The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goal 170# 10%BF

also, how often do you weight yourself? and is it at the same time, place, etc.?
    I weigh myself before bed and in the morning after a shower....I like the numbers at night....

maybe you are just gaining too fast. maybe if you slow down a bit and try for .5-1 pound gains a week you wont gain BF as fast?
    I agree but first I'm going to get my BF down some....at least I can see what needs improving... will try and get a pic up when I get home....

cutting starts today.....
    bw 167
    bf 20%

started taking hydroxycut....good engery boost....not even 7 am and already hungry

lets see what happens....JOY!!!

well back to square one....
    this morning
    bw 164#
    bf 19%

what's killing me is cardio....it's been over 10 yrs since i've done cardio....my diet is good...cut my calories in half...taking hydroxycut (which works great) It's only been a few days and I have lost 6# and bf stayed the same....will continue cutting and try to get my bf down as much as possible for another week...then I will bulk again with a different diet (with less fat) to try to keep my bf down....

I start 3rd shift monday might have to make more changes to workout and diets....its hard for me to eat at 1am, 3am and 5am

been awhile since my last post....nothing to post cause I have now workedout for over a week due to this damn cold/flu....head hurts...runny nose....cough...etc.....diet not good.....been eating alot of soup...and blan foods...figured I'd try and post a pic...its not the best pic (to dark) but I like it....pic is few weeks old was around 169# 19-20% bf.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

back and feeling better.....hit the weights today....going to try a new routine....chest and back on Mon...legs on Wen....and arms and shoulders on fri.....with cardio on tue, thur and Sat......

whats going to set me back now is that I started 3rd shift 11pm-7am...which makes it harder to eat and train....thats why I'm changing things up....

after 2 wks of cutting 162# and 17%bf....I need to work on my cardio (alot).... dropped 8# and 4%bf....going to stay off the scale for awhile and let things ride.....

nice job with the loss so far. what type(s) of cardio do you plan on trying?
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

going to try HIIT.....seems to work for aka....found this article on musclemedia.com that starts out slow(30 sec intervals)....I started today felt good will increase my intervals next time....

diet was good could use better whole foods (to many shakes)

sleep 7hrs....with help from a little pill....unisom

this graveyard shift is killing me.....sucks....

my diet is not good....still hard to eat at 1am 3am etc...

works have been good but also suffering.....the only good thing is my cardio....went for a run Sat morning with my 2yr old that was fun....nice and cool at 6am....will try and do it every Saturday...

going to take these next 3 months (due to this shift) to try and cut my BF down....since I can't eat good (eat alot to bulk)...will have low cal intake and keep doing cardio 3 days a week...with weight training 3-4 days a week (depending on my sleep)

my bw is down to 162 and my bf (flux) is 17-19% depending on the time of day...... will its 11:30 pm I guess I should start working only 7.5 hrs to go....yea....

nothing new to post....did not work out on Monday due to the 2 hrs of sleep....was ready for bed when I got out of work....
    sleep was good almost 8 hrs
    going to double up today with cardio and chest/back if possible

will post my diet just cause it really sux and maybe seeing online will make try harder....

Monday (which started Sunday night due to shift work)
    Enchilada cassarole (twice) Sunday night and leftovers at work
    (corn tortilla, lean groundbeef, sauce and cheese)
    apple and yogurt some water and diet coke
    slim fast before bed

Tue (which started monday night)
    Teriaki chicken with steamed rice and green beans (twice)
    apple and yogurt some water and diet coke
    whey shake (post workout) with creatine

still hard to eat....

did cardio today.....1 min intervals at 5.0 - 6.0 (i think) for 10 mins could have gone longer...need to setup my cardio...I will try for broke on Thursday....

no weights...muscle spaz on my right shoulder...didn't hurt but was twitching like crazy.....

sleep fair....7.5 hrs....woke up once (DAMN DOGS)

diet
    whey shake with cretine/glutamine (post workout)
    sleep
    pasta with ground venison(twice leftovers at workx2)
    yogurt
    apple
    diet coke and some water

need to lift more and eat even more

Back in the gym today... have been working out at home need something new and more motivation.....lots of changes in the gym (been 6 months since I last visited) I don't understand why some guys have to use flat benches to do bicep curls and one guy was resting his weights on a flat bench... while he did standing curls....I guess he couldn't bend down to pick them up....the gym has plenty of other benches with back support for curls and mil press.....

did a full body workout due to not knowing where I stand so this was more of a note taking workout for next week.....plus this was the only workout for the week...cardio until monday....

as for motivation...2 hot chicks....one grey bottom was on the treadmill....busting some major cardio sweat dripping off her....2nd was wearing white bottoms....with an a$$ you can bounce a quarter off.....and she was doing legs/glute workout....all I can say it was intense/hardcore..... hope this motivation is there every morning....

better workouts and better diet coming soon.....

July 7 (Happy B'day to me)
    my day starts on the 6th due to my graveyard shift.....
    had 2hrs sleep ate dinner then another hour before I went to work total of 3 hrs....

