The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi there! I have a sets/reps question

First of all, it's nice to join this forum. Thanks to everyone who took time to look at my question. Your input is truly appreciated.

I am 22 years old (6'3, 210) and I've been lifting on and off for about 4 years now with pretty good gains. I am back home for the summer, without a job and with nothing to do but to tan and finally get serious about lifting.

My main question is in how many excercises/sets/reps for a body part would you recomend one do.

My workout is such:

Monday/Thursday: Chest/Back

Tuesday/Friday: Arms (biceps and triceps) and Shouders

Wednesday: Legs

I usually do 4 excercises, 4 sets a piece x 12, 10, 8, 6

More, less, or stay the same? Thank you.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Just a suggestion:

Push/Pull/Legs split - M/W/F
    2 exercises per bp.
    1-3 sets 4-6 reps

"The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Another suggestion:

Chest & Shoulders / Back / Arms / Legs
    2-3 exercises per BP
    2-3 sets, 5-8 reps

Selfproclaimed Fancy Pants wibble's Avatar
    I would do 3 to 4 exercises for larger muscle groups like your chest at about 2 sets each in the 6-8 rep range. This rep range will give you a mixture of strength and mass. If you want more mass, go for less weight with higher reps (10-12). For more strength, use higher weight and lower reps (4-6). For smaller muscle groups like biceps, 2 exercises of 2 sets is plenty. Same thing for triceps, quads you could go 3, etc... you get the idea.

Also, are you doing Chest/Back on Monday and again on Thursday? Or Chest Monday, Back Thursday? You should try to train each muscle group only once a week.

Good luck!

Wibble, I try to hit every body part twice a week. At least thats the "advice" I got from Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding

Is it really enough to train each body part once a week? if so, what about my weak areas. Could I train biceps, for example, twice a week?
    Never betray me again....

Of the driver ilk
    And he was on gear. It is enough to train only once a week, some people can even train less frequently (Chris Mason). Personally, if going for hypertrophy, once a week maximum (unless doing some HST type workout). Strength is a different story though. Biceps are more susceptible to overtraining due to their size, so I would definately not train them twice a week.
    "42"

:withstupi

You should really only train each muscle group once a week for the most part, especially small ones like biceps. Some groups are hit indirectly more than once anyway but you probably don't notice and even that little bit of work can promote growth. IE. Doing Weighted Chinups works your Chest/Biceps or Lats/Biceps depending on your grip. Triceps are hit while Benching, etc...

If you do it this way, I guarantee you'll have better results than hitting everything twice a week.

that all really makes sense! thank you guys! I will def. start working each body part once a week; that will make for a more enjoyable training session. God only knows how much I dreaded the shoulders/arms workouts twice a week, having to work biceps, triceps, and shoulders in one session

Thanks again, I look forward to asking more questions and maybe even answering some -S.-

what worked for me originally was doing 6x6 of everything to get me mass. Now I have been doing 4x8 to cut a little more fat but still gain size.
    "Why is there always time to do things twice, but never time to do things right?"

And how does 4x8 cut fat better than 6x6?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by wibble

You should really only train each muscle group once a week for the most part, especially small ones like biceps.
    No.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

No.
    Explain, please...

Originally posted by wibble

You should really only train each muscle group once a week for the most part, especially small ones like biceps. Some groups are hit indirectly more than once anyway but you probably don't notice and even that little bit of work can promote growth. IE. Doing Weighted Chinups works your Chest/Biceps or Lats/Biceps depending on your grip. Triceps are hit while Benching, etc...

If you do it this way, I guarantee you'll have better results than hitting everything twice a week.
    I seem to have read that the smaller muscle groups were the ones that could be worked more often because they were able to recover faster. The larger muscles only once per week because they required more time to recover. Was this bogus info?

Originally posted by Svyatogor

Explain, please...
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/...iningfreq.html

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

I train everything twice a week.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Hmmm, so are we basically coming to a conclusion (or no conclusion at all) that there is no universal truth about what 'range' to stay in?

Banned
    As do I, you're not stupid at all if you train a body part more than once a week. I'm on an HST workout, and have had many more gains from it than an average hypertrophy split. Don't dismiss something simply because you do not use it. He may have better results on a twice a week workout than a once a week workout.
    scott

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com...ainingfreq.html
    I'm quite surprised to see this actually. Everything I've read on these boards up until this date have lead me to believe that once a week was the optimal and only do it more if you're the type that can handle it without overtraining. Looks like a good read though, I'll have a look at it. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Banned
    It all depends bro. If you are training a body part twice a week, then only 1-2 exersizes should be used. Such as,
    Example chest workout
    Mon/Wed/Fri
    Bench pressx2

Or, Hypertrophy 3 day Split

Monday
    Bench Pressx3
    Incline pressx3
    Decline dumbell pressx2
    Dipsx3
    Overhead tricep extensionsx2

Usually around 4-8 sets at 3-20 reps is adequate to work a body part and induce hypertrophy.
    scott

i guess there is no concrete answer to my question, but will this help me get 'big'ger the summer:

Mon. Tue. Wed. Thu. Fri.
    Chest Back Legs Arms Shoulders

3 excercises per body part, 3 sets, 6-12 reps or to failure.

Banned
    Umm almost. If you think you wont get bummed working out 5 days a week then go for it. Also, you need to balance your body parts. Back is bigger than chest, so needs more sets. Biceps are tiny, so need no more than 6 sets, around 4 is fine. You get the idea.
    scott

I work out 5 days a week and love it. But anyways it all comes down to each individual, everyones different. There is no right or wrong workout. It's all about doing what works for you right.
    "Why is there always time to do things twice, but never time to do things right?"

Although it may work for you it may not be the most effective method in reaching your goals.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

My weekly routine is Mon-Fri. 1Chest, 2Arms, 3Back and Shoulders, 4Legs, 5Body resistance training.

Svyatogor

The issue with overtraining is typically an issue with the TOTAL volume, not frequency. HST is full body, 3 times a week, but you don't spend much time on any one given bodypart on those days (the workouts are still done in an hour or so).

You can range from something like that, or a McCallum routine, to splitting your workouts into 4 or 5 days, and spending more time on individual bodyparts with less frequency.

The key is progression. All of these methods will work to some degree - to what degree depends on the individuals' goals, desire, needs, likes, genetics, etc, etc, etc.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.