Thread: Struggling with Bench... suggestions?

Banned

Struggling with Bench... suggestions?

What up y'all, new member. I've been working out for about 3-4 months now and every part of my body is looking and feeling bigger... but there is something about Flat Bench Press that is not improving. It's like I hit a wall or something. When I started, I was maxing out at about 155-165. I'm maxing out now at about 225lbs... but it hasn't improved for about 3-4 weeks. I think I'm doing something wrong.

Only supp's I'm taking is occasional Whey Protein and the beloved Cell-Tech. I'm 5'6" 175lbs. Not really fat, but the beer is killing me

What is your diet like?
    It's a big part of making gains.

What is your routine?

Try increasing your triceps, lats and deltoids strength....these muscle groups come into play (especially tric and delts) during your bench.

Or..microload...like add 2-5lbs onto the bar (if you have plates that small).

Or, get away from your bench and strengthen other similar lifts (like inclines or db presses or weighted dips)....sometimes, it's good to step back for awhile.

Just some suggestion!

Have you changed up your routine? I've found that to be the single most beneficial thing to do when I hit a significant plateu.

For instance: I changed from chest and triceps on one day to chest and biceps...put my back/biceps day into back/triceps etc. That gives the body parts a new cycle of work/rest which I think helps the building process respond better.

Also, look at your set/reps. If you've been doing say 3 sets of 12 reps try moving to 4 sets of 6-8 and heavier weight.

Lots and lots and lots of stuff to try when you hit walls. Some walls are harder to knock down than others, but they can all come down. I've been stuck on 365 BP max for sometime, but I am changing things up and feel it starting to work already with my reps getting easier. I'm sure I'll break-through soon and hopefully have another gain streak. If not...time to change things up again.

:withstupi

and post your routine
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Banned
    Thx for the replies. My diet is simple. oatmeal, tuna, fruits, and water pretty much during the work hours.

My chest work out varies but the constants are 6-8 reps and I always do Flat Bench. workout 4 days/week and do Chest only usually on Mondays, or Tuesdays. Off on weekends. I've been doing flat bench, inclined dumbell press, dumbell fly's, and the cable crossovers. 3 sets of each exercise. Maybe I should be doing less weight, more reps?

Add 5lbs to your sets next time and see what happens.

Banned
    Originally posted by Berserker
    Add 5lbs to your sets next time and see what happens.
    Ok, s**t will start falling on my face then. are u sayin do more weight less reps?

its common to see results right away and then stop for awhile. could also try not doing flat bench for a couple weeks, and then go back to it.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

I am saying you might be surprised. I was doing 6-8 once when got to 8 would add weight. Couldn't get the 8 the rep. Add 5 and still did the same reps as last week. I am not guaranteeing it will work.

Originally posted by -YZ-
    Maybe I should be doing less weight, more reps?
    Your want to increase bench you got increase the weight, so I wouldn't lower the weigh just to get more reps.
    Also what are you doing for your triceps?

If none of that works, try this http://www.musclemedia.com/training/...benchintro.asp

I guarantee at the end of it youll be benching 250+ (7weeks)
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Banned
    Originally posted by Berserker

Your want to increase bench you got increase the weight, so I wouldn't lower the weigh just to get more reps.
    Also what are you doing for your triceps?
    I do arms on the same day, usually Friday. For tri's I do dumbell press, inclined tricep raises with the curl bar, pushdowns with the cable. Seems to work for me so far. I'll try putting on some more weight... maybe i'm over-reacting.

You should post your routine. I like doing tris on differant day, that way they get hit twice a week. Tris are abig part of the bench. So if you want to get a bigger bench need bigger tris.

Along with everything everyone else said, maybe you would do better if you focused on the part of the bench that you're having trouble on...

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, I may have misread something)
    If getting the weight off your chest is the hardest part, then perhaps wide grip bench might help.
    If you're having a hard time on the middle section, then doing bench presses on the floor WITH a spotter might be a good idea.
    If you're having a hard time locking out, then you could try using chains.

Also, make sure your rotator cuffs and triceps are in good shape, and consider doing Front Raises.

And again, it might be time to just take off from bench for a month or two and focus on other exercises that will strengthen the muscles used in bench. If you do an exercise for too long your nervous system might have trouble adapting and your body may be used to it and prevent you from doing getting much better at it (I don't recall the exact science for this).

Good luck!

I was stalled at 135 on my bench for, well, ever. Finally my friend got sick of it, added 20 lbs to the bar, and suprisingly enough, I could bench that just as well. It may all be psycological. Just add 10 more lbs (or better yet, have a friend do it when your not looking) and see what happens.

I also dropped my rep range to the 5-6 area.
    Some mornings it just isn't worth chewing through the restraints.

Tiny and Mighty
    I was at a plateau for 6 months. Found out it was my ****ty diet. Also, you may want to take a 2 week break from bench press if all other efforts fail. Sometimes a rest is all you need