The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Calves size

Calves size

What would you consider a respectible size?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    I heard that to be in good proportion, the typical person should match neck, arms, and calves (not pro bb'ers, of course).

Respectable size is then a relative thing.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Well, since I've been on the cut my arms have shrunk down to 16", but my calves are 17.5" cold. I think they might look slightly out of proportion.

Wannabebig New Member
    A respectible calf size is dependent on the individual and his/her genetics . . . There is no exact "respectible" size.

But here is a great method to get them to their full genetic potential:

COOKED CALVES--IN UNDER 4 MINUTES

How are your calves? Mine suck. Actually, by normal people's standards, they're pretty good. But by bodybuilding standards...well, let's just say that Dorian Yates wouldn't be intimidated by a toe-to-toe comparison.

So if my calves are only "so so", what makes me qualified to write an article on
    calve training? Doesn't it make more sense to hear from someone with
    extraordinary calves? Ironically, anyone with outstanding calve development is
    the last person to be giving advice on improving the lower leg. They're the ones
    who have it easy -- the lucky few born with lots of fast twitch fibers in the lower
    legs. That's because, more than any other muscle group, the size and shape of
    one's calves is determined by heredity. People with a genetic disposition for
    shapely muscular calves need only to walk and their calves will look good.
    Bastards.

For the rest of us mere mortals, it's different. Like most bodybuilders, my calves
    have always resisted growth--so much so that not too long ago they bore a
    striking resemblance to a pair of pool cues. It was pitiful! I've had to battle for
    every centimeter of growth but despite all the effort, nothing
    seemed to help. I tried everything. Then it hit me. It was so simple. (As most
    "discoveries" are.)

After years of trial and error, I finally found the secret to adding precious muscle
    tissue onto those stubborn soleus.

HEEL UP--HEEL DOWN--WHAT ELSE?

Let's face it, the calves are pretty limited in the way they can be trained.
    Everything is a toe raise of some sort. Add into the mix that they don't provide a
    satisfying pump, as is the case when working the chest or arms. They just burn.
    The key to killer calves isn't in the exercises, but in the method in which they're
    employed.

There are two theories to calve training. Because the muscle group consists of
    mostly slow twitch (red) muscle fibers, the potential for growth is limited. Slow
    twitch muscles are designed for endurance, leaving the presumption that the
    calves should be trained with high reps. The opposite school of thought is:
    because the calves are used to performing thousands of reps each day (walking
    and running) they need to be "shocked" with low reps and heavy weight. "Light"
    work won't work since the thick ankle bone and Achilles tendon are capable of
    withstanding tremendous pressure, therefore it stands to reason that working the
    calves with a heavy load would be necessary. Both theories are valid. Both
    theories are flawed.

GET IT OVER WITH!

It's been my experience that calves respond best when worked quickly. That
    doesn't necessarily mean that the reps should be fast. Instead, the total reps
    should be condensed into as little time as possible.
    That's the key.

It may be hard to believe that any workout session that lasts for only a few
    minutes can be very effective. Yet, in the case of calve training, it's not only
    possible--it's preferable.

Here's how it's done.
    Pick only one calve exercise. (I prefer the seated calve raise.) Your goal will be to
    reach 75 reps.

Use a weight that you would normally choose for a twenty rep set.
    Complete the 20 reps and continue until you can't do another rep.
    Rest just long enough for the burning to subside (no longer than 10 seconds) and
    continue with as many reps as possible, even if it's only 5 reps at a time.
    Proceed in this fashion until you reach the target goal of 75.
    That's it! Total time? Under 4 minutes. Granted, it's a very painful four minutes,
    but four minutes nonetheless.

WARNING!
    You may feel a tinge of guilt that the routine took so little time but you'll have a
    different point of view the next day when your calves are aching like they've
    never ached before! Do not be tempted to do more work! Wait and see. If you're
    still able to walk, you either didn't go heavy enough or you allowed too much time
    between "sets."

Once you're able to tolerate this routine, increase the number of reps to 100.
    Once that becomes too easy, (which I wouldn't count on happening in the near
    future) add more weight.

I found this routine to be, by far, the most effective method for packing some well
    earned muscle onto the calves. Even the hardest gainer can add size and shape
    to their lower leg as long as they can tolerate the torture required to "keep going"
    and complete the work out in as short a duration as possible. But make no
    mistake about it--when following this program it's going to feel as if someone is
    pouring acid on your calves! (And who says calve training can't be fun?)
    Now you don't have any excuses. Four minutes is nothing! But a great pair of
    calves is a most envious "finished touch" to the complete physique. If this routine
    worked for me, (stick leg Nellie) it can work for anyone. Give this four minute
    workout a try for a month and see for yourself if it doesn't make a dramatic
    difference in the size and shape of your calves.

Even if your calves aren't your best bodypart, there's no reason they can't look
    good. All it takes is 4 minutes a week. And a high tolerance for pain.

Don't hate tha playah
    k sorry new body i feel the need to step in here, your method sounds very good and i am definetly going to give it a try. The one thing I don't like is your exercise choice. Now my muscle theory is a little shady for the calfs but from what i remember there are to parts of the calves and doing seated calf raises targets the wrong one. Do something like donkey calf raises or standing calf raises and I think you'll see more substantial gains than with calf raises. Now discredit this if you like beacuse of my lack of solid information. Also i might suggest doing some skipping, that has helped me get that seperation between the two heads of the calves.
    Last edited by b33fc4ke; 05-16-2003 at 02:07 PM.
    got beef?

height - 5'10"
    weight - 207lbs
    goal - 190lbs
    arms - approx 17"
    chest - approx 45"
    waist - approx 35"
    quads - approx 25"
    calves - approx 17"

I think you need soleus and gastroc, not just one of them.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Thanks for the article new body.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

I don't beleive in the bicep/calve ration. I think the relation to the size of your legs is more important. My calves are 16+ by biceps almost 15. Since I don't walk on all fours you really don't see them together.

would your killer set for calves work for bi's/tri's as well?
    Or are calves unique in there construction?
    Crazy looking intimidatiing meathead with no neck - MadFistBT

Originally posted by Berserker
    I don't beleive in the bicep/calve ration. I think the relation to the size of your legs is more important. My calves are 16+ by biceps almost 15. Since I don't walk on all fours you really don't see them together.
    You are out of proportion.

It has nothing to do with how you USE your muscles... it has only to do with the size of each muscle.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

My point was you don't really see the calves and biceps in the same view. I would think calve to thigh ratio would be more important. Persoannlly I think calves and biceps are close in size so people came up with this rule of thumb.

I was pretty shocked that my calves and arms were the same size. I've always had what I considered <and many people agreed> insane calves. They are always striated and huge regardless of my BF% whether I even worked out at the time etc. But my arms while bulky never had the kind of definition my calves do.

I recently measured both and they were nearly identical at 18.5" each. Quite surprising to me. I'm hitting both pretty hard now so it will be further interesting to see if they grow at a proportional rate over time.

huge calves are awesome, even if they are bigger than arms or whatever, if they are big, they are good. **** proportion

proportion needs only to be considered when you see pretty boys wearing shorts in the summer with 2 toothpicks sticking out of their shorts.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Proportion and symmetry are the basis for having "the look". It's one of the most important things judges are looking for in bb comps. I'd say that makes it pretty important.

Bigger doesn't mean 'better'. No one wants to look like Popeye.