Page 11 of 91 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Wikked Sensations

Originally posted by Wikked1
    Aka: I want to aks more about cardio since I regard your knowledge as DAMN good. Are you saying that in your opinion I am performiong cardio at the worst possible time (first thing in the AM on an empty stomach?)
    It depends on your goals.

After an overnight fast, your liver glycogen levels may be nearly depleted. Your muscles may have a lot of glycogen left, but your brain cannot cannot use the muscle glycogen, so there is an increased risk of the body catabolizing muscle to get fuel for the brain. The amount of this risk depends on the type of cardio among other things. Higher intensity or longer duration increases risk because there is a greater demand for glycogen. In additional total fat loss increases with the intensity or duration of the cardio. After an overnight fast, you are likely to have reduced endurance and more fatigue so both intensity and duration may decrease. If your goal is to lose fat while preserving muscle, then doing cardio on an empty stomach or any other time when glycogen levels are low (for example immediately after weightlifting) is probably a bad idea.

If your goal is to get rid of that last little bit of stubborn fat, then the increased fat mobilization related to the low glycogen levels may be beneficial. Many bodybuilders do empty stomach type cardio in conjuction with various supplements that also increase fat mobilization. I recall reading someone (Lyle Mcdonald?) recommending getting rid of the last bit of stubborn body fat by doing AM cardio with some type of supplements. The cardio recommended was going as hard as possible for 5-10 minutes, then doing traditional mod/high intensity cardio for 30-45 minutes. Afterwards it was recommended to not eat carbs in the post workout meal, and instead wait 2 hours later.

I would recommend the first approach. The second is likely to result in lost muscle. It is hard to say just how much muscle would be lost in the second approach. The study at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract found that protein may contribute up to 10% of total energy during conditions of glycogen depeletion. Much of this 10% would come from the amino acid pool, but some may come from muscle protein.
    Last edited by aka23; 07-23-2003 at 03:08 PM.

Thursday July 24th

Well it's another early morning cardio session.....I did 15 minutes on the stairmaster yesterday (this is a real stairmaster works like an escelator) and then 15 minutes on the elliptical....my b*tch? they replaced my fav ellipticals with some new ones but the damn things seem to involve a lot more HIP ACTION so it makes you work it like a girl walks (DAMN doesn't that just figure?)!
    JUST my opinion.....
    OK the scale? This is the hard part..........184.5 this morning......my measurements are still in check......BARELY....arms are still holding......waist barely budged...chest lost maybe 1/2 " and the quads seem to have lost 1/2" grrrr waist get smaller damn it!!! I can't dip below 180 on the scale......if I get there and still no 6......I guess I will have to work the abs harder....
    I may have someone critique my diet a little bit but I swear I am eating so clean I squeak!
    OK randomness: Tunes I listened to this AM while cranking out some treadmill cardio
    ( some insight into my personality)?
    #1 Across the nation-Union Underground
    #2 Bang go the Bells-Babylon AD
    #3 Boyz are Gonna Rock-Vinnie Vincent
    #4 Downfall-Trust Company
    #5Matrix Lobby Theme-Powerman 5000 (YES I swear)
    #6 Flight of Iccarus-Iron Maiden
    #7 Don't tell me you love me-Night Ranger
    #8 Mouth for the war-Pantera
    #9 Wicked Sensations-Lynch Mob
    Treadmill session ended.....these are the kind of tunes I enjoy listening to while working out....LOUD and HARD.....what can I say? There's much more and once a head banger always a headbanger....thought I'd snap some PICS of my favorite cardio machine and post them later....

OK my favorite Cardio device(s)

These are a few of my favorite things.....1 hour on these and I am sweating my A$$ off.....of course it all depends on the selection but I like to keep most of it modern and uptempo.
    Shot #1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another angle

Last one....ho-hum....

Nice setup! Especially like the double bass. I know more than a few pusses that use that pedal with 2 strikers on it instead.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Thanks Bruteman I never saw the point of having two kicks running off one pedal I'd simply go with a single kick at that point but once you've gone to double kick nothing else will do unless you HAVE to make space......then it's single kick ,dual pedal time!

Thurday July 24th LEG DAY!!

