The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

skullcrushers to head or behind head?

wut is the difference in bringing the bar down close to your face, as opposed to bringing it down behind your head?

1. is there a difference in stress placed on any of the 3 heads of the tri's in doing one over the other?

2. also... is there a difference in stress placed on any of the 3 heads of the tri's when doing skullcrushers with the arms slightly bent and elbows flared, as compared to doing them with elbows tucked close to body?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I do them behind the head ,and really feel them this way.If I bring them to my face or forehead I feel a lot of pressure in my elbows.Besides you could whack your self in the face .Let you elbows go where they want to naturally go.Peace!

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Yup, I do it behind the head also.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

1 more for behind, it's the full range of motion, just do it slowly and don't build off of momentum <~~rapes your triceps
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    I go for my face. Gives me some extra drive if I'm getting too close for comfort.

I do them behind the head ,and really feel them this way.If I bring them to my face or forehead I feel a lot of pressure in my elbows.Besides you could whack your self in the face .Let you elbows go where they want to naturally go.Peace!
    :withstupi

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    i do them behind; i've tried them to the face or forehead, it hurts my elbows. plus, going behind the head opposes gravity more than going to the forehead i believe, so ur tris get more work
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

Banned
    do you guys keep your arms straight or slightly bent? I think bent would slightly stress the medial head of the tri's a bit more than if they were straight. Wut do u think?

you guys are entertaining. The reason all your elbows hurt is because the muscle tissue around it is weak. Hence this also shows you that it is giving you a larger ROM for your triceps with stronger isolation and the ablility to do heavier weight. Oh and keep your elbows tucked in to isolate your tris
    Last edited by p_t; 05-12-2003 at 12:00 AM.
    "Why is there always time to do things twice, but never time to do things right?"

Of the driver ilk
    Hahaha, your wrong.

Unfortunately you are wrong. Putting your elbow in an unnatural position can cause your elbow to sit in a bad position, causeing pain, as it is an out of the ordinary position. Or the elbow is simply not in the socket correctly. Ever noticed how when you kick the front of your knee with 177N of force it hurts, but when you do the same from the side, it breaks? Same concept with the elbow, it can only rotate a certain amount, and in certain planes of existence.

I do it behind the head, when I do it to the head I sweat more, and thus have a greater chance of killing myself.
    Last edited by Xg74; 05-12-2003 at 12:01 AM.
    "42"

what do you mean you sweat more?
    "Why is there always time to do things twice, but never time to do things right?"

it means he has to drink more water to compensate
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

Do it behind the head... the Arnold way.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Alls I know is if I flare out my elbows I could add 20 more pounds to my skulls but I'd feel like it was cheating. Keeping my elbows stationary and in isolates my tri's a lot more; It feels much harder to lift, but it doesn't hurt my elbows. The only time my elbows hurt a little is my first set, but after that they just get "warmed up." I see guys with their elbows all the way out, and it looks like they are using their lats.

To my head. I try to keep my elbows tucked in as much as possible, but they flare out a bit as I get tired.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Mine flare out when I get tired as well. I do em behind the head.
    "The only sin which we never forgive in each other is difference of opinion."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Word.

behind the head
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.
    To Master it, takes a life time - Buff Stuff

The answer to every query is, of course, "squats". - drew

BUFF