The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

400lb 2 bar deadlift, 225lb powerclean, 405lb squat, and 200lbs OH in any way

I've decided to start a new journal because I'm going to try to focus more on the above goals in my training. My training will be a little more organized, due to that...

Basically, there will be a deadlift day which will either be a 20 rep death set or single, doubles, triples, 5x5, or something of that nature. Once I feel well recovered from this workout and my posterior chain feels recovered in general, I'll do a powerclean workout, same reps/sets possibilities. In between or every once in a while, I'll have a heavy squat workout, probably just singles-triples. And OH presses will consist of push presses, lockouts, presses from rack, regular, etc... with barbells or dumbells, 1-6 reps. I'll still be doing some heavy benching and curls, pullups, rows, and other stuff when I feel necissary. Not much is changing except I'm really trying to push those 4 lifts.

Bodywise I'll be gaining weight fast hopefully I want to get over 200 FAST like I did with 185 last time I bulked. I'll get a little tubby I know, but with all the 20 rep death sets, I'll be growing muscle like a freaking gorilla either way. I may go back to drinking a gallon of milk a day, since that's about 1500-2000 cals and 140-160g protein in addition to my regular diet.

The deadlifts I'm talking about are done with 2 EZ curl bars, weighing 20lbs each. The bars are loaded and placed at the sides, as if you were doing a trap bar deadlift. Then you just keep the bars straight and do a regular deadlift with them... My goal is to have 2 45lb plates on each side of both bars, which is 400lbs total. I did my first workout yesterday, doing a 20 rep death set with 220lbs total, and liked it alot. I think they'll go up fast.

My OH press has always been slow going up, so hopefully I'll really be able to push it up this time, I may even dedicate a day completely to overhead pressing.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

goodluck man,those look like some pretty kool goals.cant wait to see your workouts and progress.
    i think those deadlifts ur talking about are called suitcase deads or soemthing like that.

btw, wat are your current bests for squat,OHpress and the weird dead lift thing?
    Last edited by shredder; 05-13-2003 at 10:09 PM.
    weight: 155?
    height: 5'9"

-LONGER TERM GOALS-
    benchpress: 275x1
    military press: 160x1
    deadlift: 405x1

F'IN BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! wooooooooooooo
    i seen ur pics you're small, you're metabo is decent so EAT!!!woooooooo

this is krazy, soon J will appear and split your neck loose cuz your loonier than he is, or i am!? i dont remember!!
    and shaggz will blow smoke up your ass
    and madrox will go schitzo on your ass
    and monoxide will blow newports in your face
    why you ask? i don't konw, but i do know its gonna be loony and tahts just what we are..

loony
    excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.

YEP!
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

good luck bro. ill be rooting for ya~!~
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Originally posted by kook
    F'IN BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! wooooooooooooo
    i seen ur pics you're small, you're metabo is decent so EAT!!!woooooooo

this is krazy, soon J will appear and split your neck loose cuz your loonier than he is, or i am!? i dont remember!!
    and shaggz will blow smoke up your ass
    and madrox will go schitzo on your ass
    and monoxide will blow newports in your face
    why you ask? i don't konw, but i do know its gonna be loony and tahts just what we are..
    NINJA!

Werd to your moms
    I came to drop bombs
    That's mah rap
    I'm out peace

Originally posted by shredder
    goodluck man,those look like some pretty kool goals.cant wait to see your workouts and progress.
    i think those deadlifts ur talking about are called suitcase deads or soemthing like that.

btw, wat are your current bests for squat,OHpress and the weird dead lift thing?
    I haven't maxed out on a full squat in a while, but I'd say its probably around 315 right now. OH press would be about 125, and deadlifts who knows, maybe 300?

Bench

Yesterday:
    Incline DB press
    70x2!! I probably could've done 4 or 5 reps after getting the 1st one up, but I just wanted to break that barrier, and be sure about it with another rep

Bottom position bench Did these about an inch of my chest. I'm just gonna do them from resting on my chest from now on, since there isnt a hold that lets the bar 'graze' it.

45x5
    135x5
    185x.5 Ahh it flew up the first 3-4 inches, then wouldn't budge...
    175x1.5 2nd just wasn't gonna go... Still, happy with the rep!

Floor press Did these 1 hole lower than usual, so that's an extra 1.5-3 inches of movement

225x0 Not even close, still....
    205x1, or maybe it was 2, ah **** was too tired to care. Good set

Low wide cable presses
    50x6

70x4+ fly negative drop to:
    50x8 ss with
    5 pause explosive pushups

Bottom position close grip bench press
    45x5
    135x3 Felt really good

Cable pushdowns
    drop set:
    130x2
    110x4
    90x5
    70x8
    110x2

Squats tonight, WOOHOO!!

I haven't done full squats in a while, been focusing on quarters and olympic lifting, so this should be interesting.... I think I may do an OH press workout tomorrow to if I feel up to it. Then I'll rest till next monday or tuesday, lord knows I need it...

THE SQUAT!

For the record, my warmups almost always consist of running for 1 minutes on the treadmill at 7mph, and 10-20 hyperextensions holding a 20lb dumbell to my chest, then lots of stretching.

Squats...
    45x5
    135x5
    225x3
    245x 6 reps on my own, went down for another and didn't come up, had a guy help me lift it back to the top, got back under the bar, rested for 30 seconds or so, did 2 more reps on my own, went for the third, and the guy helped me a little even though I didn't need it, and helped on the fourth rep when I did, wished he wouldn't of helped so much, but still a DAMN good set.

A guy asked me if I played football for a high school or something, and I was like........ no.

Didn't feel that I had done enough. Put the bar resting at bottom position and loaded it to 225. It was a long shot, 20lbs above the most I've ever done at the BEGINNING of my workout, but hammered out a solid single out. It went up pretty slow the first half, then flew. Felt great!

Leg press SS with BW jump squats
    290x3
    380x3, barely got the 3rd, 10 jump squats

My vertical isn't going up fast at all. I really want to be able to hit rim on a basketball goal, and I need another 6 inches or so to do that. I may start doing jump squats more... If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Weighted hyperextensions SS with leg curls
    I really feel the hyperextensions in my glutes and hams in addition to erectors. I think this is one of the best exercises I've been doing or could do to add lbs to my squat, deadlifts, olympic lifts, etc. especially since my erectors were REALLY weak coming back into serious lifting in January due to my injury... Really hits the erectors and glutes hard at the top position, which is also the position which is hardest to hold or maintain, where my body is a little higher than parallel to the floor. I add weight to them by holding the EZ curl bar as if I were doing a zercher squat. Its not too uncomfortable, and it prevents me from cheating by rowing, curling, etc...

70lbsx10 + 1 3 second hold at top position
    then ran to leg curl machine
    drop set:
    130x.5
    110x4
    90x7

Regular straight bar curls
    95x6

Switched to EZ bar curls:
    90x5

Cable curls
    80 or somethin around there x 10
    supersetted with EZ bar curls
    90x2.5

krazy krazy workout, i love it, seriously, how many people do you see doin this kind of workout? nobody, people probably look at you and have this certain type of opinion about what you can do and then all a sudden bam they get hit wit a big a stones you been tossin around

i've been thinkin about jump squats too to stick in my workout, how do you do yours, just a squat and then power up and jump at the top? i was thinkin about putting rubber bands around a bar, then attaching them somehow to the bottom of the rack and do jumpin squats with that, i'm not sure though, i'll check up on what the westside team is doin for legs
    excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.

Check out blitzforce's journal, he has some good vids of box jumpsquats, and he uses them in his workout often.

I origionally started using them because after I did a squat workout I was in no mood to work my quads, so I'd do a set of leg presses and jumps to finish them off, but theyre alot of fun, and really help with endurence/speed/explosiveness/etc.

The way I do them is squat full down, rounding back to get more ROM and explode up, swinging your arms up with your upperbody.

You can weight them to and use better form, or do them off a box or flat surface, similar to westside box squats.

Your band idea would work fine, you'd just have to be careful with the bar, as jumping in the air with alot of weight can be very dangerous...

I do alot of random cardio, and its making it hard to gain weight fast. Like tonight I played 3 hours of basketball hard with nothing but water during those 3 hours. I do stuff like that all the time, not to mention what we do in weightlifting now. Since no one does anything, the coach decided to make us do complexs... every day... These complexes are basically 5-6 exercises, 4 stations each with decreasing weight, mainly focusing on 2 or 3 muscle groups. Its killer, but a decent cardio and endurence workout. Plus sometimes he makes us go outside and run up and down a hill holding a medicine ball over our head or throwing it as far as we can or hopping on one foot or somethin random like that.

Still, I'm making progress. I drank a half gallon of milk last night like it was nothin, then I looked at the cals, 1200 with 64 grams of protein. I was like...... whoa...

Workout

Decided to actually work hard at school today... Now I won't have to do cleans tonight

Regular barbell bench presses
    145x6
    155x6
    155x4+2 forced
    155x4+2 forced
    155x1+5 forced
    All of these were supersetted with medicine ball chest drop passes, 20 throws each set.

Close grip pulldowns
    115x6
    125x6
    135x6
    135x4+2 partials
    All of these were supersetted with medicine ball overhead throws

Farmer's Walk
    75lb dumbells x 2 sets

Walked on my toes. I just went with these until they were about to fall out of my hands. They were harder than usual because the handles were thicker than most, maybe 1.5-2 inches thick.

My grip was seriously dead after that.

Barbell shrugs
    135x10
    225x5
    225x3
    135x15

The 225 wasn't working at all because I couldn't hold on to the damn bar. The pulldowns and farmer's walk just killed me.

BB powerclean and push press
    135x3
    135x3

This seemed really light today, flew. It might've been partially because I was using rubber plates instead of iron. I missed one of the presses, but only because I didn't push with legs, reset and got the rep. Other than that the presses went up really easily.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 05-19-2003 at 12:10 PM.

nice, i bring straps with me on my back day i go no straps untill i feel i realy really need them, usually my last 2 heavy sets, once the forearms are dead then ill just destroy my back you know

http://wannabebigforums.com/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&threadid=31467

Coo. That works.

I've promised myself to never ever use straps though, so no break for my forearms :P

Worked out tonight. After all this today I should probably rest until thursday at least....

DB shoulder press
    20x10
    50x6
    40x5+2 forced
    40x3+1 forced
    40x2 forced

Machine military press
    60x8
    60x4 drop to 40x8 front military press

DB lateral raise dropset:
    25x6
    20x4
    15x6
    10x5
    5x8

Low wide cable bench press
    60x8
    80x1
    70x4
    70x3 drop to
    50x6 SS with
    5 explosive pushups

Tried the 70's at incline db press, couldn't even come close after bench presses and shoulders and cable work etc...

Bottom position close grip bench press
    45x5
    135x3+1 forced
    135x2+2 forced SS with cable rope pushdowns, did a dropset, don't remember weights...

Burnout...

I'm gonna try to go to bed at around 8 tonight, which would give me 10+hours of sleep, which I need. I had a little too much stress on my body packed into too few days, and school+work+church doesn't help at all...

I forgot to say that I weighed 185 last night. I've weighed that much before, but this time I'm not a fatass

Squats

Feeling much better.

Did this workout at school, so it wasn't nearly as good as most.

Squats Did these with a padded squat bar, the one that's supposed to take more of the weight off of your back. Consequentally, since my hams are what usually gets me through a heavy squat, I couldn't use as much weight. It felt like I had to drop much further than normal, hit my glutes and quads like the 2 bar deadlifts do.

65x10
    155x5
    245x3
    295x2 I shouldn't really count these, had too much help from my spotters. The first rep I dropped way too low, and on the second rep depth was good, but I was leaning over too far and was already tired from the first rep. I think I could've nailed this easy on a regular bar. Good set either way, quads and glutes are fried.
    245x3

Close grip pulldowns
    105x8
    130x8
    150x6 No one else in the class was usin this much weight, I love to show off in that class

damn this is like the most hyped up journal i've come across. y'all sure are excited about lifting.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Originally posted by Tryska
    damn this is like the most hyped up journal i've come across. y'all sure are excited about lifting.
    And that's why we're growing

I've put 80lbs on my squat since 5 months ago.

if we werent excieted about lifting, we'd still be excited about killing!! and the normal everyday"gruntin is not necessary"people wont be so excited about that!!!

damn i feel like i've just popped one of my minithins. i'm all excitied to be in this journal now!!!!!

excellent work on that squat meathead!

Originally posted by Tryska
    damn i feel like i've just popped my cherry!!
    nows it's gettin exciting!!

ooh child, that thing was gone a long long time ago. *lol*

you can still dream