SMITH SQUATS
    2 Warmup sets @ 135
    225X10
    225X7
    225X4/135X10
    135X14
    The power rack was being used and I was tempted to work in with this guy (he is frequently in the same time as me but he SQUATS a TON & has superb form) so I opted to pass He's doing like 455X4 the workout from stripping weights was more than I wanted BUT I will work legs with him soon.....I could learn a lot!
    LEG PRESS
    200X15
    300X12
    300X10
    300X10
    Going lighter allows me to keep a continuous movement going on these and I feel like this is a better workout for my quad at the moment......I should have done 400 but I was a little tired (all this cardio everyday is catching up with me)
    LEG CURLS
    120X10
    140X4/130X1/120X2
    150X1/130X3/110X2
    120X8
    150 really took a lot out of me BUT I was happy to crank out anything after that!
    LEG EXTENSIONS
    200X10
    250X7
    275X4/250X2
    250X6
    WOOOOO! I was drained by this point....my quads were flimsy and 275 felt like 375!
    SEATED CALF RAISES
    110X15
    155X10
    155X9
    155X7
    155X9
    The key to these for me anyway is to make sure I squeeze out at the top of the rep get way up on my toes as far as I can and squeeze the muscle. This muscle LAGS on me......being a drummer I have been making this motion for a lot of years so HI REPS won't do much for me......I am upping the weights next time around!

RANDOMNESS:LEG workout was intense BUT could have been more intense but the cardio sessions have taken a little bit of a toll on me. Partner .....recruiting a partner....hmmm
    Cardio again this morning...the mp3 player makes this time FLY by.....I could do an hour but on an empty stomach I've been holding it to 20 minutes......
    OH yeah I am SO ready for the weekend....just BRING IT!
    Last edited by Wikked1; 07-25-2003 at 07:52 AM.

Nice Leg day man! It always puts a smile on my face when I see someone doing dropsets on the leg curls.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Great leg session overall although I would like to compliment you on each movement! Good work my friend, lol TGIF

Bruteman:Thanks,Drop sets have become my "silent" partner if you know what I mean.
    CoCoa: You can say that again....it's been a week from hell up here in the North East......Damn hot & muddy all day & night....and the workdays have just felt 16 hours long!
    Thanks for dropping in guys!

Re: Thurday July 24th LEG DAY!!

I should have done 400 but I was a little tired (all this cardio everyday is catching up with me
    Nice leg day. Squats, leg press, and leg extensions in the same day sounds exhausting.

I also sometimes have run into problems with doing cardio near leg day. I minimize such problems by varying the type of cardio. I only do low impact cardio on leg day, and I try to avoid doing high intensity cardio on sequential days with high intensity leg work. My legs usually feel fully recovered when starting my high intensity leg workout.

Looks like a damned good leg day dude! I would at least talk to the guy doing squats. Just catch him in between sets or at the end of his workout. Sounds like he might have some useful information, or at least a good eye for form if you need help with it.

I found that my calves have started responding better to heavy drop sets than anything else. I especially like working them heavy in the 4-5 rep range. Do 3 drops at a weight where the reps stay about there and its essentially a higher rep set but with much heavier weight. Brutal on those calves. :evillaugh
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar
    <pops in to check out the scene>
    HI

you look great. you don't look 39. kudos.
    <leaves journal>

Originally posted by chops
    <pops in to check out the scene>
    HI

you look great. you don't look 39. kudos.
    <leaves journal>
    Thank you you made my week!

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    hey wikked, leg workout looks solid!

nice rep scheme, how long are you intervals between sets?
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Drums?! Since your a Raiders fan do you live in California? If you do I'm bringing my guitars and we are gonna jam! It'll be a cardio workout for you and a forearm workout for me.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Kenn:Thanks Bro. Right now I'm keeping them all to less than 60 seconds. Calf stuff I try to get in around 30 seconds.....but sometimes the cramps (in the feet) would force me to nearer to 45 seconds.(last two sets).
    Shane: Many regrets I'm on the East side dude
    The Green Mountain State.

Friday July 25th

ALright yesterday I was due for Chest & Tris BUT opted for Back & Bis instead. WHY? Well I made plans with a guy at the gym to work shoulders with him Today (Saturday) so there was no way I was making that Chest Tris/Shoulders the next day mistake again!

WG Pullups
    +25X4/+10X4
    +35X4/+10X3
    +35X4/+10X3
    BWX4
    Not progressing weight wise but reps are OK.
    SEATED ROWS
    160X12
    200X3/180X3
    210X2/180X3/160X3
    200X2/180X2
    150X8
    WHEW......these are work and my form was SOLID...none of this lean forward and use momentum it was ALL arms and back!
    T-BAR ROWS
    90X10
    135X4/90X6
    135X3/90X4
    135X2/90X6/45X6
    BICEPS BLASTER
    ALT BD Curls

5X40X4/35X1
    BB CURLS
    85X4/65X1
    75X5
    75X5
    75X4/55X1
    75X3/55X1
    My arms were getting fried cause I cut the rest down closer to 40 secs.....what a pump though!
    PREACHER EZ BAR CURLS
    *95X7/75X5/65X3*
    95X5/85X4/75X5
    95X3/85X6/75X6
    I was shot.....I had nothing left for opposing cable dbl biceps....good thing cause 1 side was broke!
    ABS
    my gym got some of these arm slings.....SWEET!
    I don't know what they are called but you put your arms through them and hang from a bar so you can do gorilla crunches N stuff....I love them!

