The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

cutting anyone???

well today i bought some eggs, now with omega 3 and 6.. wow first time seeing that

but anyhow lets get to the point shall we..

for cutting its low carbs low fat right??

and is carbs sugar??

and whats gi carbs???

what do you look at when shopping..
    i mean on the labels
    for ex:
    if im cutting i would look for things with low fat on the lable right??
    is 28g of carbs considered high??

height 6'4
    weight 270lbs
    currently trying to lose weight
    goal: musculer 240lbs would be nice

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: cutting anyone???

Originally posted by NO2
    well today i bought some eggs, now with omega 3 and 6.. wow first time seeing that

but anyhow lets get to the point shall we..

and is carbs sugar??

and whats gi carbs???

i mean on the labels
    for ex:

if you're going for low carbs, up your HEALTHY fat intake(cut out saturated fats, EWWW!!!) and protein intake should be the highest % of your daily Calories.

carbs are basically sugar, but carbs can also have fiber(which is good for anyone, especially good for a cut/bulk, because you need to be able to absorb all your nutrients)

gi = glycemic index, if you use the search you can find posts that will explain it better with a lot of helpful links as well, but you should be getting most of you carbs from low gi sources except for post workout (which may be debatable for a cut)

on labels when I'm shopping, I look at how many calories it has, the serving size, the fats(monounsaturated/polyunsaturated/ Saturated is EVIL), carbs for dietary fiber and sugar content, protein, and vitamins/minerals. Also watch out for any Partially Hydrogenated ingredients because they are high in trans fatty acids - which are bad.....

I consider 28 g of carbs to be high for one food, but it really depends on the serving size, ratio of the other macronutrients, and calories. also, the 28 g of carbs is coming from sugar or what?
    Last edited by SoulOfKoRea; 05-10-2003 at 06:39 PM.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

ugh, where do I start........

Cutting doesn't have to be low-carb or low-fat.

All carbs are broken down into sugar when you digest them. The higher the GI rating, the quicker they get broken down.

High GI: Dextrose, white bread, potatoes

Low GI: Oats, Whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes.

For cutting, just make sure you're getting enough protein and you're eating less than maintenance calories.

Your weight in your sig says 237, shoot for 2800 cals/day.
    Last edited by Saint Patrick; 05-10-2003 at 06:38 PM.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar

Re: Re: cutting anyone???

Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
    (cut out saturated fats, EWWW!!!)
    Saturated fat isn't as dangerous trans and hydrogenated fats. Here is a good article on the different types of fat.

Here
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Re: cutting anyone???

Originally posted by NO2

Well not exactly. You need to make sure you get adequate protein which would be approximately 1g per lb. of bodyweight. Then also make sure that you are getting adequate amounts healthy fats (EFA's) in your diet. I would recommend 25-30% of your daily cals coming from fat. Then the rest of your calories can be made up of low GI carbs, or some other macronutrient. Really isn' that important as long as you are under maintenance cals.

and is carbs sugar??
    Yes, all carbs will eventually be broken down into sugar before they can be used by the body. Although some carbs take longer than others to be broken down and this is where the GI index can come into play.

and whats gi carbs???
    http://www.glycemicindex.com/gi_info.htm

i mean on the labels
    The main things I look at are calories, fat (whether the majority of the fat is saturated or unsaturated), carbs (how many of the carbs come from sugar), and protein.

for ex:
    You need to just factor in the amount of each macronutrient into your overall total for the day. I wouldn't really try and make every single food I eat for the day fit into some specified range of fat and calories. Look more at the overall intake for the day. A site like www.fitday.com is helpful for this purpose.

Originally posted by Saint Patrick
    Your weight in your sig says 237, shoot for 2800 cals/day.
    I am assuming that you went with the bw*12 for this calculation. Although this might be a good starting point calories might have to be adjusted up or down according to how much he loses each week. If after a week you find that you are not losing weight then I would recommend reducing cals by another 200 or so and see what kind of results you get. I would shoot to lose about a pound per week.

I am just saying that it is not as cut and dry as saying eat this amount to lose weight.

thanx a ton bradley
    height 6'4
    weight 270lbs
    currently trying to lose weight
    goal: musculer 240lbs would be nice

Originally posted by bradley

I am assuming that you went with the bw*12 for this calculation. Although this might be a good starting point calories might have to be adjusted up or down according to how much he loses each week. If after a week you find that you are not losing weight then I would recommend reducing cals by another 200 or so and see what kind of results you get. I would shoot to lose about a pound per week.

I am just saying that it is not as cut and dry as saying eat this amount to lose weight.
    :withstupi

What he said.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee