. To maximize your potential muscle gains, you should set calories such that your body weight increases by about 1lb per week. If you are concerned about gaining fat, then you might want to increase weight slower. At 1/2 lb per week, you are likely to gain less fat. You may even lose fat while gaining muscle.

Losing fat while gaining muscle is very practical for some persons. This effect is very common in studies involving overweight, untrained persons. I expect that if the average american started weightlifting and made no changes in their diet, they would gain muscle and lose fat. It becomes less common for persons who are closer to their natural set point, and have to struggle to gain muscle or lose fat. Nevertheless, it does occur. I have done this and several journal entires indicate other persons gaining muscle while cutting or losing fat while bulking.

Some things that encourage a successful bulk with minimal fat gain or fat loss are:

1. Eat such that you gain less than 1lb per week.
    2. Eat many small meals spread throughout the day
    3. Consume adequate amouts of protein spread throughout the day (1g/lb is usually more than adequate)
    4. Consume adequate amounts of carb to fuel your workouts and for recovery
    5. Do cardio (both traditional and HIIT). Cardio reduces body fat more than calorie in/calorie out formulas would suggest. If cardio is done in the desired manner, it should not significantly interfere with your muscle gains.

I think that the key to gaining muscle while losing fat is doing a combination of cardio & lifting while eating near maintenance calories. Note that persons have different set points for fat loss, muscle gain, and overtraining. If a person has reached a point where it is difficult to gain muscle or lose fat, as many trained persons have, then it will probably be very difficult to do both activities at the same time.

Special diets with macronutrient or calorie cycling all may have an effect, but I think this effect is less significant than what is listed above.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-10-2003 at 08:56 AM.

A Fortnight Dead
    Thanks, all.

RG and Ironman:

I think you may have misinterpreted my post. I'm aware of the ins-and-outs of traditional bulking methods; I've already completed one effective slow-bulking cycle. My question was instead more hypothetical in nature -- more of a thought experiment, you might say.

AKA:

Thanks. That's basically the process I used on my last bulking cycle -- though it was relatively slow, it made cutting much easier.

I'm particularly interested in the hypothetical manipulation of the metabolic processes involved in muscle gain and fat loss. If my understanding is correct, the two are seperate processes; would it then be possible, if only in theory, to construct a diet which is the opposite of, say, how ST is currently cutting -- in other words, since ST has mentioned that he has cut on a relatively high-calorie diet with little muscle loss using just this sort of metabolic manipulation, would it be possible to do apply similar methods to bulking?
    Last edited by _-_v_-_; 05-10-2003 at 09:16 AM.
    "human kind/

-Jouvenal

-Paul Stagg

http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?act=ST&f=25&t=3497

might wanna give that a read, just for some insight on the topic.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Manveet
    http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?act=ST&f=25&t=3497

might wanna give that a read, just for some insight on the topic.
    Going backwards in time towards a low fat diet again?

I'm particularly interested in the hypothetical manipulation of the metabolic processes involved in muscle gain and fat loss. If my understanding is correct, the two are seperate processes; would it then be possible, if only in theory, to construct a diet which is the opposite of, say, how ST is currently cutting -- in other words, since ST has mentioned that he has cut on a relatively high-calorie diet with little muscle loss using just this sort of metabolic manipulation, would it be possible to do apply similar methods to bulking?
    As far as adding to what aka23 said I really am unclear as to what you are trying to do. Gaining at a very slow rate and keeping a constant eye on calories and how your body is responding would probably be the best approach at performing an "ideal" bulk. Another contributing factor that comes to mindis how close are you are to your natural setpoint.

I've just finished a four week cut, with excellent results -- I'm now precisely at the weight and BF% I hoped -- and so I'm wondering how best to transition from cutting to bulking. Should I set my caloric intake to maintenance levels for a week? Or should I simply jump into the bulk proper? (If it's relevant: I just finished my last refeed today).
    I would go back to maintenance cals for a week and then start slowly adding cals each week.

Wannabebig Member
    I can't really add very much to what aka and bradley have already mentioned. I don't have much experience bulking cleanly unfortunately.

