Thread: Lifting STraps!

Lifting STraps!

Has anyone else tried these when deadlifting? My grip always went out when I got to my heavier sets, I couldn't grip 185 for more than 3 reps or so because my damn hands. I got straps a few days ago and pulled 210 for 8 reps for my last set- not a lot but I hope to be at 300 x 1 soon . I always wondered how my bench was more than my deadlift, will my grip continue to get any stronger when I'm using straps?
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Your grip will slowly get stronger with straps, as you still need to hold on. But if you go without straps your grip will become stronger faster. My advice would be to leave the ego at the door and your grip will come. work on your grip ith some farmers holds they work great for grip strength.

454SS

i had the same prob and posted it about 2 weeks ago. i was lifting 225 4 times before my hands were giving out. the secret is ...using the over/under grip. i today,(2 weeks later) lifted 285 6 times with no slippage in my hands. easy as pie, i just alternate the over/under between the sets. you could get straps, but it would limit your forearm, hand, and grip strength.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I say get some chalk, it actually has been working far better than straps for me, plus it will let the bars condition your hands as well as your grip.

If you must use the straps, I would have to say that you should get a good gripper from Ironmind and some chalk (for the gripper) to keep your grip up to snuff while you use straps for heavy lifts.

Originally posted by greekboy80
    the secret is ...using the over/under grip.

It's incredible how good that grip is. Grip has never been a problem with me ever since with DLs.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

yep, over under. You can always do some static holds in the rack to get your grip up to par.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Over/under+chalk= ace!!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

I'd say the knurling on the bar can be a HUGE factor. Back at school for some reason, they sanded down all the knurling on most bars to make it softer (probably for the curl jockeys). I always inspected the bars before I deadlift to find the one with the best knurling. I don't have any figures, but I wouldn't be surprised if the difference between good and bad knurling might be about 50-100 pounds of grip strength (if you think about the difference in the coefficients of friction).
    5-9 170

Originally posted by ryan1117
    I'd say the knurling on the bar can be a HUGE factor. Back at school for some reason, they sanded down all the knurling on most bars to make it softer (probably for the curl jockeys). I always inspected the bars before I deadlift to find the one with the best knurling. I don't have any figures, but I wouldn't be surprised if the difference between good and bad knurling might be about 50-100 pounds of grip strength (if you think about the difference in the coefficients of friction).
    damn right, always look for the best bar, my gym has a bar that keeps moving around that has no knurling!????

use the straps once your forearms and grip is dead for the day
    excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.

Of the driver ilk
    I use straps (but never for maxing) and to supplement the lost grip work I add in some farmer's walking and some static BB holding to keep working it (as well as some sledge hammer GPP). Keep working the grip, and use straps if you have to.
    "42"

Thanks, Ill try the over under grip and see how that goes
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Don't hate tha playah
    also you could try, don't have a clue what it is called, where you grip over your thumb. So basically your thumb is under your fingers instead of over them. It hurts a bit but you get used to it. It won't give out unless you rip your thumb off
    got beef?

height - 5'10"
    weight - 207lbs
    goal - 190lbs
    arms - approx 17"
    chest - approx 45"
    waist - approx 35"
    quads - approx 25"
    calves - approx 17"

Wannabebig Member
    Farmers walk excellent for building strength. Super advice all. Patience and persistance key factors Good Luck!