Thread: Deadlifts: How necessary is a lifting belt???

Deadlifts: How necessary is a lifting belt???

Just looking for some opinions because I have heard both that they're absolutely necessary and others that say they're optional
    While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us. -- Ben Franklin

I started using one recently when deadlifting, for me it's more piece of mind than anything. I hear it reduces the chance of injury, though.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

i dont see why you'd need one for lighter weights. but if you are lifting pretty heavy poundages i dont think using one would be a bad idea
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

belts , they are optional, and you can use them. But I feel they rob from your progress. when you wear a belt it tightens the core muscles which allows for to lift more easily. But in the end you do not get as strong as you would without the belt. this goes for pretty much any exercise you would use a belt for.

but thats just my 2 cents

454SS

There was a long discussion on belts that some revived a few threads down.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    I feel belts have their place. They do have the POTENTIAL to reduce the chance of injury. A person first should train without a belt first and get comfortable without one *develop good form* with some serious poundage. Then it is up to personal preference if you wear a belt. I personally don't wear one right now because I am still working on form and upping the poundages to the point where wearing a belt is warranted. Once I am at that point I will concider wearing a belt.
    w00t

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Not necessary.

That being said, learning to push my air into the belt, I can lift more with it on.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    I injured my my back a month ago, so I use a belt.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Originally posted by LATMAN
    Not necessary.

Just curious. Would that above statement still apply in a lifting meet? By that I mean would you go up against someone (an experienced powerlifter like yourself) who was wearing a belt and you were not? Just wondering how far that statement can be taken. This is not a dig at you, just honestly curious.

beercan
    Originally posted by LATMAN

I can lift more with it on.
    Does that answer your question EA?

lol
    "I do declare; still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    One of the reasons I deadlift is to strenghten those muscles that have the role of a lifting belt. So I'll never use one.

I have never used one.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer