Thread: Transitioning from cut to bulk; and technical/theoretical bulking

Threaded View

A Fortnight Dead

Transitioning from cut to bulk; and technical/theoretical bulking

I've just finished a four week cut, with excellent results -- I'm now precisely at the weight and BF% I hoped -- and so I'm wondering how best to transition from cutting to bulking. Should I set my caloric intake to maintenance levels for a week? Or should I simply jump into the bulk proper? (If it's relevant: I just finished my last refeed today).

On a more theoretical level, I was wondering how the long-sought "perfect bulk" might look. Assuming, for the sake of argument, an ideal training/rest regimen, what would be the best way, in theory, to bulk cleanly? It seems to me that, with our (possibly rudimentary) knowledge of both the anabolic and catabolic processes -- e.g., how best to diet while minimizing muscle loss -- we should be able to construct a diet that would minimize fat gain while maximizing muscle gain. I'm hoping here that the discussion gets quite technical -- that some of the local gurus might chime in. I recall that ST once mentioned that it is possible, in theory, to gain muscle while losing fat; I'm interested to see how one might go about doing so. And while I realize that this goal is likely impossible to meet in practice, I'd love to hear what others here have to say.

And, yes, let's assume a natural trainer.
    Last edited by _-_v_-_; 05-09-2003 at 07:44 PM.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg