The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Limit Liquids Taken With Meals

I read this today in a book called Rock Hard Super nutrition of bodybuilders. By Robert Kennedy.

"Drinking liquids with means can dilute the stomach's hydrochloric acid concentration to a point where the digestive enzymes can't function at optimum level. Digestion suffers, especially with respect to muscle-building proteins, which will be excreted from the system instead of being efficiently assimilated."

I was wondering what some of your opinions are of this?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

im not sure if its true or not, but i usually have at least a half litre of water with each of my meals.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Squarehead, did it mention what kind of liquids?
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

No just said liquids. I assume anything including milk and such. Just anything that dilutes the digestive fluids in the stomach. Remembering this is just my take on what was written.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

did it say anything about the amount of the liquid?
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

I wouldn't follow that article. Water is very important, especially to keep hydrated.

Ghetto: Just to limit the ammount.

Iron: Well yes but you could limit your liquid comsumption arround and after meal times. lol I dont think he ment to the point of dehydration.
    Old Journal

-PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

i could MAYBE see how it could possibly delute the stomach acid. but to me i think you would almost have to drink an un-godly amount of liquid to have that happen.

Dont know makes sense to me as the stomach is not all that big..
    Last edited by SquareHead; 05-17-2003 at 08:43 PM.
    Old Journal

-PwrMajt:

A Fortnight Dead
    It's been discussed here before, I believe.

Our conclusion. if I recall correctly, was that the theory was bunk.
    "human kind/
    Cannot bear very much reality/
    Time past and time future/
    What might have been and what has been / Point to one end, which is always present."

-T.S. Eliot. "Four Quartets."

"Redistribution [of wealth] is in effect far less a redistribution of free income from the richer to the poorer, as we [had] imagined, than a redistribution of power from the individual to the State."
    -Jouvenal

Fear me, I am the bandersnatch.
    -Paul Stagg

I think your body would respond with more acid being secreted by the abdominal wall if ph levels dropped to a point where digestive enzymes could not function properly. Have no clue if this is true though?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Stomach acid does two things:
    1) converts pepsinogen to pepsin
    2) denatures proteins

The food will be completely digested by pancreatic and small bowel enzymes, whether or not stomach acid is present. People who take proton pump inhibitors (like Aciphex) or H2 blockers (like Tagamet) don't have digestion problems. Nor do people who've had a vagotomy or who are naturally achlorhydric.

can u drink as much water as u like though?

Originally posted by Dkm911
    Yes since the protein will be digested whether or not the stomach acid is diluted or not.

originally posted by Delphi
    The food will be completely digested by pancreatic and small bowel enzymes, whether or not stomach acid is present.

I recommend it

feel free to drink as much as you want. it just depends on how often you feel like going to the bathroom

Wow good info, thanks guys. Now I want to throw away the book.
    Old Journal

-PwrMajt:

The Nothing
    Originally posted by GhettoSmurf

feel free to drink as much as you want. it just depends on how often you feel like going to the bathroom
    Dang, who else is always taking a piss? I took like 3-4 within 2 hours last night because i was downing bottles of water like it ain't no thang.

LOL! I'm pissing like every 10 minutes.