Cardio for 5 mins x-glider
    Chest/Back
    DB flat bench press 50*8, *8
    felt good will up it next week
    DB incline bench press 35*8, 40*7
    I had at least 2 more in each set but stopped
    Assist dips...pin set at 60*9, 50*10
    can do normal dips but I did these at a slower pace for more of a burn
    Cable pull down (behind the neck) 120*6, *7, 125*7
    got a cramp on the 1st set could have done more
    cable rows 120*6, *5
    starting to feel the lack of sleep
    DB rows 40*7, *7
    did these slow 2sec up hold 2 sec then down 2sec will go up next week
    assist chins pin set at 50*5
    again did this slow for more of a burn
    abs....leg lits

DIET day started sunday the 6th
    dinner lean ground beef pattie with sizzlean & swiss cheese and grilled zucc (wife cooked what can I say)
    the rest if the night was mainly snacks
    1 can tuna
    2 egg whites
    almonds
    carrots w/light cream cheese and cott cheese
    1 mozz cheese stick
    1 20oz diet coke
    gatoraid with creatine, glutamine
    1 yogurt
    post w/o whey shake with creatine and glutamine

supp 2g flax, 2g fish oil and 1g vit C
    this the longest entry I've made more to come for better tracking

July 8th
    sleep 5.5 hrs woke up 3-4 times...not good
    diet (started dinner July 7th)
    pork loin chops pan fried w/olive oil with mashed taters (had this meal twice leftovers went with me to work)
    coffee
    almonds
    watermelon
    carrots w/light cream cheese
    mozz cheese stick
    2 whey shakes (one post w/o)
    gatoraid with creatine & glutamine
    pre work slim fast (yes slim fast wife has a case sitting there worked great plenty of energy)

workout Legs ( I really sux on legs at one time was my best body workout)
    warmup
    squat 115*7, 135*6, 145*6
    could gone heavyer or done more reps will adjust next week 1st time doing squats in over 4 yrs will go slow with this one)
    leg press 90*10, 140*10, 160*9
    again will add more weights next week
    leg curls 25*6, 30*6, 30*6
    this machine is odd each leg is done seperate (will new to me) put a strain on my knees
    calf raise machine 200*12, 220*10, 240*6

supp 1g flax, 1g fish oil

good work plenty of energy maybe the slim fast. Had to make it a quick w/o, met the wife and the boys for imunization. Got home late after some shopping went to bed late (11:30am)

sleep 5.5 hrs again woke up 3-4 times
    diet dinner...chicken breast with green, yellow and red peppers some onions....(crockpot yummy) grilled zucc... ate this twice leftovers at work
    coffee
    almonds
    mozz cheese sticks
    whey shake
    yogurt
    banana
    gatoraid with creatine/glutamine

two main meals everything else was snacks ...wow looking at this day sucks....

need to get a short term goal...other than my orginal goal 170# 10%bfn (leaning to lowering my bf due to my crappy diet)

training off day

7/10/03
    sleep 5 hrs woke up few times
    dinner FAST EDDIES BURGER loaded with avacodo, jalapeno and cheese yummy
    coffee
    cott cheese w/mandarin oranges
    lean courmet frozen dinner (not good I know)
    diet coke 20oz
    cott cheese w/mandarin oranges
    pre w/o yogurt and banana
    gatoraide with creatine/glutamine
    post w/o whey shake
    before bed....3 egg whites 1 whole, 2 corn tortilla's jalapenos, cheese and a splash of tomato sauce.
    1g flax, 1g fish oil, 1g vit c

cardo elliptical 5 min, 5 min and 10 min....still trying to figure out this damn machine ...it keeps telling my heart rate is to high...need to figure out what my heart rate should be or need to figure which is more important sweat or heart rate????

d/b curls 25*10, 30*7, *5
    will start with 30 next week
    ez cable curls 70*7, 80*8, 90*5
    will try machine preacher curls next week
    con. curls 20*5, *5 (no rest between sets)

tri 'v' bar pulldowns 110*10, 120*10, 130*4
    these punk kids strarted woring out next to me...got boost of energy and went for 130.
    o/h d/b extensions 20*6, 20*6
    these hurt my elbows
    kick back 20*10, 25*10
    will try and up these next week

sleep 5.5 hrs
    dinner Tombstone pizza
    coffee
    cott cheese mandarin orange
    weight watcher meal (thats all could find to bring to work)
    diet coke
    handfull of cashews (walmart was out of almonds)
    mozz cheese stick
    pre w/o banana and yogurt
    gatoraide
    post w/o whey shake

Cardio elliptical machine 20 mins 201 cal 1.73 distance not good but for future reference

military pres machine 50*10, 60*7, *5
    first time using this machine was odd but I will use it more often and hope to go heavy and be safe
    arnold press 40*5, 35*5, *5
    the first set was difficult I think use my shoulders were spent from cardio (holding the handles)
    side lat raises 20*6, 20*6
    again same as above....next week will do shoulders first then cardio
    abs leg lifts 2 sets and crunches 2 sets

hot chick from last week was there today but no white shorts was wearing warm-ups...

