The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    65

    Overfeeding questions

    Let me give you a bit of background before I ask my questions:
    I'm currently dieting but I sorta went on a mild overfeeding (i.e. cheat) last evening when I was out. Now everyone here is knows all about carb refeeds to upregulate leptin levels, but I basically overfed on about ~ 1500 cals of mostly protein and fat with only some mix drinks as carbs. This estimated intake brings up my total calorie intake to around 3500, which is a little less then some of my past bulks.

    In any case, here are my questions:

    1) This is what I remember from reading some refeed articles, but it's true that a protein and fat overfeed will do little to help leptin levels right?

    2) Normally when you overfeed on carbs there is always the water bloat the next day but does this happen with lots of protein and carbs? Because I woke up about 5 pounds heavier...

    3) I usually take my bodyfat measurements every other Sunday morning to track my progress (7 site). I'm hoping there was some water bloat (#2) and that's why my skinfolds are slightly higher? What do you think?

    Bad timing on my part to do this cheat the day before I do my bimonthly bodyfat check... tuttut In any case thanks ahead of time for answering my questions.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    confused by simplicity bradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,470

    Re: Overfeeding questions

    Originally posted by ChuckieT
    Let me give you a bit of background before I ask my questions:
    I'm currently dieting but I sorta went on a mild overfeeding (i.e. cheat) last evening when I was out. Now everyone here is knows all about carb refeeds to upregulate leptin levels, but I basically overfed on about ~ 1500 cals of mostly protein and fat with only some mix drinks as carbs. This estimated intake brings up my total calorie intake to around 3500, which is a little less then some of my past bulks.

    In any case, here are my questions:

    1) This is what I remember from reading some refeed articles, but it's true that a protein and fat overfeed will do little to help leptin levels right?
    Well as long as you have more calories going into the fat cell your leptin production will increase. The reason that carbs are used is because they will not cause as much fat gain as say fat would. You wouldn't want to normally overfeed on fat and carbs because that would just add too much bf as compared to eating carbs alone. You want a little spillover into the fat cells but not a tremendous amount. This is from the leptin article on the ministry of fitness website(http://www.theministryoffitness.com/.../article18.htm)

    Researchers have identified a system that 'senses' nutrient flux (flux = what's going in versus what's going out) through both fat and muscle cells. This affects a lot of process. When dieting, more calories are leaving the fat cell than are going in (negative flux). This nutrient sensing system 'senses' this and affects many processes, one of which is leptin production (decreasing leptin production).

    So leptin drops.

    When overfeeding, more calories are entering the fat cells than are leaving (positive flux). The system 'senses' this and affects many processes, one of which is leptin production (increasing leptin production).

    So leptin increases.
    Another post that might be of help:http://groups.google.com/groups?q=re...DED.net&rnum=4

    2) Normally when you overfeed on carbs there is always the water bloat the next day but does this happen with lots of protein and carbs? Because I woke up about 5 pounds heavier...
    Well I would think so seeing you still ate a large amount of carbs. Adding protein into the mix wouldn't change the carbs being stored as glycogen.

    3) I usually take my bodyfat measurements every other Sunday morning to track my progress (7 site). I'm hoping there was some water bloat (#2) and that's why my skinfolds are slightly higher? What do you think?
    Probaly the added muscle glycogen along with some water retention would be the cause of the weight gain and higher skinfold measurements. Probably nothing to really worry about especially since it was only 3500 cals total for the day
    Last edited by bradley; 05-11-2003 at 11:12 AM.

  4. #3
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    65
    Oops I just noticed a typo of mine for the second question:
    Normally when you overfeed on carbs there is always the water bloat the next day but does this happen with lots of protein and carbs? Because I woke up about 5 pounds heavier...

    What I meant to say is this:
    Normally when you overfeed on carbs there is always the water bloat the next day but does this happen with lots of protein and fat? Because I woke up about 5 pounds heavier...

    In reality last evening I didn't have that much in terms of carbs, it was just a lot of meat n' cheese.

  5. #4
    the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Palmdale, C.A
    Posts
    2,572
    Fat and protein digest the slowest. So, that could also make you bloated.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

  6. #5
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    65
    That's true, that probably explains it. Thanks guys.

  7. #6
    confused by simplicity bradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,470
    Originally posted by ChuckieT
    What I meant to say is this:
    Normally when you overfeed on carbs there is always the water bloat the next day but does this happen with lots of protein and fat? Because I woke up about 5 pounds heavier...

    In reality last evening I didn't have that much in terms of carbs, it was just a lot of meat n' cheese.
    Could be due to the large amount of sodium that you took in last night. Cheese has high amounts of sodium and meat can also have large amounts especially if you were eating out.

  8. #7
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    65
    And just out of curiosity if I overfed on protein and fat with minimal sodium would the same kind of water bloat still occur?

  9. #8
    confused by simplicity bradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    5,470
    Originally posted by ChuckieT
    And just out of curiosity if I overfed on protein and fat with minimal sodium would the same kind of water bloat still occur?
    I wouldn't think that excess protein or fat intake would cause any subcutaenous water retention, assuming that you kept adequately hydrated. Although consuming more protein would mean that you need more water.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •