Thread: Starting out

Wannabebig New Member

Starting out

I'm 160 pounds, 6'4". I'm looking to put some weight on but don't know much about calorie intake etc... what should I be eating. Also, all I do are pushups/pullups/crunches and I'm going to start running, i don't have the cash to go to a gym or buy weights etc... are there any good workout tips that don't have anything to do with weights?

This has been discussed 10 ^10 times before, but if you weight 160lbs, for a good mass building caloric intake take your BW X 15 and add 500 cals on that. Notice how much your weight changes and if you don't gain eating that much cals, up it 200-300 cals/day and see if that works. Eventually, you will get the hang of it and start gaining with no problem.
    "I will contend that, given sufficent protein and EFA's, you can get ripped on table sugar." --Lyle Mcdonald

"Not every user is the huge acne infested freak at your local gym," he said. "You'd be surprised at who your average steroid user is. He's that guy next door who has a wife, a few kids, and is taking medication to take his body beyond his genetic limitations. I'm ashamed to live in a society where men and women can have fat sucked out of their ass and injected into their lips, but when they inject a medicine that is perfectly legal in many countries, they're just considered villains." --Jeff Wilmoth

I posted this a few threads down, and should help somewhat.

Might check out the training forum in reference to your training questions. They are some people there that will be happy to help with your training questions.

Welcome to WBB

Here are a few guidelines that will help you get your diet in order.

1) Get at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight, and I would recommend getting them from lean sources such as poultry, eggs, lean beef, dairy products, fish, protein powder.

2) Make sure to get an adequate amount of essential fatty acids, and I would recommend getting ~25% of your daily cals from fat. the majority of your fat intake should come from healthy sources such as fish oil, olive oil, flax oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, etc.

3) You can fill in the rest of your daily cals with low glycemic index carbs such as oats, veggies, sweet potatoes, etc.

4) As far as the amount of calories you will need to consume daily, I would recommend slowly increasing cals in small increments each week until you are gaining a small amount of weight each week (~.5-1lb. per week). You can use a site like www.fitday.com to help you track cals.

For example, if you are currently eating 2500 cals and not gaining weight, then you would increase cals to maybe 2800 for a week. Weigh yourself at the end of the week and see if you gained any weight, and if not then repeat this process until you are gaining. I would recommend that you weigh yourself at the same time each week (first thing in the morning is probably the best time).

5) Drink about a gallon of water a day.

6) If you want you can purchase some whey protein to use in your post workout shake along with some high GI carbs such as dextrose/maltodextrin.

Hope that helps somewhat, and feel free to post your diet if you like