The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wanted: A good cutting diet

I have been on the CKD for 5.5 weeks now and noticed awesome results on it, however, if you look at my other threads in here, you will see why I stopped it. Now, I am looking into a balanced cutting diet to lose some more of this fat. Since I have been researching stuff about the CKD for a long time now, I have almost forgotten all the necessary information when it comes to just a normal cutting diet.

I am 195lb 11.5% BF. I want to be able to get down to 8% or lower. Should I go with a 40/30/30 diet or something similar? Also, if there is already a diet made up that you guys know about that could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=87

read that interview, all three parts. Very good info contained in there.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Just make sure you are in a caloric deficit at the end of the day and that you are consuming adequate amounts of protein and EFA's. I would go with approximately 1g of protein per lb. of bw and about 25-30% of calories from fat (mostly healthy fats). You can fill in the rest of your cals with low GI carbs, except for postworkout in which high GI would be ideal IMO.

I would also recommend reading the article below that is related to refeeds.
    http://www.theministryoffitness.com/.../article18.htm

Thanks for the links. I was sure that there were some other threads around, but I just couldn't find them.
    "I will contend that, given sufficent protein and EFA's, you can get ripped on table sugar." --Lyle Mcdonald

"Not every user is the huge acne infested freak at your local gym," he said. "You'd be surprised at who your average steroid user is. He's that guy next door who has a wife, a few kids, and is taking medication to take his body beyond his genetic limitations. I'm ashamed to live in a society where men and women can have fat sucked out of their ass and injected into their lips, but when they inject a medicine that is perfectly legal in many countries, they're just considered villains." --Jeff Wilmoth

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Ace, why not just cut calories?
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Originally posted by Ironman8
    Ace, why not just cut calories?
    I feel that if I simply cut calories, I will not lose as much as I would hope for. I guess I have just been spoiled by a keto diet. I have never actually done a regular cutting diet before and since the CKD was the first that I tried and had good luck with, I decided I might as well start with the TKD now.

Do you think I could get the same kind of results by just cutting calories than on the CKD? I lost 5%BF on the CKD for 5.5 weeks. Do you think I could accomplish this by simply cutting calories?

IMO, it depends on many factors. Dedication, genetics, metabolism, etc. I would experiment.

Originally posted by Ace
    I feel that if I simply cut calories, I will not lose as much as I would hope for. I guess I have just been spoiled by a keto diet. I have never actually done a regular cutting diet before and since the CKD was the first that I tried and had good luck with, I decided I might as well start with the TKD now.
    Ketogenic diets are not some magical diet. You still lose weight because you are cutting calories and creating a caloric deficit. Yes, they do have some advantages over other diets, like an appetite suppressing effect in some people.

Originally posted by bradley

Ketogenic diets are not some magical diet. You still lose weight because you are cutting calories and creating a caloric deficit. Yes, they do have some advantages over other diets, like an appetite suppressing effect in some people.
    So do you believe that you could get the same fat loss off of a regular cutting diet, ie. simply cutting calories?

Originally posted by Ace
    So do you believe that you could get the same fat loss off of a regular cutting diet, ie. simply cutting calories?
    Yes if you are creating the same caloric deficit with both diets. You might see a little difference in the amount of weight that is lost but as far as a large difference no.

You have to keep in mind that the ketogenic diet will have a large weight loss at the beginning of the diet due to the initial loss in water/glycogen.

Originally posted by Ace

Do you think I could get the same kind of results by just cutting calories than on the CKD? I lost 5%BF on the CKD for 5.5 weeks. Do you think I could accomplish this by simply cutting calories?
    under 500 Cals/maintenance(3500Cals in one week!) a day for one week will drop about 1lb. of fat.

5 weeks in and I've lost about 1% body fat, and I'm barely under a calorie deficit, if I'm actually even in one. I've just been eating healthier and around 2,000 Cals.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
    5 weeks in and I've lost about 1% body fat
    That doesn't sound very good.

well I'm like 7% now, so it's pretty hard to keep stripping fat and retain muscle, I've actually gained a pound, and I'm still able to add plates each week, beginners phase I guess(4 months on WBB#1, 6 months b4 that I began overtraining and found this site), will dread the days when I start gaining slowly.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

I am trying to get my numbers straight here if I want to start a normal cutting diet. I am 195lbs, 11.5% BF.

Cals: 2300
    Protein: 230g 920cals
    Carbs: 172g 690cals
    Fat: 77g 690cals

What do you think of that breakdown?

That is just the simple 40/30/30 breakdown.
    Last edited by Ace; 05-19-2003 at 02:32 PM.
    "I will contend that, given sufficent protein and EFA's, you can get ripped on table sugar." --Lyle Mcdonald

"Not every user is the huge acne infested freak at your local gym," he said. "You'd be surprised at who your average steroid user is. He's that guy next door who has a wife, a few kids, and is taking medication to take his body beyond his genetic limitations. I'm ashamed to live in a society where men and women can have fat sucked out of their ass and injected into their lips, but when they inject a medicine that is perfectly legal in many countries, they're just considered villains." --Jeff Wilmoth

that looks good IMO.

now its just rial and error. try it for a couple weeks and if you notice you are gaining weight, or losing weight too fast adjust the cals.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Looks good Ace. Just keep in mind, lose 1 pound per week

Looks good Ace. Just keep in mind, lose 1 pound per week
    blah! 1 lb a week is for pussies!

Heh. But dude, you'll probably be losing muscle if you lose more than 1Ib. per week.

Heh. But dude, you'll probably be losing muscle if you lose more than 1Ib. per week.
    I have heard 2-3 lbs a week is sufficient.

Originally posted by Ace
    I am trying to get my numbers straight here if I want to start a normal cutting diet. I am 195lbs, 11.5% BF.

Cals: 2300
    Protein: 230g 920cals
    Carbs: 172g 690cals
    Fat: 77g 690cals

What do you think of that breakdown?

That is just the simple 40/30/30 breakdown.
    Why start a cutting diet with cals so low? What are you calories at currently?

I have heard 2-3 lbs a week is sufficient.
    I think you can lose more than 1lb. a week, but why risk losing LBM? I am not saying that you can't lose more than 1lb. a week and it all be fat.

Originally posted by bradley
    Why start a cutting diet with cals so low? What are you calories at currently?
    That is 500 minus my maintenance cals and those are basically the same cals that I was working with while I was on the CKD.

Did you start at 2,500 cals and reduce until you lose weight?

Did you start at 2,500 cals and reduce until you lose weight?
    I just took my cals for the CKD and are using them. My maintenance calls are 2900, so I figured my CKD cal numbers of 2300 would suffice.

Originally posted by Ace
    That is 500 minus my maintenance cals and those are basically the same cals that I was working with while I was on the CKD.
    I was just curious if you were coming off of a higher calorie intake and just dropping cals by a large amount initially. The above sounds fine IMO.

3 pounds(of fat) lost in a week= 10,050 Cals dropped.

unbelievable to lose only fat at that many Cals, you'd lose more muscle than fat.