Umm, JIG aren't you married?

The hot chick reports are cool, but usually it's single guys that keep them... tuttut

Originally posted by JIG
    cardo elliptical 5 min, 5 min and 10 min....still trying to figure out this damn machine ...it keeps telling my heart rate is to high...need to figure out what my heart rate should be or need to figure which is more important sweat or heart rate????
    HR forumulas such 220-age are just estimates. They do not work well for everyone. There are many alternative forumulas, which are also estimates. You might want to rely on perceived exertion, if you do not trust the HR measure. You can read about the Borg percieved exertion scale and associated MHR% at http://healthandfitness.com/newsarti...&fromhome=true

Scott S....dude I'm not dead...I still have eye ball liberty. when I retire and the sands of South Beach guess what I'll still have eye ball liberty. Which my gym had more hot chicks....I have better workouts when theres a hot chick in the house.

AKA23...thanks will try the 220-age since I don't understand Borg's RPE scale. Lets say I'm a 13-14 somewhat hard now what. What do I do with this number? A person who is not condition could say there 15 mins of exersice is 19-20 very, very hard for them. Maybe I justed understand the scale. The 220-age gives me a good starting point.

Thanks for the input and thanks for reading my journals.

Diet over the weekend not to bad. Had some fast foods....a grilled chicken breast buger and a BBQ burger...sleep was not good since I worked overtime Friday night was up for almost 30 hrs. Had a 3 hrs before work tonight.....Everyone here is waiting to see whats going to happend in the Gulf of Mexico. Yes I'm down here in south Texas. Will need to start working now....

Originally posted by JIG
    Lets say I'm a 13-14 somewhat hard now what. What do I do with this number? A person who is not condition could say there 15 mins of exersice is 19-20 very, very hard for them. Maybe I justed understand the scale.
    You multiply the perceived exertion by 5 to get the estimated pecent maximum. So 13-14 would be 65-70% of your estimated maximum. I agree that the scale seems very subjective and may have poor accuracy.

Originally posted by JIG
    The 220-age gives me a good starting point.
    The 220-age formula works farily well for me. According to the article, the formula is +/- 12 for 68% of the population. Some alternative formulas and ways to estimate max hear rate are listed at http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/maxhr.htm and http://www.heartmonitors.com/exercis..._heartrate.htm .

AKA23...thanks....for the websites will check these two out later, they seem to have alot of info.

also forgot to say I did sleep Saturday night for 7 hrs... after reading my post It looks like I slept 3 hrs all weekend.

Ha-ha, JIG I was just messing with you. It's impossible not to check them out! BTW, nice job with the cut!

14 July 03 sleep 3 hrs before work (graveyard shift) Monday's are the worst day.
    dinner was early chicken breast, grill zucc and spinish salad
    then bed for 3 hrs
    coffee
    popcorn 98% fat free
    wieght watcher meal
    apple, cashews, banana, yogurt, mozz cheese stick (snacks not all at once)
    post w/o gatorade....before bed whey shake with creatine

cardio (elliptical machine) was good 25 mins 286 cal 2.34 distance (for future ref.)
    got my heart rate up around 181bpm(10 min into cardio) but could not keep there dropped down to 170bpm which was a bit better for me to keep (for the last 15 mins).

chest: flat d/b press 50*10, *7
    incl d/b press: 35*10, 40*5
    pec deck: 60*7, *5 drop set 45*4
    abs: leg lifts 2 sets and crunches 2 sets

was a bit tired due to lack of sleep. chest training (if you call it that) was lagging today. I think its due my cardio and using my arms on the elliptical machine. Not sure if I'm working out tomorrow depends and the tropical storm in the gulf. I live west of Corpus Christi.

sleep 6.5 hrs good sleep woke up once
    dinner was beef tenderloin with a salad fat free dressing
    coffe
    cott cheese w/ pineapple
    cashews
    weight watcher meal
    diet coke
    2oz leftover beef
    almonds
    gatorade
    apple, banana
    post w/o whey with splenda (not sure if this count for dextros & malto but its all I could find in small town USA) will hit the city this weekend
    fitday says cals 2165 pro 111 21%, fat 91 38%, carbs 238 41%

cardio was at home treadmill did 1 interval 8 mins long @1 min intervals....then a 4 min @ 30 sec intervals...could have gone faster on the sprints but went with my last settings.

no weights today

all in a good day had to rush home due to Claudette making landfall soon. Lucky for us it was north of us. Got only 1 in of rain and mild winds...

someone at work saw me eating cott cheese w/pineapples and said "dude is that how you stay SKINNY" I said yea....he then said "I wish I could be SKINNY" which I replied WILL DO SOMETHING ABOUT FAT ASS....he didn't like that.... I didn't mind be called skinny cause I'm trying to lose some bf. BULK LATER after I see my abs.