STRAIGHT LEG REVERSE CRUNCHES w/above
    3XBWX15
    Yeah I love those my lower abs felt it BAD....!!!NEXT best thing to the roman chair that we DON'T have!

Saturday July 26th

SHOULDERS
    SEATED MIL PRESS MACHINE

WARMUPX2
    130X4/110X4
    110X6/90X4
    130X4/110X2
    OK best yes BUT I had a partner today......the guy I occasionally work chest with who just kicks my butt....so today we did shoulders and well between us? My normal shoulder routine is far more grueling! :EVILLAUGH
    REVERSE PEC DEC
    *150X4/140X3*
    150X3/140X2
    140X6/130X4
    I kicked a$$ here BUT this is usually LAST I do for shoulders.
    CABLE FRONT RAISE
    60X4/50X3
    70X2/60X3/50X2
    2 SETS? I was like COOL!
    SHRUGS
    225X15
    315X8
    315X6
    225X12
    NEXT TIME I am loading 405 on the bar just to see if I can sqeeze some out!
    30 minutes cardio

TANNING booth and home.....and boucing gleefully off the walls....I thought I was going to be sore and beat to hell BUT my routine is far worse......this pleases me (why? Cause "C" is 12 years my junior and well built but at least on shoulders I can handle his workout and then some!) YEAH BABY!
    I am trying to decide what feel better....I think Chops' comment in my journal feels best It made my week!!
    Last edited by Wikked1; 07-26-2003 at 10:16 AM.

Well let me add to that then my friend, you do indeed look great but I know you are working for more - so keep it up because these workouts look ace!

Re: Re: Saturday July 26th

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chops
    [B]
    I think Chops' comment in my journal feels best It made my week!!

tanning booth? tsk tsktuttut not good for you, skin cancer risks.

ever considered sunless tanning lotion? they do work really well.
    Last edited by chops; 07-26-2003 at 12:19 PM.

You're liftin' some good weight there man. How often do you do the tanning booth?
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Re: Re: Re: Saturday July 26th

Originally posted by chops

tanning booth? tsk tsktuttut not good for you, skin cancer risks.
    ever considered sunless tanning lotion? they do work really well.
    Never considered a sunless tanning solution nope...I guess the whole "body consciousness" thing has kind of taken over and it's strictly for aesthetic reasons. I usually only do it once a week....and only when the weather is crappy (this is the North East So.......generally speaking the sun doesn't always cooperate!

now for some weekend observations. Yesterday was so damn muggy I just sat around most of the day....This will strike weird with some I am sure but I absolutely LOVE going grocery shopping....Sunday's were made for this....fresh fruits and great cuts of meats just seem to be abound on Sundays....so when I got home I made a MONSTER batch of my marinara sauce with meatballs and hot sausage......I guess I might as well have said this weekend I got a massive carb load. (pasta...I have tried the whole wheat pasta and I'm sorry to report it SUCKS!)
    Watched NASCAR.....downloaded a bunch more mp3s and relaxed.
    Thought about taking the bike for a ride but that would have required putting some are in the tires and listening to the dog yip for 5 mins.....I declined....
    Anyway more cardio this morning....20 mins on the treadmill.......I have been seriously considering this and I will implement it this week to see if I can enhance some growth through more recovery time.....

Sun=Rest
    Mon=Weights/Early am Cardio
    Tue=Cardio/Early AM Cardio
    Wed=Weights/Early am Cardio
    Thur=Cardio/Early Am Cardio
    Friday Weights/Cardio
    Sat=Weights/Cardio
    I'll give it a shot for 6 weeks and see how it feels.....

i was going to start getting tanning sessions but then i visited a few beauty boards to read up on it, and read some pretty sad posts re: ppl getting skin cancer due to being sun worshippers. i stick with my bronzers ok..i'm off the soap box now.

funny thing about grocery shopping. i love it too! last night i went at 11pm so i could have the store to myself. lol, simple pleasures. don't know if you have them in your area, but whole foods grocery and trader j's are my favs.