A lot of what aka mentioned seems to relate pretty closely to finding ways to positively influence nutrient partitioning, specifically with respect to optimal resistance training and increased activity level/cardio.

Along with the idea of staying around maintenance kcals, it might be of benefit to run shorter bulking cycles with appropriately timed short cutting cycles to get rid of excess fat. I believe that as your bodyfat increases there is some evidence to suggest that it becomes easier to put on fat and harder to continue to build muscle. Staying at a lower bodyfat might be a way around this.

Originally posted by Scythian_Blade
    I believe that as your bodyfat increases there is some evidence to suggest that it becomes easier to put on fat and harder to continue to build muscle. Staying at a lower bodyfat might be a way around this.
    One thing that I am unsure about is how your natural setpoint would play into this.

Originally posted by restless

Going backwards in time towards a low fat diet again?
    It's not the diet I personally would reccomend, nor do I do myself. Nonetheless I thought it was interesting

oh and....

"It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by bradley

One thing that I am unsure about is how your natural setpoint would play into this.
    I am not sure either. I also wonder if it is possible to change your natural setpoint (by remaining at a bodyfat level significantly below the old setpoint for an extended period of time for instance). Maybe this would also alter hormonal status to some extent. Many think you can change setpoint. If so, maybe a week or two at maintenence might not be quite enough to transition into a bulk from cutting.

Also, I have been trying to think of a good way to introduce the concept that an 'ideal bulk' might be closely correlated with body type. Bodytype/genetics clearly play a role in determining setpoint/leptin expression.

The idea of running a ketogenic or near ketogenic bulk has been thrown around a lot over at bbing.com and a little at anabolic minds. One line of reasoning goes that, such a scheme might be better at avoiding fat gain for someone older/more endomorphic because of differences in hormone levels (Testosterone) normally associated with aging.

I have seen it noted several times that for max anabolic effects, you need to have high insulin and high levels of IGF-1. I am not sure how that is best incorporated into the discusssion either.

Manveet, thanks for the link. The two page discussion following the diet presented is quite interesting. I would like to see Rob field some questions about it like he said he might. I too am leary about the low fat approach.

There are a couple of other threads over at avant dealing with the ideal bulk. I'll see if I can dig 'em up.

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, I found a couple of threads. I recalled Par Deus having some basic recommendations on this issue.

Here is a direct quote by Par Deus answering a random thread:
    "Assuming aesthetic issues are of no concern, it would be ideal to both bulk and cut at a bodyfat level near your setpoint (which would necessitate fairly short cycles of each (2-3 weeks), because leptin will be high, so anabolic hormones and fat oxidation will both be relatively high. Get too fat and you may run into leptin resistence as well as an increase in aromatase activity. Get too thin and you will move toward protein oxidation rather than fat oxidation and protein storage/retention. "

Makes a lot of sense to me.

And a thread on optimal mass diet
    http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=1165

And a study on the influence of initial fat mass
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

One other thing I came across...in terms of fat it might be wise to moderate excess intake of omega 6 fatty acids and keep sat. fat moderate (to take advantage of potential testosterone boosting effects while minimizing its detrimental effects on insulin sensitivity). And finally, use plenty of n-3 PUFA's (fish oil for example) to enhance nutrient partitioning effects and hence increase insulin sensitivity.

All in all it seems that this post by Par Deus (from the above posted thread) is on the money as far as the articles and previous posts that I have read:

Get adequate protein (around 1g/pound, unless you are using androgen, then increase by 50-100%, depending on dose).

Minimize saturated fats -- will get all you need from lean red meat.

Minimize omega-6 fats -- will get all you need from food.

1-3 tbsp flax oil/day + 6-12g of fish oil.

Keep fructose < 100 grams/day

The rest is carbohydrates, as this is what increases insulin and leptin, which is what makes mass phases work. Go at least high enough to get you to 20 calories per lb of bw. Probably will have no need to go higher than 30 cal/lb
    Although I do not agree with the amount of cals he recommends. I recommend taking a more moderate approach, and by that I mean increase cals slowly over a longer period of time.