The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 91 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    i agree with Mik. it sounds like you are making AWSOME progress. especially if you can see some veins now, odds are you are probably losing some BF% . also, with the water and making sure you get enough, have you ever tried taking a water bottle full of water along with you? whenever i go out for a car ride, i always bring a bottle of water along for the drive. same thing when im in school. just a suggestion. keep it up man!
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

great job! agreed on the compliments. Gotta love that because it makes everything worthwhile. Keep it up!
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

Diet......dinner to be posted w/Tomorrow's diet.
    5/27/2003 5:45 AM 6 oz Black coffee
    8:15 AM 2 cream of wheat & 2 Scoops Juiced Protein
    9:30 AM 1.5 oz cashews
    10:00 AM 20 oz water
    11:15 AM Uturn Bar
    12:30 PM WW Bagel 6 oz ham and mustard
    20 oz water
    2:20 PM Premeir 1 C&C protein bar
    5 oz Fresh strawberries
    3:00 AM 20 oz water
    3:55 PM Ultramet Shake
    4:40 PM 1 banana

Originally posted by Wikked1
    My water consumption goes to **** every time I stray too far from home…..(weekends) and I try like hell to get enough water but trust me there’s places where water is NOT what you want to drink.
    I agree with GhettoSmurf about the water. I often run into similar problems when going on a trip or when doing a workout outdoors. To avoid this I sometimes bring a bottle of water with me, like the type that cyclists use.

Couple things I have noticed……the veins on my forearms are becoming more visible on top ….., my waist has stayed the same but the firmness around that area really feels different….I don’t feel so sloppy…I’m still a long way for my goal BUT these couple things I have noticed…..I do enjoy that vascular stuff…I want veins popping out everywhere……LMFAO yeah how cool is that!? Damn I forgot to get a BF% reading this morning…….but I was kind of groggy …..lazy this morning
    ONLY in the AM and only on an empty stomach….I feel like the veins in the arms are a direct result of the cardio I have been doing……but STILL I can’t keep that bicep vein popped out……damn it!……
    Yes. Veins can really make you look lean. Congratulations on the improvements.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-27-2003 at 05:01 PM.

Originally posted by aka23

I agree with GhettoSmurf about the water. I often run into similar problems when going on a trip or when doing a workout outdoors. To avoid this I sometimes bring a bottle of water with me, like the type that cyclists use.
    I do the same thing. I always carry water with me if I'm going to be out for awhile. Drives my wife crazy though, having to stop off for "breaks" so often.

Let's see Today is a non weight training day....I HATE those.....I really DO! But I got on the treadmill for 28 minutes today....everything I read says to preserve mass limit cardio time to 20 mins. Yesterday's workout was good and I guess I really DO like working this split.......dedicating a full workout to shoulders just "feels" right.

Let's see Today is a non weight training day....I HATE those.....I really DO! But I got on the treadmill for 28 minutes today....everything I read says to preserve mass limit cardio time to 20 mins. Yesterday's workout was good and I guess I really DO like working this split.......dedicating a full workout to shoulders just "feels" right.
    i've heard the best way to preserve the most muscle, and lose fat, is with HIIT. have you ever read/looked into it? or talk to aka23. he knows his stuff about cardio

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

i've heard the best way to preserve the most muscle, and lose fat, is with HIIT. have you ever read/looked into it? or talk to aka23. he knows his stuff about cardio
    I agree, I've been meaning to start doing some HIIT for a few eeks now but I'm too damn lazy!

Wikked, today is an off day for me too. Hat'em with a passion b/c the do is so boring, but its a neccesary evil. Keep up the good work.....
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

Yesterday's workout SHOULDERS + ABS
    I resolve to start performing abs on the incline bench for added resistance!
    Date Exercise Set# Weight Reps
    5/27/2003 Seated DB Shoulder Press
    1 55 9
    2 60 7
    3 60 6

Front db raises
    1 25 8
    2 30 5
    3 25 6
    Reverse Incline Lat raises
    1 25 7
    2 25 7
    3 25 5

Shrugs
    1 225 12
    2 315 8
    3 315/225 7/7
    Upright Row
    1 65 12
    2 85 7
    3 85/65 5/4
    Reverse Pec Dec
    1 120 8
    2 120 7
    3 120/100 5/4

Abs 3 20-30

Looks like a solid workout man. Shrugs and presses are strong.

Let's see Today is a non weight training day....I HATE those.....I really DO! But I got on the treadmill for 28 minutes today....everything I read says to preserve mass limit cardio time to 20 mins.
    The fraction of muscle burned during cardio is usually insignificant. It becomes more significant during special conditions that are usually related to low glycogen levels. This includes doing extended cardio on low calorie diets or low carb diets, doing cardio in the morning on an empty stomach, doing extended cardio immediately after weights when glyogen levels are lower, and doing cardio that burns a lot of glycogen such as high intensity for long durations. Even during the most extreme conditions, less than 10% of energy usually comes from protein (including muscle protein).

Different authorities set different limits on how much and what type of cardio to do to minimize this. Some bodybuilding sites say limiting it to 20,30,40, or 50 minutes. Some more general sites go as high as 90 minutes. These recommendations usually fail to mention that energy usage is a function of intensity, as well as duration. As intensity increases, the fraction of energy from glycogen/glucose increases. Assumming you are not working out with lower starting glycogen levels, then you can safely workout for longer durations at lower intensities, but you might want to keep higher intensities at shorter durations. I doubt that 28 minutes would be a problem at any intensity, assuming you had sufficient starting glycogen and ate a decent meal immediately after the workout.
    Last edited by aka23; 05-28-2003 at 12:47 PM.

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    hey wikked, shoulder workout looks solid, nice overall strength going on!!!

since your cutting are you weighing yourself everyweek (same day/time) to make sure you are losing weight each week?
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Ok Guys I'm feeling maybe TOO comfortable on this board I feel like I might want to post a progress (a BEFORE & AFTER ) picture set......SO does anyone want to provide a HOW-TO post a pic without having to QUOTE a previous message OR must I do post a seperate file like so.....Almost a year ago.....July 2002 171 lbs.
    Last edited by Wikked1; 05-28-2003 at 02:23 PM.

BEFORE
    Attached Images Attached Images

AFTER
    195 lbs.
    This was 12/21/2002 I need to do an update.
    Yeah different pose ....and hell NO I ain't showing no legs in december man CASPER's A$$ has more color than my legs!!!
    And nah what's the point of shaving the upper body ...it's not what I would call RAZOR worthy......(YET)....I do need to put up a recent one....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wikked1; 05-28-2003 at 02:27 PM.

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    Awesome progress man! Lookin good, keep it up!

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    Damn bro'! looks like you really made some awesome progress with getting buff be nice to see some recent pics with you cutting and all.

I know what you means about the legs, you dont see no legs on my pics yet LOL, but their coming soon.........

really nice progress wikked
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

AWSOME job there man. seriously awsome. i think i better print those off and hang them in my room for some motivation
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    AWSOME job there man. seriously awsome. i think i better print those off and hang them in my room for some motivation
    When I first read that sentence I thought you said the other "m" word....if you know what I'm sayin...think I better go to bed.

Hey Guys,Thanks for all the kind remarks. wibble ! Dude I hope you got some REST! Maybe someone else can get a benefit from this thing....what I did was use it to motivate myself.....because it's a real b*tch to see changes in yourself....you can look all day long and not see them & I am pretty critical about my own body.....I would swear nothing changed so every month for the first 6 months I snapped a picture....then I would look at the OLD ones.....these two show the most change....and it helped me realize that my body was responding to what I was doing.......thanks again guys.....I do need to take a recent one....but I don't think the change has been that dramatic ....maybe a little more definition here and there but my weight is about the same....OH and I need to hit the tanning booth a coupel more times!
    Anyway DAMN you know this change in gears and goign back to a normal split....I started feeling it late yesterday afternoon in my shoulders and I liked it! Still there this morning......good thing it's LEG DAY today....I did my sworn cardio duty and after a little more aka23 feedback I changed the pace and upped the intensity level......strange thing is...I feel totally AMPED this morning....I am cranked up and ready to go....good nights sleep? Cardio change? my "biorythms" and all the planets were aligned? Hell I don't know I just feel WIDE AWAKE and ready to hit the weights right now......my morning weigh in was 192......ignore the scale I must IGNORE the scale!!! ....no matter where it dips down to.....I hope the ZIP stays with me until 5:00 when I can hit the gym!
    Anyway here's what I ate yesterday......note calories are down because it's a non-workout day...

5/27/2003 6:10 PM Uturn Bar
    6:35 PM 8 ozMeatloaf
    1 Large Baked Potato
    8:30 PM 1/2 Ultramet Shake
    5/28/2003
    5:45 AM 4 oz black coffee
    8:00 AM 2 servings of Cream of wheat
    8:30 AM Premier1 CnC bar
    10:00 AM 20 oz water
    10:40 AM 20 oz gatorade & 2 scoops juiced protein
    11:30 AM 1.5 oz Cashews
    12:30 PM WW Bagel 6 oz ham & Mustard
    2:00 PM 20 oz water
    3:10 PM Utrun Bar
    4:00 PM Premier1 CnC bar
    4:40 PM 1 Peach
    5:15 PM 8 oz Sesame Chicken
    2 cups Mac & Cheese

wikked keep it up man! hope the energy stays w/ ya! lookin good all around....

Damn man, that one helluva transformation! Seriously great progress Wikked1. Your hard work is definitely paying off.

By the way, I think your face is really pale.

Well here it is 4:30....DAMN clock is SLOW I swear!!! My energy level has diminished from this morning but overall a speedy day......could I possibly be psyched about leg day?? Not sure.....really I think it's just the day off....I'm anxious to get back in the gym......I'd like to do legs with a workout partner but more than likely it will be me & my discman....so today's music selection....something a little retro Skid Row Slave to the Grind....I must check out White Stripe....and I have to say it.....I really like MOBSCENE (the tune) by Marilyn Manson.......what's wrong with me!!!??? Any way......today's eats

5/29/2003 5:40 AM 4 oz black coffee
    8:10 AM 2 servings plain CoW (2) scoops Juiced Protein
    8:30 AM 20 oz Water
    10:30 AM 2 oz cashews
    11:30 AM Premier1 CnC
    12:30 PM 8 oz Chicken breat
    around 1-1/2 cups Mac nCheese
    the wife's a great cook but this is a little
    H-E-A-V-Y on the fats! Damn!
    12:45 PM 20 oz water
    3:30 PM Ultramet Shake (Chocolate)
    4:40 PM 1 Banana
    1 Peach

sounds good man. i agree with you though. at times during the day, especially hile im at school, im bored out of my mind and have NO energy what so ever.

BTW, was the mac n cheese from the "blue box" or was it homemade??

White Stripes is alright IMO. but not somthing that gets me in the "mood" to lift. Ill stick to the hardcore speed metal