Thread: Soy Milk & Tofu?No Good For Men?

Soy Milk & Tofu?No Good For Men?

Oh Great!
    Now I have been told that Soy milk and Tofu are no good for protien for men when they weightlift.Apparently great for Women but will prevent muscle growth in men...2 seperate people told me that this week...
    Please correct me if this info is wrong?I am trying to give up bananas too...
    So should I stick with skim milk, Egg whites, 9 grain cereal,Tuna, Chicken and Flax seed..
    Awaiting your answers...
    Vanfreak
    "There's no sinner without a future and no Saint without a Past"
    -Babajii Indian Guru

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...threadid=31243

Check towards the bottom of the above thread. There is a link to an article there

I eat soy and I haven't had any bad affects I eat it one meal a day or every other day.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

i herad that soy lowers t-levels...just my 2 cents.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Originally posted by greekboy80
    Probably just a rumor. Soy has alot of healthy benefits.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

actually ive also HEARD (not read, or found) that it does lower t-levels in men. but like i said, thats just what ive HEARD.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

i drink a plentiful amount of soymilk.. i sure hope it has not derogatory effects. to health
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

Originally posted by GhettoSmurf
    actually ive also HEARD (not read, or found) that it does lower t-levels in men. but like i said, thats just what ive HEARD.
    I wonder if that has something to do with the estrogen and soy protein.

Of the driver ilk
    Well from a study (or something) from that one company that sells "custom" proteins (I forget the name now, I'm sure someone knows it, they have all the descriptions of their products, really in depth research etc.) Soy protein isolate does not contain the antiandrogenic properties, but soy from the bean does.

I will tell you though that since I have stopped using soy Isolate, and eating a lot of soy products (now I just eat Kashi cereal in the morning) my arms have continued to grow. Where previously they have lagged compared to my other muscles.
    "42"

I heard all these rumors when I first started eating soy and soy is a good source of protein. and soy will not give you bitch tits and yes it works as a protein source fro men as well.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

Read the article that Bradly linked to.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

i think i put that wrong, i read in mens health soy can increase estrogen levels. which could also lower t-levels, and prob hurt your lifting. good read above to...

IMO, soy won't hurt your lifting at all.

i think i put that wrong, i read in mens health soy can increase estrogen levels. which could also lower t-levels, and prob hurt your lifting. good read above to...
    Did you read in this article about phytoestrogens?http://www.maxsportsmag.com/science/issue12/12s3.htm

Here are some interesting quotes"

Phytoestrogens, or the plant "version" of estrogen found in various edible foods, such as soy and soy protein, serve primarily as weak precursors to estrogen production. The isoflavones found in soy, for example, are similar in chemical structure to human estrogen, but Shippen notes that typically such estrogens have only about 1/500th the active effect of estradiol, the most active human estrogen.
    Men have fewer estrogen receptors than do women. Additionally, there is a technique for manipulating these sites in men so that genuine estrogen is minimized: Shippen suggests that high levels of phytoestrogens compete with the female hormone for receptor sites, block its actions -- which can include some inhibition of pituitary functions -- and stimulate the P450 system in the liver to more actively process and excrete excess estrogen.

Susan Kleiner, Ph.D, RD, author of Power Eating, notes that phytoestrogens tend to overwhelm estrogen in competing at the receptor site level. "That's why we use phytoestrogens for both men and women who have hormonal-involved cancer," such as prostate or breast cancer. So, the process is absolutely clear: If you want to block estrogen, take moderate amounts of isoflavones.Soy protein is a great source of isoflavones, providing that you can find a soy protein that has the isoflavones in it. "Isoflavones can be found in soy protein, but not always, " advises Kleiner. "High heat or chemical processing can damage and deplete phytoestrogens and isoflavones. Some soy protein powders I had analyzed had no isoflavones whatsoever, even though the label touted their benefits. ."